Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
After a hectic Christmas/New Year, this is the first game I have played this year. It was a gift from me to my wife, who likes card games, and this is the closest thing to a trick-taking game that we own. I figured my wife would like it, and my son would learn about trumps and keeping the lead.

There are really quite a few rules to this game, and I went through them as quickly as I could without leaving any out. I thought I had done a good job when I asked "now how could you get a Gang of 7?" and my son was able to figure out that you'd need to use the student leader. For the first couple of hands we didn't realise that all of the 5 card combos could be played in the same trick, but we weren't doing many of them anyway.

Anyway, my wife was winning everything. In the first 6 hands, she conceded points only twice. It seemed no matter what I did, she had the same combo with better cards. It was very frustrating. My son managed to win a hand as well, and he started saying that he liked this game.

Eventually, I got a hand with so many low cards that I was almost in despair. But I thought to myself, there must be some good in this. Indeed there was - two flushes. I played the two flushes to get rid of the very low cards, but lost to my son when I only had one card left. Next hand, I had similarly low cards, but they included two full houses and a couple of spare pairs. I realised that the three 8s could be used to get rid of the pair of 1s, and I was similarly able to dispose of my other low cards. I was left with the lead and only a VP in my hand.

The five card combos were now coming thick and fast, and it seemed to me that we'd got the hand of the game somewhat. My wife couldn't catch on to the five card combos, and started to fall behind. In the last hand, I left both of them with 2 points per card, and we finished the game because we'd filled up the score sheet. I was an easy winner - 28 compared to 60 odd and 70 odd.

It seems to me that we're going to play differently next time. The five card combos seem to be there if you look for them, and of course they're an extremely efficient way to dispose of cards. You just need to choose the right one so that you've got something decent left in your hand to play with. I suspect if we play like that, points will come quicker and we may experience the true spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh finished just because you had filled the scoresheet. Shame, Harley was probably going catch you with 80 points the next hand meeple

This has become our number one lunchtime game at work, we play with The Game Dealers pack because they only cost $9 with discount compared to $40 odd for the Days of Wonder set (which if they were 100% plastic cards I would buy, but they're not, so I won't). We are on to our second deck now after the first deck was retired due to overuse. There's probably not a lot of life left in the second deck either.

Excellent game, we have had games range from 2 hands to 18 hands and we always play until someone hits 100 points. Our records stand and someone winning on zero points and the highest end game score was 178 (one off the maximum possible of 179).

Just wait until the Gangs of Four (or more) start appearing, that will add some further liveliness to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I had two gangs of 4 in the game, both using 4s. So I called each of them a Gang of Fours, of course. Where do you get this Game Dealers stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind Games Melbourne has the Gamers Dealer edition (also known as the Yellow Box edition) for $10, unhalfbricking has it too, although last time I checked his price it was a ludicrous $15

There is a subtle difference I found when playing around with the DoW online version. The DoW version has two Dragons and the Phoenix where the Gamer Dealers version has two Vice Chairman and the Chairman. The two Dragons are different where as in the Game Dealer's version they are identical. This is a huge diffence when playing singles because if one Vice Chairman is played it cannot be beaten by the other, this is not true if you play the lower Dragon.

I also noticed that the DoW online version has the loser giving the winner their highest card next hand. This is only an optional rule in the Gamer Dealers version.

You should download or print REGGY's score sheet which is the files section, thus save the pad for emergency plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.