Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just interested to hear whether your experience is the same as mine.

I probably buy too many games (my wife would certainly agree). They are always highly desirable at the time but then I look back and see quite a few that have never\barely been played and I find myself thinking "why did I buy that".

So then I think of parting with it.

It virtually new, even unplayed so I don't want to give it away. I decide on a price that I can live with and I think would be attractive to a buyer.

And then the dreaded postage rears its ugly head.

Cardboard is heavy and bulky, and by the time I have added postage with some level of insurance the total price is not a million miles away from what you can pay for new from an online store (who I presume must enjoy some pretty heavily discounted postage deals).

As I buyer I certianly feel this way - I see a very acceptable price on BGG or eBay, but when I add postage I find myself thinking "for a few quid\dollars more I could buy it new from Amazon".

So what to do. I could drop the base price - but then I feel I'm giving the game away and would prefer to keep it.

In fact my only successful sales\purchases have been where I can trade face to face locally - but as you can imagine it is rare to get such a fortunate match.

Interested to hear what you guys do.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel, I have to admit I am certainly influenced by the cost of shipping. I buy a lot of games from CoolStuffInc. and between their competitive prices, sales, my customer discount, and the fact that I always order enough for free shipping it is rare for me to buy a games that is used unless it is out of print. After all there is nothing like removing shrink wrap and smelling that new game smell when you open the box.

When buying a game on the secondary market you are always taking a risk that the game will not be as good as it is described or that it is actually complete. I have in fact ordered a game from a fellow on eBay who described his game as 100% complete and it was missing several pieces. Sadly I never got any consideration from this guy and it was in the day when eBay policies weren't what they are today.

So yes, before I buy a game that is easily obtainable from a retailer, it needs to represent an actual bargain. Just today I saw a game up for auction on the geek that I wanted, the bid was already at $28 and the shipping was stated that it would be large box priority and I know that means another $12. I can get that game new at CSI for $40 so there is no way I am going to bid because it would actually cost more at that point to get a used game.

I appreciate that you want to get a good value out of your games, but the shipping is just a cold hard reality and once that box has been opened it just isn't worth as much as it is in shrink.

The only way I can see you getting more for your games is to either list your games on Craig's List (local pick-up) or see if you can attend a local game group or con where you can drop off pre-sold games or that provides a venue such as a flea/swap meet where you can sell directly to your potential customers.

Otherwise, you can try eBay or Amazon and rely on an uneducated audience in order to generate sales that inflated over what online stores can offer. I am frequently stunned by what some people will pay for games on these sites.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with much of what you say here, but I think you have found something when you say thay you "probably" (we all know what that really means ) buy too many games. This is really likely to lead to unplayed or virtually unplayed games, which then leads on the the pricing thing.

If I can possibly meet up face to face then I try to do so, and, when selling a game, I try to keep the cost of the game plus postage at least some way below the new price, but I agree that can be difficult. If I've played the game a few times I feel better about asking less, because what's £2 a play, or whatever it turns out to be?

Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't buy games to make a profit, and I'll occasionally give something away - I recently did this with a small expansion and also another game I was no longer playing. In both cases I paid the postage, which wasn't huge, but there was no point clinging on to something that had no value to me. Sometimes it's not all about the money.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't think anyone is looking to make a profit - don't imagine how you could unless the game is OOP.

Example. There is a game for sale, 'as new' £35. It normally sells for £50 and I quite fancy having it.

Now as a buyer I'm just interested what the total price is acceptable and a good saving.

If I could knock on this guy's door and give him £35 then I would without a second thought. But P&P could add another £10 so now we are talking £45 - at this point I'd rather buy new for an extra £5. Guaranteed and the pleasure of breaking the seal, that new cardboard smell and punching the counters myself.

So face to face I'd pay the seller £35 for his game, but by post I'd only give him £25 (plus £10 postage) - at which point I expect he would say "I'll wait for another buyer or keep it".

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only sell my used games locally. I think of it this way. Where I live there is a huge gaming community and by selling local I meet more people. Also, I have bought used and got some great deals. That makes me feel less bad about selling a game for almost nothing.

Usually I meet the person we talk a bit. Sometimes we play a game if time permits. I have also received invites to gaming groups this way. I definitely overbought in my first few years gaming. Now I try to be much more discerning in what I buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try at first to trade, only using no-ship trades (like a local maths trade), where the item you receive would cost new the same as your game cost new. Then, even though both are being traded at "below purchase price", you'll feel like you're getting your original value back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Try at first to trade, only using no-ship trades (like a local maths trade), where the item you receive would cost new the same as your game cost new. Then, even though both are being traded at "below purchase price", you'll feel like you're getting your original value back.

Must be a US thing as it doesn't mean much to me.

What's a maths trade?

Quote:
The only way I can see you getting more for your games is to either list your games on Craig's List (local pick-up)

We do have Craig's List in the UK but it isn't very established yet.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maths Trades are the greatest things known to gamers apart from games, but, be warned, they can be addictive. It can be daunting at first, but it goes something like this:

1) People add games they would like to get rid of to a list.
2) They submit a list of games other people have added to that list that they might like to receive in return.
3) Some magic happens online and, if you're lucky, somebody sends you a game you want while you send yours that you don't want to somebody who wants it.

Of course, that still means that you pay postage if you can't meet up, but them's the breaks.

You've just missed the last UK trade (last Sunday, in fact), but here's the last UK trade.

Also - this is a great guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
You've just missed the last UK trade (last Sunday, in fact), but here's the last UK trade.

Many thanks for the info - I've heard the term a few times but had assumed that it was something that happened in the US.

Do you know how often they hold UK ones and how I can find out when there is going to be one.

Certainly sounds like something I would be interested in.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem - there's one every couple of months and if you subscribe to this thread you should get a notification for the next one and beyond. The very first post links to a very helpful guide on how to do things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.