Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a tiny sliver just west of Gefosse-Fontenay. I was inclined to treat it as sea, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The predominant terrain feature is water so I would say it is an all-sea hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anywhere in the rules that the terrain is defined by the predominant terrain feature? I thought that I had read that somewhere (though it may have been on these forums), but I can't see it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12.6.5 Terrain Modifiers
Generally, terrain is not cumulative—use the most predominant
terrain present in the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But there are plenty of coastal hexes that would seem to violate that interpretation. Look at Sword beach for example. At least one of the beach hexes there is predominantly water, but it is clearly meant to be played as a beach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

[tongue firmly in cheek]

Is the tide in or out when you are playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only ever attack when the surf is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to the question is addressed as best it can be by the already mentioned rule. Analyzing each and every hex is painstaking and may require that the designer give the final say for all of them. I think we can intelligently look at the terrain and determine for ourselves if an entire company sized unit or higher could exist on the given amount of space available on hex B1713. If this sort of thing becomes a serious point of contention then, I think, maybe the game is being played in too serious a light. I remember the games where the terrain didn’t follow the hex sides and this sort of question came up all the time. The players usually agreed on what was and were not predominant terrain. Then, game maps came out where the terrain followed the hex sides which made the rule lawyers happy but was aesthetically displeasing. One game I have, Empire of the Sun by Mark Herman allows for some terrain anomalies on the map by shading out the parts of the hex that are unusable but allowing for the drawing of the terrain/islands to look good. One example of what Dan has said about this in the past can be found by following the link below, which starts with a terrain question:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd25a9e/4136

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I even asked the question about hexsides here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd25a9e/9788

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are other examples.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10746651#10746651

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5919824#5919824

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

B1713, B2847 sea; B1613, B4644 land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There you have it, couldn't possibly be more definitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B4142... B1454.... two opposing units can't occupy the same hex, yet, this hex has land that is not connected on both the top and bottom which might allow such a situation so the question is, should the top or the bottom be considered to not be land if any of it should be considered land, at all?

Are the following land or sea? A1246, A1440, A1439, A1552, A1949, A1537, A1633, A1631, A1632, A2915, A3512... I could go on. I think that if it is clear terrain, just a sliver, then I think it is an all-sea hex. If it has beach, like C1744, then you can have a unit on it. In the case of the string of hexes C1836 to C1842, a unit could traverse/occupy that stretch.

C1833 is obviously a landable beach. C2511 looks like it would be an all-sea hex as it is a very small sliver of land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See, I would go the other way: if it has any land on it at all, it is land. In the case of the headland hex with sea running through the middle, difficulties arise, but I would keep in mind that if the unit came in from one side, it could not leave from the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats why folks have to agree on what is and is not land, using the afforementioned rule to determine what the hex is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.