13 Posts

Archipelago» Forums » Rules

Subject: How useful iron resources are? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pana elcafetal
msg tools
mb
After playing Archipelago several times, I don't see the advantage of having iron to its full extent. It isn't used to build anything. One or two objective cards may reward those production zones. Finally, it is the resource with the highest selling price in both markets. Despite the last two points, I find it insuficient to justify its production. Any inputs from your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crises and wonders are pretty much it. Not all resources need to be equally useful, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also sell iron to the markets, which could get you more than other resources, especially if you can produce a few at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pana elcafetal
msg tools
mb
Thank you both for your views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also at least one objective that triggers when 3 of the 6 resources are depleted, and there aren't as many iron resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pana elcafetal
msg tools
mb
yep, however if players don't feel interested on producing iron, then it won't matter that much, right? So, it was interesting to know your views on why producing it. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ohlmann
msg tools
elcafetal wrote:
yep, however if players don't feel interested on producing iron, then it won't matter that much, right? So, it was interesting to know your views on why producing it. Thanks

If you want to end the game, it can be easier to dry the iron out than any other ressource, since nthey are 10 iron, 12 stone, and 15 everything else.

Also, you may want to have a bit of iron for crisis, especially if you are the pacifist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Every Scar
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
We've actually been using a house rule in which we require iron instead of wood to build a town.
There are several reasons why this makes sense to us, and it's been working well:
- Iron isn't required to build anything.
- Selling iron in either market is not a very interesting thing... it's worth a middling amount of 5 max on both the internal and external markets.
- Towns are a more "advanced" thing than ports, ships or markets, and it makes sense to use a more "advanced" good to build one.
- This ties in with Catan, where similarly no iron ore is needed to build settlements, but it is needed to build towns. Obviously the two games are not connected in any way, but it made sense there and it makes sense here to use iron, we feel.
- We actually thought that it may be a mistake in the rules that wood is specified (a colour misprint maybe). In our copy (and I don't know if this is general), cattle is coloured red in the rules but the cubes are dark yellow. So we were open to the possibility of a colour misprint.

So, if you feel like iron really isn't doing enough, you can try this variant.
What do you guys think?

Best, Everyscar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ohlmann
msg tools
everyscar wrote:

What do you guys think?

You play like you want, but your reason don't make sense to me, and iron is useful enough for me.

In particular, Iron usually sell for quite a lot (6 in almost every case), and is often the easiest way to empty a ressource (for game ending condition) or add population/unhapiness (the only ressource able to give 2 of either.

I am not trying to say that your variation have no merit or is bad in any way ; but it's just not needed. Iron may be a little less hot than other ressources, but it's also a little more scarce and it have still quite a bit of usefulness. If you want a comparison with Catane, it's like the sheep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron is by no means useless - it's often a very useful cash generator, and due to it not being required for building it has a different dynamic to the other commodities.

In my last three player game my opponent won (trend VC was most money), not least because he pulled off a fair number of high value iron sales to both the domestic and external markets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently played the game and wondered about the same thing. But now that I have the expansion?

I guess that the designer realized the problem with iron. Iron is used a lot in the expansion cards for War & Peace (basically iron is needed as 'weapons').

I disagree that iron is useful for market exchanges. Both domestic and foreign markets the highest price for iron is the same and it takes a while for the price to get lower in domestic markets. It is much more beneficial to trade exotic fruit, which is not used for a lot of buildings.

Other than that, I like that there's a less useful resource in the game that serves a specific strategic purpose with various evolution cards. And the expansion adding to it is just great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krasimir Kolev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
To add to everything written here so far, there are a number of evolution cards in the War and peace exp that require iron. Combining this with the iron end game conditions, victory conditions, resolving crisis, selling, and the least number of this resource, well ... (:
Just to note, haven't counted the cards in the expansion that require iron, maybe because haven't yet played it (still getting used with the 'regular' game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron is by far the least useful resource in the base game (the others all have their place). The expansion fixes this, giving it a lot more uses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.