Subject: Strategy/war game for 1-3(4) players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my situation. I love playing strategy/war oriented games (say, Axis and Allies). I usually play in the group of 3 people, (very rarely if ever my fourth friend joins the party). However, the two people I play the games most often are…. not very competent when trying to understand more then 2 pages of instructions. This usually forces me to play such a board game stars like monopoly or risk (nothing against those games…). I recently purchased Settlers of the Stone Age, and it works fine for us… but it was fun for only few games, there is really not much going on in that game.

I’m looking for something that will fulfill my desire for a pure strategy/war game (fantasy/role playing games are also good), but at the same time, be it a game with reasonably short instructions. Preferably, not a game that takes 30 minutes to set up either. I was looking at Carcassonne and Runebound (thought they did not like the pictures of the Runebound when I showed it to them…). The three of us are completely different people when it comes to board games… I love many pieces, big boards and enjoy long hours spend together, while they want everything done in under an hour. It’s hard to adjust those things.

If worst comes to worst, a game that is playable with only one player (so I can at least partially enjoy the game while playing it solo) might be a ticket. I was looking at A&A:Mini, and perhaps Memoir ’44?

Every person in the group is at least 20 years of age… if it makes any difference. Thank you for all your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Take a look at Friedrich:
http://boardgamegeek.com/game/12891

Plays 3 very well, but can accomodate 4 on the rare times you have a foursome. While the rules don't quite fit on 2 pages - they are well spaced across 6 pages with lots of white space. In other words, it isn't the typical 6 pages of small print that wargames sometimes love to use.

Actually, not that difficult to explain if you wish to read the rules and teach the others. The simple 2 page turn overview (check the files section) would be all they would need to understand while you clarify the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have exaggerated the “2 page rules” just a little bit. And Friedrich looks very interesting. Never heard/seen it before, but it looks like something I’ve been looking for. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree. Friedrich is the answer to a three (or four) player light wargame. You should play Prussia/Hanover and see how the others chase after you! Really fun game, simple to learn.
Stay away from A&A minis--really bad combat system, read "dice fest." Memoir 44 is a great game, but really only a two player (or on occasion 8 player, with Operation Overlord) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm another big fan of Friedrich, which is a great historical game.

A fun, fast sci-fi game you might take a look at is Nexus Ops. Good strategy for up to 4 players that only takes an hour or so to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
I'm another big fan of Friedrich, which is a great historical game.

A fun, fast sci-fi game you might take a look at is Nexus Ops. Good strategy for up to 4 players that only takes an hour or so to play.

I'll second that - NEXUS OPS isn't actually deep or long, but offers a superior amount of both tactical and strategic challenge without being complicated. I think it might be the best thing I've seen like it in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
most of war games are actully for few players, that what usually make them great. i have camelot legends wich is not war but you do need to think like war, deciding where you should place your heros to make complete most quests. it awesoem for 3-4 an quite short it's never goes more then wo hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I bought Nexus OPS few days ago, and though we only got to play it once, I really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed Nexus Ops! I just got it a couple days ago, too!

I might also recommend one of the Risk games, such as Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition, Godstorm, 2210, or Star Wars. I've played LotR and Godstorm, but not the other two. Depending on which "theme" you all like the best, I think one of those might work in terms of game length and complexity.

Although not really a strategy/wargame in the classic sense, Monsters Menace America might be worth looking into for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.