GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,470 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which game/mechanic is missing in my collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agent Dale Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started board gaming 2 years ago and bought 12 games since that time. I focused mainly on the top 200 of BGG in order to get ideas for my next purchases. The games I own are:

Light games:
Settlers of Catan (Negotiation)
Thurn and Thaxis (Route building)
Dominion (Deck Building)
Carcassonne (Tile Placement)
Catan Card Game (2 Player Game)

More complex games:
Agricola (Worker Placement)
Glory to Rome (Card Game/Variable Phase Order)
El Grande (Area Control)
Imperial (Rondel/Economic)
Navegador (Rondel)
Race for the Galaxy (Card Game/simultaneous action selection)
Troyes (Strategy game with dice/interaction)

My Question:
My goal is to have a small(-ish) collection with a lot of variety. If you look at my collection what would you say is a game or mechanic which is missing completely? Or if you would own only the games I own, which games would you add if the limit of games owned would be about 16 ish?

Thanks in advance!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Might it be that you're missing the auction mechanic? Get Power Grid. Goa is great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't have a cooperative game (like Defenders of the Realm, Pandemic or Flash Point: Fire Rescue)

You don't have a traitor game (Battlestar Gallactica or Shadows over Camelot).

You don't have a building game, like Caylus or Lords of Waterdeep.

You don't have an auction game, but I can't think of one right now at 2:36AM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fletcher

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
I would suggest a

civilization building game - Clash of Cultures, Civilization, Through the ages

Ameritrash - Merchants and Marauders, Twilight Imperium (epic and long)

Rail game - Baltimore and Ohio, 18xx (tons of options really)

Chit pushing / war game - Twilight Struggle (One of the favorites among my friends)

Political - cosmic encounters

Sabotage - The Resistance, Citadels, Battlestar Galactica

Co-op - Battlestar Galactica, pandemic, space alert, space cadets

Dexterity - Catacombs

RPG/dungeon crawler - Descent second edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fletcher

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
I also think Cyclades sounds like a fantastic mix of strategy and auction mechanics. Automobile is pure economic goodness as well.

Cyclades is on my buy list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
+100000 on Cyclades!!!

+10000 on Battlestar Galactica!!!

My absolute favorite games; pure awesomeness in a box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
DistopianContinuity wrote:
+100000 on Cyclades!!!

+10000 on Battlestar Galactica!!!

My absolute favorite games; pure awesomeness in a box!

+10001
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dare I suggest really branching out beyond your initial comfort zone with an abstract:

YINSH

And a wargame:

Combat Commander: Europe

Maybe even a dexterity game:

Bamboleo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...seems the auction mechanic is the most glaring hole.
The most obvious way to fill that hole is Power Grid. I, personally, am not a big fan of Power Grid. It just seems to drag for me. Other auction games I like MUCH better are:

Goa (but getting near impossible to find...its out of print AGAIN)

Homesteaders

I havent played it, but its a classic: The Princes of Florence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how to class these, but there are games where you are loosely allied with a ‘partner’ for part of the game, but you want to beat them too. Games that fall into this category:

* Wars of the Roses
* Krakow
* And to a lesser extent - Goblins, Inc.

Also missing are those random chaotic games like Goblins, Inc - Galaxy Trucker, Factory Fun- games where you pull random tiles and do the best you can.

Might want to add a straight-up war game, so most anything from GMT. Speaking of GMT...you might want to try Twilight Struggle which is not quite a war game, some strong aspects of area control but cards and other elements thrown in that make it...special (it is number 1).

But I think it is more important to find the games you gravitate towards than to buy one of everything. Go to a game event and try some of these, but don’t feel compelled to own one of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Co-op: Hanabi, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Flashpoint: Fire Rescue
RPG: Mice and Mystics
Abstract strategy: Hive Pocket, Tsuro
Deduction: Battlestar Galactica, Mr. Jack Pocket
Dexterity/thinking: Ghost Blitz
Racing: RoboRally
Party: Dixit, Zombie Dice, Cards Against Humanity
I don't know what category these are but they're light and fun: King of Tokyo, Red Dragon Inn, Family Business, Gloom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chan
Canada
Port Moody
BC
flag msg tools
Might I suggest a couple of smaller fillers? One of the 10 days series (10 Days in Asia is my personal fav), For Sale, or Pit come to mind.

