Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I need some help to decide, which board game or card game I should buy next. I love SciFi-games like "Eclipse" and "Star Trek: Fleet Captains", but I also like dungeon themed games, like Claustrophobia, the Dungeon Command games and Legend of Drizzt.

Now I'm searching for a game, that is very good playable by 2-players, with a maximum playing time of 2 hours and without too much randomness. The Downtime should be not too high!

Below, you can see the Top Ten of my current favorite games; most of them owns a friend of mine. Check him out for his games, if you wish:

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/LordNator?own=1&sub...

My current Top 10

1. Eclipse + Rise of the Ancients
2. Star Trek: Fleet Captains + Romulan Empire
3. Dungeon Command Games
4. Pandemic + On the Brink
5. Claustrophobia + Claustrophobia: de Profundis
6. Space Hulk: Death Angel + Expansions
7. Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
8. Android: Netrunner
9. Onirim
10. Escape: The Curse of the Temple

I also enjoy worker placement games like Age of Empires 3 and Lords of Waterdeep.

Now I'm considering to buy one of the following games:

- Conquest of Nerath

- Among the Stars (love the artwork!)

- Tzolk'in - The Mayan Calendar (I love the gearwheel mechanic, I saw in the reviews!)

- Core Worlds

- Descent 2nd Edition

- Earth Reborn (the length and complexity and some graphic designs of the game scares/annoys me a bit, but I saw it only in video-reviews. On the other hand, it looks very epic)

- Space Alert

- Dark Darker Darkest (I like a bit of horror, too; if it's available in the next few months. But only, if it's not too expensive)

Are these games all fun with only two players? How is the Downtime?
Any other ideas or recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: SciFi, Fantasy or Worker Placement? Or something else?
I can tell you first hand that Tzolk'in and Core Worlds work very well as 2 player games. (In fact, some people won't play Core Worlds with more than 2 because of downtime. Downtime is minimized with 2 players but can be somewhat troubling with 4.) I think Tzolk'in is a better game with 3/4, but it's still a good game with 2.

Descent 2nd edition might satisfy your craving for dungeon-crawler-ness, but if you're going to play it 2p my feeling is you're better off playing Claustrophobia or getting Claustrophobia: De Profundis to lengthen that one's lifespan. Not that there's anything wrong with Descent. Just that I think Descent is a good deal better with 4 party members fighting. In fact, when we play Descent 2p, the character player just plays 4 guys anyway.

Space Alert is not a good two player game. I would stay away from that one unless you regularly have 4/5.

Of the games I mention, only Core Worlds sometimes suffers from a downtime issue. The others don't have that problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, it's not in your list but Alien Frontiers is a (very good imho) sci-fi worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list I would choose Core Worlds and Descent 2.0
I would add Alien Frontiers, Summoner Wars: Master Setand maybe Eminent Domain to your list.
I think they are all best with three, except SW, but also work well with two players.
AF is a worker placement with screw you neighbor aspects.
SW is a tactical unit game with a neat resource balancing mechanic.
CW has great resource optimization choices.
ED is a smooth playing roll selection deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all.

@ James: yes, we already have Claustrophobia: de Profundis and we like it very much.cool Thanks for your thoughts.

@ Christian: I will consider Alien Frontiers, thanks. I watched a few reviews and it looks interesting.

@ Sean: My friend owns Eminent Domain and we like it. I'm afraid, Summoner Wars is not the right game for me, but thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Romulans for Star Trek. If you've got a regular opponent for a two-player game you like, why jump to a new game system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but I already own the Romulans and I love it!!
Sorry, I forgot to list it in the Top 10, I meant Fleet Captains + Expansion as "Fleet Captains-Family" on 2nd place. But you can find it in my games list.^^

Thank you anyway!

I updated the top 10-list, so it is clearer now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm afraid, Summoner Wars is not the right game for me, but thank you! [/q]
every gamer should try Summoner Wars at least once cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Mage Wars Arena for 2P wizardy awesomeness

On the more thinky end there's For the Crown (Second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is a game that I like a lot for two players. It costs $10 in the US. I see it for EUR 21 on amazon.de - maybe you can find it cheaper. The base game supports two players only. It's a deck building/combat game where you place space stations and ships each turn to gain the benefits/attack your opponent.

There is also a co-op expansion, and you can support more players with more copies of the base game (an easier proposition at $10 for sure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.