If a unit is sitting say on the edge of a forest and moves into the forest (out of my line of sight) can I target the hex on the edge of the forest for defensive fire?.
DF against moving units must be made in a target hex in which the target unit expended MFs or MPs⎯not in most cases at the hex from which the unit starts its MPh.
Second the rules make no reference to stacks moving so I'm assuming that during the defensive fire mode you would be firing at one unit unless of course the hex you target has a stack of units in it?.
16.1 Moving Units
- The defending player should keep careful watch over the moving player during his MPh.
- As the moving player moves his units through a defending units‘ LOS, the defending player should note which hexes the attacker is moving through which the defender’s units could fire on.
- At the end of the MPh the defending player may return any enemy units which just moved through a hex in the LOS of one of his units to any target which they traversed during the just completed MPh.
- Stacking limits are temporarily ignored.
- A “track” counter may be immediately placed in those hexes moved through by the attacker in the defender’s LOS as a reminder to both players that the attacker actually moved through that hex.
- The defending player may now fire all his units at any target hexes within each firing unit’s LOS.
- The Fire Combat is resolved in the normal manner with the results affecting all units, in the target hex⎯whether they moved during the just completed MPh or not.
The whole stack can be moved back to fire at or the whole stack can be fired upon in the hex where it ended its movement. Underlining is my emphasis.
Sorry one last. the rules say about if you target a unit that moved in the open you get the -2 bonuse does this mean that the hex you target them in must be in the open or they simply have to have moved in the open at some point in there move?. I would think the former makes more sense.
16.5 Firing Modifier at Targets Moving in the Open
- Firegroups in the DFPh get a special -2 modifier to their Fire Combat dice roll against all units which moved in an open ground target hex during the just completed MPh.
- The modifier does not apply to other units which may be in the hex which did not move.
If the targeted unit/hex is fired upon in a hex which provides covering (terrain effect modifier) and he moved in the open to get there, then the enemy unit gets the benefit of the cover and no longer is subject to the -2 modifier of moving in the open. Later module modifications to this rule allowed a -1 DRM for movement and an additional -1 for moving in the open.