+1 to thematic games like Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game or Cosmic Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
You need PARTY GAMES!

Time's Up! Title Recall!, Wits & Wagers, Dixit, Telestrations, and The Resistance!

You need FILLERS!

For Sale, Coloretto, Zombie Dice, or the new hotness Love Letter

You need DEXTERITY GAMES!

Crokinole, PitchCar, Loopin' Louie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Dale Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Twilight Struggle looks really nice, imperial is my favorite game at the moment and it looks a little bit similar. It is really expensive though and i probably had problems finding someone to play it with.

Will be hard not to exceed the 20 games mark ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kelbley
msg tools
This one seems to have a pretty unique mechanic:

Asteroyds - the retro arcade game made into a boardgame but as fun & challenging as the video game. A complex balance of random and strategy as asteroids hurtle through space & you try to avoid them (AND accomplish an objective).

It might appeal to as a fan (like myself) of Ricochet Robots. It's almost like Ricochet but with randomly moving walls, and you have option of blowing them up :-D

Star Traders - another with interesting movement mechanic. The planets are named after sci-fi writers (Bradbury, Asimov, etc.) for added fun geek appeal.

Alien Frontiers - almost like using dice instead of meeples. You are able to acquire resources only if your dice roll a certain way (three of a kind, a higher roll than the last person, etc.). You are able to acquire abilities to complement your strategy or put the kaibash on someone else's by gaining control (however temporary) of territories and by obtaining cards.

If you like card games and want to add a party game feel to it, I heartily recommend the The Red Dragon Inn series. Premise is you are at a bar and everyone is a colorful character with a distinct wise-cracking of actions. Every round you take a drink (from the drink deck) and give a drink to another player. The last player to stay conscious wins as everyone's blood alcohol ratio raises & fortitude plummets.

Lastly, you might like Torres in which you score points based on how your towers are built and where your king is placed. Deviously clever building constraints keep you guessing until the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwinPiiks wrote:
Thanks guys!

Twilight Struggle looks really nice, imperial is my favorite game at the moment and it looks a little bit similar. It is really expensive though and i probably had problems finding someone to play it with.

Will be hard not to exceed the 20 games mark ... :D

Give up that goal now! I do not think it is possible... at least thatis what I am telling my hubby. A game every couple months is me being good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
the 'building a device strong enough to survive the next round' mechanic is definitely missing in your collection

That's to say Galaxy Trucker or (my personal favorite) Goblins, Inc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwinPiiks wrote:
Thanks guys!

Will be hard not to exceed the 20 games mark ...
Jedi sweep:
- You cannot just buy the one ring.

Raise it to 30, 42, 100, 500, ..

Also your collection got a deficiancy in the roll to buy, auction or pay for landing on property category.

Got you! Bipolar thumbing decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I had to add three games to your collection, to bring it to 16, they would be a co-op game, a thematic/"Ameritrash" game, and a game that supports 7+ people.

Co-op: Pandemic for sure. It's a fan favorite, medium weight, and provides a good challenge. Adding the On the Brink expansion adds an additional one-vs-all variant.

Thematic: Either King of Tokyo, Cosmic Encounter or Eclipse. King of Tokyo is a light dice game. Cosmic Encounter is medium-weight and involves negotiation, bluffing, and variable player powers. Eclipse is heavy and is a "4X" game.

7+ Players: Lots of options here. If you want more of a Euro-style game, 7 Wonders involves drafting, variable player powers, and simultaneous action selection. If you want more of a party game, Dixit is a unique game, or Wits & Wagers is a nice twist on trivia games. Incan Gold is also a good party game for a lot of people, if you like press-your-luck and bluffing games. I would suggest The Resistance, but you could just as easily play Mafia/Werewolf with a deck of cards if you're trying to keep your collection small.

Besides that, some genres not represented by your collection (but may overlap some mechanics):
Abstract games
War games
Train games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.