Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joan Altamirano
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys

My son found out about my games and went crazy, want to play them all. He only speak spanish and I want a recommendation to which game he can play with me. I must say that I a MTG player and VTEs player for a while but board games for just about a year I own very few games (mostly LCG that I don't consider "board games" but card games).

Well first thing what my son loved and didn't love to play

He loved Lord of the Rings the board game (the one with the Corruption track and you play with only the Hobbits) that game I have on Spanish and it doesn't have much text to play with he already know the rules by memory of that one, I give him the game to play with his mother (he does not live with me) and he teach their entire family how to play it.....

We tried to play Middle Earth Quest but that was too much to him (it is in Spanish also) the cards around the hero sheet he didn't understand so much and there was no dice roll.

We also tried Mage Knight no success there either (this was in English) and all the thinges were done with cards and abilities on cards there was no dice roll.

We played Descent: Journeys in the Dark (in English), he liked a lot even though it has lots of text I can translate that to him and he could played fine..... The only text extensive is the quest guide and the Overlord cards he loved the dice rolling he understood when and which dice to roll for attack defense and attributes and of course he also loved to build the dungeons with the tiles.

The other success was Runebound (In English also), dice rolling for movement was no problem to understand also the attack phases and dice rolling for attack/defense and test before combat. Fatigue and damage, events and buying in the market all that he understood very well he loved that game also.

I also own Thunderstone (card games are too much to him we haven't even tried that) Arkham Horror (too much reading in english) Twilight Struggle (in spanish but also too much reading) and well I own almost every LCG from FFG but as told above card games doesn't appeal to him, he loves the Boards and chits... and of course DICE.

I was Thinking on buying Quarriors, Elder Sing because of the Dice Rolling he loved so much.
Also was thinking on some Miniature games like Dust Tactics, Tannhauser or something like that but maybe it is too much for a kid, he loved the miniatures from Descent and Runebound (I know they are very small but he loved them anyway)?
Another thing is that he loved to play cooperative like in Lord of the Rings, we also tried a cooperative variant of Runebound and he loved it (I made some house rules for that).

I appreciate any suggestion for other games, the language is no problem I can translate him everything and it is so much fun play with him (little boys are so enthusiastic when playing games, you know)

PD: Sorry for the english, still learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it at all, Heroscape is awesome for that age. I suggest Mice and Mystics too. The aMAZEing Labyrinth is a fun little game for that age too. You might try Wiz-War too as I love it and it's simple fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a dice-rolling game, I'd recommend King of Tokyo over Quarriors. There are cards with a little bit of text, but that's true of Quarriors! as well and I think KoT is a much better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important thing when playing with children is that the children understand the game well. A game that a child does not understand is only a trivial toy. The child must understand the rules in order to deal with them. Thus, the acceptance is conveyed to rules and conditions in the game. This paves the way for the hurdles of life. You'll be surprised how much enthusiasm your child will generate in understanding what it does. Developing own independent strategies is only possible with the respective understanding of the game played.

I would look at some Games from HABA - Habermaaß GmbH or Zoch Verlag.

Ghost Blitz is a magnificent, little game of mental and physical dexterity. It supports the development of the child.

Labyrinth is also a very good suggestion.
Enchanted Forest ... a great classic. Even i played this Game with passion in my childhood over 30 years ago.
The Magic Labyrinth,
Pickomino, .. great if he likes dice
Château Roquefort,
Treasure, Ready, Go!, etc ... are some of the games your children can prepare real joy, because your child can understand these games.

Take a look at the list of the best children's games. Here you will surely find something and you two will have a lot of fun together.

regards Hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McGlone
United States
Chillicothe
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Bring Back The Big Red Machine!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 y/o daughter loves Quarriors. She keeps asking for the expansions to get more dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Adams
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jossar wrote:
If you're looking for a dice-rolling game, I'd recommend King of Tokyo over Quarriors. There are cards with a little bit of text, but that's true of Quarriors! as well and I think KoT is a much better game.

BINGO!

King of Tokyo is one of the best for really all ages, but kids love it! We had a gaming weekend with three families (5 tables of games going), and King of Tokyo was the highlight for the younger crowd.
We had ages 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14 playing it together, and there was very little difficulty in comprehension at all.

Another one that does well with the younger group is Smash Up. It is also worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Altamirano
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the posts I will show videos of the games to my son and then decide which one to get, some of them are far too expensive to Chile so I will have to choose among the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally bought Carcassonne to have my wife game with me (she loves it) but surprisingly my 7 and 10 year old both love it too. Best part is that there is no text, just tiles and meeples.
I was skeptical about Carcassonne but I enjoy it too. Plus I like it best with 2.

My kids also love Legendary (proably too much text) and Legend of Drizzt.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
My kids are 4, 6, 8 and 10

We enjoy
Lords of Waterdeep
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
Letter of Marque (my four year old will sit and play a game with us)
BattleTech CCG (our new game and I'm still looking for more cards)
Backgammon (great math thinking game without words)

I am not a fan of
Quarriors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old son's current favorite is Small World. It's a game that gets a mix of opinions from adults, but if it's something you would like, I would guess your son would too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
I suggest Mice and Mystics too.

Not done in Spanish yet though. German and French editions are coming next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jossar wrote:

King of Tokyo rules!

Another fun game is Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. It has Sea Monsters, Sharks, and Whales and a slowly sinking island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R J
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son really liked Ingenious when we played it a couple of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Waldon
United States
Cobb
California
flag msg tools
Test
I would look at Seasons as well. The mechanics are fairly easy to pick up - there is dice rolling and nice art with fun head to head card play. My eight year old enjoys it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edwin pumarejo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 has dice, mini tanks and army men. You also use cards but the art work on the cards show you what you can do with very little text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is frequently mentioned as a game that works well with that age group. I recently ordered it for that reason, but it will be 5 or 6 years before my son is actually old enough to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play DC Comics Deck-Building Game with my 5 year old 4-5 times a week. She loves it and has memorized almost every card (she can't read yet).

Both my girls (5 & 7) love Whoowasit?. Fun cooperative with deduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Valadez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son's nine and he's played Ticket to Ride, Bohnanza, and Munchkin. He's played them since at least when he was eight or even seven. he's always done well with them and enjoyed them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gubs! A superb, chaotic, take-that card game featuring cute/gross beaties. So chaotic that nobody gets upset when they go from being way out in the lead to losing the game, all in one move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.