GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,087 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sensei and cell portal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a thought about an odd circumstance. Say you have a server with 3 pieces of ice, a Sensei, a Neural Katana and a Cell Portal. The runner doesn't break the Sensei, NK and CP both gain an ETR subroutine. The runner breaks NK, then doesn't break CP and is sent back to the start. The runner encounters Sensei again.

My question is, would the Sensei add another ETR subroutine to NK and CP? So this cycle NK would be -3 net damage -ETR - ETR, then next time it would have 4 subroutines, then 5 subroutines etc.

I think it would do that, it's just something that I'd never thought of before and it seems quite nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
legroove wrote:
I just had a thought about an odd circumstance. Say you have a server with 3 pieces of ice, a Sensei, a Neural Katana and a Cell Portal. The runner doesn't break the Sensei, NK and CP both gain an ETR subroutine. The runner breaks NK, then doesn't break CP and is sent back to the start. The runner encounters Sensei again.

My question is, would the Sensei add another ETR subroutine to NK and CP? So this cycle NK would be -3 net damage -ETR - ETR, then next time it would have 4 subroutines, then 5 subroutines etc.

I think it would do that, it's just something that I'd never thought of before and it seems quite nasty.

I daresay indeed that's how it would work, good luck finding someone who would run against that, Cell Portal is *still* a fancy ETR for 5 creds a run/3 if Akitaro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a bit lost rules-wise on this. Why doesn't the Sensei-induced ETR on Cell Portal Trigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the first subroutine of Cell Portal, left unbroken, sends the runner to the outermost ICE immediately, and they never encounter the End the run subroutine that was added; however, if they were to break the rerouting subroutine on Cell Portal, they would then have to deal with the EtR added by Sensei.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ETR on Cell Portal would trigger if the first subroutine was broken. But as soon as that sub fires (because it's unbroken), Cell Portal derezzes, and therefore can't fire any subs.

Remember that this is not Magic, and there is no stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I'm a bit lost rules-wise on this. Why doesn't the Sensei-induced ETR on Cell Portal Trigger?

Sensei does add an ETR sub on cell portal, but this is irrelevant.

Since subroutines trigger in order, once the first subroutine on cell portal fires, the runner is thrown back to the top of the server and cell portal de-rezzes. This means that the ETR would not trigger.

That said, if the runner breaks the first subroutine, the second sub would fire and ETR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
InfoCynic wrote:
Remember that this is not Magic, and there is no stack.

Ha! So that's what I was missing =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first cycle of this (when the Cell Portal is rezzed), the Runner should be doing the math to compare:

Cost to continually break Neural Katana's subroutines
vs
Cost to continually rez Cell Portal

Only if they will eventually win the fight (at an acceptable cost) would they bother continuing this cycle. Otherwise they will voluntarily jack out before approaching the Sensei after Cell Portal put them back at the beginning of the Server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Skillman
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
And its important to remember while NK may accumulate ETR subroutines, Cell Portal would not, as it derezzes each time, and the extra ETR subroutines would 'fall off' an inactive card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanIsSkillman wrote:
And its important to remember while NK may accumulate ETR subroutines, Cell Portal would not, as it derezzes each time, and the extra ETR subroutines would 'fall off' an inactive card.

This is incorrect.

[sub]: For the remainder of the run, each piece of ice encountered except Sensei gains "[sub]: End the run."

If there are two lingering Sensei Subroutines and a Cell Portal is rezzed in front of the Runner...

There will be 3 subroutines on the Cell Portal:
[sub] Normal Cell Portal ability
[sub] etr
[sub] etr

If the Runner for some reason chose to break the Cell Portal the second time through, it would include two ETR subs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Skillman
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
You are correct, sir, I overlooked the 'For the remainder of the run' bit of text there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.