Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberta Buckberg
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought Captain Bones' Gold for my 7-year-old son who is pirate obsessed. We had the first chance to play on new year's day. When we took it out of the box I was impressed by the quality of the board and pawns. They are detailed and heavy-duty enough to stand up to lots of little kid play. The game is a VERY simplified version of Dragonstrike (which is pretty simple itself!) in which explorers try to get gold off of a pirate island before the skeletal Captain Bones can snatch the gold piece off of their shoulders and send them back to start. The first explorer to safely get 3 gold pieces off of the island wins.

Yes the game is totally random - Captain Bones can grab your coin or miss you. You can spin the spinner and go from start to finish in one turn, or keep losing your turn. As a family, however, we had a great time laughing about who would be next to get their coin snatched. The game didn't go on too long so the randomness did not get tedious or annoy us. Yes my seven-year-old did get upset that he didn't win, but not winning is something we can all use practice at and in this game it is not possible to take losing personally as it is completely random.

All in all a fun, short game. Not one that we will play over and over, true, but one that will surely come out when all the young cousins come over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.