GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,486 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Soliciting your opinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmbmb
This morning on one of the local radio rock stations that has their morning 'schtick' they were joking about Mexico.

1st guy: "Mexico has dropped from 90% Catholic to, get this, 84% Catholic!"
2nd guy: "Oh my GOD!"
1st guy: "Next thing you know, there will be abortions in the street!"
2nd guy: [Laughter] "I hope so!"

This really bummed me out, it emotionally sickened me. Yes, I'm pro-life, but living here in Southern California the racism against hispanics is rampant, vocal and highly visible, even among my friends and family. This struck me as incredibly racist and callous.

So my question is, does this affect me only because I'm pro-life? How does somebody who is pro-choice feel about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wysire wrote:
So my question is, does this affect me only because I'm pro-life? How does somebody who is pro-choice feel about this?

Yes. It doesn't seem racist or callous. It's a joke making fun of the fact that most people who identify as Catholic don't blindly follow the church's teachings anyway.

I'm not sure where the "racism" even comes in, personally I find it complimentary to Mexicans. They are awakening from the long nightmare of organized religion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see it as racist either. More of a rift on the slippery slope theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP interpreted that last line about abortions--"I hope so!"--to mean that the host was in favor of aborting Mexican babies.

Without hearing it myself, I can't really judge if that's what the host was going for, but if the quote is accurate I can see it as a possibility. That said, speaking as a Mexican-American, I can comfortably say on behalf of my people that no one should be listening to stereotypical "morning zoo" type radio shows anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I think the OP interpreted that last line about abortions--"I hope so!"--to mean that the host was in favor of aborting Mexican babies.

Without hearing it myself, I can't really judge if that's what the host was going for, but if the quote is accurate I can see it as a possibility. That said, speaking as a Mexican-American, I can comfortably say on behalf of my people that no one should be listening to stereotypical "morning zoo" type radio shows anyway.

I should also add that it fills me with glee to see the Davetron 9000 Literal Interpretation ChatBot somehow fail in just this one instance to run with the literal interpretation when it actually makes some small amount of sense to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The vignette you describe may not in and of itself be explicitly racist but it may well be part of a pattern that is. The amount of racism toward Hispanics and especially Mexicans I encounter today in media coming from the US ha become ridiculously high. Having grown up in what was essentially a Mexican immigrant community in Texas, I am well aware of the stereo-types. Of course, California as always been more racist in this regard in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
wysire wrote:
This morning on one of the local radio rock stations that has their morning 'schtick' they were joking about Mexico.

1st guy: "Mexico has dropped from 90% Catholic to, get this, 84% Catholic!"
2nd guy: "Oh my GOD!"
1st guy: "Next thing you know, there will be abortions in the street!"
2nd guy: [Laughter] "I hope so!"

This really bummed me out, it emotionally sickened me. Yes, I'm pro-life, but living here in Southern California the racism against hispanics is rampant, vocal and highly visible, even among my friends and family. This struck me as incredibly racist and callous.

Not racist but not funny either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no question in my mind that the final comment in that bit is as anti-Mexican as it gets. Racist? Not really, since Mexicans weren't actually a race, the last time I looked. I'll allow "xenophobic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
Not really, since Mexicans weren't actually a race, the last time I looked. I'll allow "xenophobic."

The meaning of racism has expanded to include ethnicity and ancestry...

...for every person too lazy or dumb to learn the word bigotry.

"The meaning has expanded" always means a better-meaning word has been neglected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:

The meaning of racism has expanded to include ethnicity and ancestry- discrimination on nationality is racism.

Only for very ignorant people--who are the likely culprits behind most bigotry, racism, xenophobia, and other maladies of prejudice and generalization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.