United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some background first:

I've been considering getting an iPhone for a couple of years, but have never been able to swallow the cost of monthly data plans. I've been with Verizon my entire cellphone life and I'm used to their superior quality and reliability.

The possibility of finally getting an iPhone became possible recently when the iPhone became available on the monthly-no-contract service of Straight Talk. I have a few friends who have switched to Straight Talk and are pleased. However, they have all come from the less-than-stellar performing AT&T network. So, I'm worried that their bar was low already and Straight Talk was easy to accept for them.

Now onto the questions:

If you have Straight Talk, what are your thoughts? What carrier were you with previously?

I've read/heard that the iPhone 5's being sold by Straight Talk are Verizon CDMA phones... is this true? If so, does that mean my Straight Talk iPhone 5 will run on Verizon towers/network?

If I don't buy an iPhone from Straight Talk, can I transfer my existing Verizon phone to Straight Talk?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm continuing my own research as I wait for responses from the awesome BGG community.

Here's what I've found to support the idea that the iPhone from Straight Talk will be a CDMA phone and will be supported by a Verizon CDMA network:

Does Straight Talk Have the Same Coverage as Verizon?

iPhone 5 Straight Talk: 7 Facts to Know Before Buying

Straighttalk.com/FAQ

That last link is directly off of Straight Talk's website FAQ. Scroll to the bottom where it says the following:

Quote:
Does my iPhone use a SIM card?
No. Although your Straight Talk iPhone may contain a SIM slot, DO NOT insert a SIM card into it. Your Straight Talk iPhone works on a CDMA network; inserting a SIM card could alter your settings and stop it from working properly. Please note this does not apply if you are using an unlocked iPhone with our Bring your own phone SIM card program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.