Subject: First game - What corp/runner to use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Bilanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know rulebook suggests Jinteki vs Shapers (I think), but in several different threads on Geek people argued that it is a bad choice for a first game.

What should we play then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki vs Shapers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Jay
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, DRINK. Secondly, when I'm introducing new players to the game, I generally have them play as Kate and I'll play Jinteki. They are the most basic and have the fewest gimmiky rules straight out of the box. Also, Jinteki's trap based model allows a good introduction of the bluff mechanic that is prevalent when you get better at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Not Jinteki) vs Shaper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Nah, I would go with a random runner and a random corp (but not Jinteki!). Really, getting into a Junebug in the first game is not fun at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Bilanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention my first game will be vs my gf, and as usual, I try not to scare her off any new game I show her. So I guess I shouldn't use Jinteki?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OpT1mUs wrote:
I should mention my first game will be vs my gf, and as usual, I try not to scare her off any new game I show her. So I guess I shouldn't use Jinteki?

Um. When I wanted to show the game to my gf for the very first time we played Shaper against Jinteki. I played the corp of course, but just before the game I showed her Junebug and Snare and told her that Junebug can look just like any Agenda.

But that not the point.

We didn't play from the start. I prepared some rig for her (not the full suite) and some Ice rezzed and unrezzed for me. There was Neural Katana (I wanted to show her that she DO NOT HAVE TO break subroutines).

Anyway be gentle and narrative. But allow her to think and count Ice and breakers by herself.

;-) you'll do just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I wouldn't be scared off of using Jinteki in your first match. It'll teach you both the importance of damage and protecting yourself from it, and that's a valuable lesson that should be learned early. Sure, your match might be over quickly but that just means that you can start over with your new found knowledge. I'd rather have a short game when I'm learning to play than one that just drags onward.

If you really don't want to use Jinteki then I would recommend either playing Haas-Bioroid or Weyland Consortium. I'd stay away from NBN because I've found new players get a little lost with having to learn about traces and tags when they are starting out learning the game. It's a good Corp to try once they have the basics of the game down though to try a corporation with a different playstyle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played Jinteki vs. Shaper and it war really meh.

Then tried HB vs. Criminal, and it was great. I suggest trying that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I teach new players with HB vs Shaper. I don't use Aggressive Secretary in that deck, so it's very straightforward. The Bioroids can be a little confusing when first laid down, but people get the hang pretty quickly. (Bioroids also help hammer in the notion that you don't necessarily need icebreakers to encounter ice.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki vs Shaper for many reasons

Among the many other reasons, I'm adding this one which I intend to be humorous:

You have to play Jinteki at least once, so you might as well get it out of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mb
azuredarkness wrote:
I've played Jinteki vs. Shaper and it war really meh.

Then tried HB vs. Criminal, and it was great. I suggest trying that one.

Seconded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Bilanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end , we played Jinteki vs Shaper, and after the first "tutorial" game, our second game was excellent, very tense to the end, and I barely squeezed out a win as the corp.

After that we played NBN vs Anarchs, and it felt really hard playing NBN in that one, we played 2 games, I was corp in both, lost one - won one.

Great game :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.