Subject: What's with the HUGE box? (and modding) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
[rant]
I got this game yesterday, and much to my surprise, the box is absolutely huge! I was expecting something of a normal size, like The Great Zimbabwe.

So I obviously expected some impressive, huge board that could only fit in that box. Much to my surprise, the contents of the box could have very easily fit in a box half that size.

I'm one of those people who's annoyed by boxes bigger than they have to be. This one takes the cake though: It's simply obnoxiously bigger than it has to be (and bigger than anything else, so it doesn't fit anywhere easily).
[/rant]

Has anyone performed "surgery" on the box to cut it in half? Any tips?

Once I decide I want to keep the game for sure, I'd be tempted to do something like that. It doesn't seem overly complicated, and it'll be worth it if I don't have that mammoth box around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
Has anyone performed "surgery" on the box to cut it in half? Any tips?

=> DIY Boxes for Player bits (including box insert and measurements for a smaller box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone had redesigned it in several boxes, that can be stored in bookshelf like books.

DIY Antiqiuty Boxes

edit: well not exactly, but something like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use petri dish-like containers, so extra box room is always appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noel, I have a bunch of plain white 8.5" x 11" boxes, you're welcome to use one of those instead, I think it would be big enough? They're about the size of a typical GMT Games box. Print out some nice labels for a wrap, and you're golden?

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
While the bits would certainly fit in a smaller box, I kind of like the size as it helps reinforce the gravity of the game. The primary reason for the box size is most likely the fact that it was easier to fit the unpunched cardboard sheets in a big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anitquity BEGS to use plano boxes. I've found that the box size is just perfect to set everything in when using two planos so that each pair of players can have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I boxed mine in 4 smaller boxes that someone recommended in another thread and they fit quite nicely in the existing box, so that is a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:
I kind of like the size as it helps reinforce the gravity of the game.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use Plano boxes for painted plastic minis. HATE them for bits. I like containers that you don't have to dump the bits out of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
[rant]
I got this game yesterday, and much to my surprise, the box is absolutely huge! I was expecting something of a normal size, like The Great Zimbabwe.

Had you been paying attention to splotter boxes, you'd have seen that they have more than one game in this size box.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Rustin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
llopis wrote:
[rant]

Had you been paying attention to splotter boxes, you'd have seen that they have more than one game in this size box.

B>

The only other one is Roads and Boats, no? Greed, Duck Dealer, Ur 1830BC and The Great Zimbabwe are all in 'standard' sized boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chronology matters, though. They had some earlier games in a4 sized boxes, but also earlier games in random things.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use plano boxes with rounded bottoms. They're perfect for this game. Two of them pretty much fill up all the empty space in the cardboard box, and we can keep one plano box at each end of the table when playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I only use Plano boxes for painted plastic minis. HATE them for bits. I like containers that you don't have to dump the bits out of.

They're fine for games where you don't have to dump them out though. That's what the earlier comment about one plano for each pair of players was suggesting no?

In general I prefer the modularity of individual lidded cups for bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
[rant]
I'm one of those people who's annoyed by boxes bigger than they have to be. This one takes the cake though: It's simply obnoxiously bigger than it has to be (and bigger than anything else, so it doesn't fit anywhere easily).

Splotter was thinking ahead. The box fits everything thightly, no space for anything else. just check out The upgrade of Antiquity to see that box full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.