Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Disclaimer: My friends and I play casually with house rules concerning which cards are allowed and which are limited. Certain powerful cards like Pot of Greed, Raigeki, Call of the Haunted are restricted to one copy. There is no such thing as semi-limited cards. We decided together which cards are restricted in our decks which we play casually and for fun…

Here I want to introduce you to two new casual/semi-budget decks I built recently, showing you the card lists first and then sharing some thoughts on strategy:

Penguin Bounce:

Monsters…20

3 x Hane Hane
3 x Hyper Hammerhead
3 x Penguin Soldier
3 x Nightmare Penguin
3 x Abyss Soldier
1 x Neo-Spacian Grand Mole
2 x Raiza, the Storm Monarch
1 x Magician of Faith
1 x Mask of Darkness

Spells…11

3 x Back to Square One
2 x Fissure
1 x Heavy Storm
1 x Giant Trunade
1 x Mystical Space Typhoon
1 x Pot of Greed
1 x Graceful Charity
1 x Black Hole

Traps…9

3 x Compulsory Evacuation Device
2 x Phoenix Wing Wind Blast
2 x Dust Tornado
1 x Torrential Tribute
1 x Raigeki-Break

Strategy:

Before I will give you my thoughts on the strategy behind this deck, I have to note that the deck is unplayed and untested as of yet. I see great potential but it has still to stand the test against some of my other decks.
If you are familiar with the cards I listed above, you will see that this deck focuses heavily on returning cards to their owner’s hands or to the top of their Deck. Just to put a number on it: Out of 40 cards there are 27 cards with an effect that does exactly that – either return cards to their owner’s hand or to the top of their deck.
Returning Monsters to their owner’s hands has a lot of benefits besides the obvious slowing down of your opponent, which result from the particular game mechanics in the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG. For instance it can be very frustrating for your adversary if they manage to tribute summon a powerful Monster only to see it returned to their hand, having wasted one or even two Monsters and in the end having nothing left. Also, pesky reanimation and special summonings can be efficiently punished by sending the special summoned, probably higher level Monster to the hand of their summoner.
Returning cards to the top of the opponent’s Deck is even more devastating. Not only do they lose a (powerful) Monster or other card they invested in, but you waste their next draw as well, as they will draw the card they already played again, which can be particularly frustrating for your opponent. In this deck, there are 7 cards (Monsters, Spells and Traps) that allow you to return a card to the top of your opponent’s Deck: Raiza, the Storm Monarch, Back to Square One and Phoenix Wing Wind Blast.
I called this deck “Penguin Bounce” because it prominently features two Penguin cards, of which notably Penguin Soldier has the greatest value, creating tremendous advantage for you by sending not one but TWO Monsters back to their owner’s hand when flipped face-up. You can even send one of your opponent’s Monsters to their hand and send the Penguin himself back to your hand, thus enabling you to set and activate him again and again. Abyss Soldier is another card of great power, while to me its rules text is a bit ambiguous. It says “Discard one Water Monster to send target Monster to its owner’s hand.” My interpretation is that you can discard one Water Monster from your Hand to bounce another Monster back to its owner’s hand, but I may be wrong. Maybe it means you have to destroy one of your Water Monsters on the FIELD to pay for its effect. If someone knows how it actually works, please educate me. Either way this effect is highly viable in this deck, with 9 out of 20 Monsters being of the Water attribute. The 1800 ATK of Abyss Soldier are nothing to sneeze at either. Speaking of attack power, the way this deck INTENDS to win is to stall by bouncing and bouncing and bouncing until you draw Raiza, the Storm Monarch, who has a bounce effect himself, beating down the opponent with no less than 2400 ATK while you keep the field clear of opponent Monsters through the aforementioned and numerous bounce effects this Deck features as well as through the single copies of Black Hole and Torrential Tribute. Just for the fun of it, I added one copy each of Magician of Faith and Mask of Darkness, to retrieve the Spell or Trap you need most. Suggested targets would be Pot of Greed and Black Hole for Magician and Phoenix Wing Wind Blast and Torrential Tribute for Mask. Also, the Deck features a good deal of Spell and Trap card removal in the form of Mystical Space Typhoon, Giant Trunade, Heavy Storm, Raigeki Break and Phoenix Wing Wind Blast. The latter two can be used to get rid of Monsters as well.
I would like to point out that I built this deck without any reanimation, which is usually a common feature in many of my Yu-Gi-Oh decks, despite the fact that there are quite a few cards which require you to discard cards to your Graveyard as part of their activation cost (Back to Square One, Phoenix Wing Wind Blast and Raigeki-Break). The reasons why I skipped that are firstly that I won’t face problems against “remove from play” Decks (aka Different Dimension Decks) and secondly that I simply did not find enough space to add reanimation cards. A Problem that I could be running into could be that many cards require discards, meaning card disadvantage for me. Actually, the single Pot of Greed in the Deck is the only card that creates card advantage for me. It has to be noted that this deck is, as I said initially, is totally untested AND is a Work-in-Progress. Two of the three Hyper Hammerheads should be replaced by two additional copies of the strictly superior Neo Spacian Grand Mole and a third copy of Phoenix Wing Wind Blast should be added, cutting the single Raigeki-Break. I considered adding Guardian Sphinx, but am undecided about that. Furthermore, Heavy Storm could be substituted with Harpy’s Feather Duster and Black Hole with Raigeki. Also, I am still looking for cards that have beneficial abilities that trigger when stuff is sent to their owner’s hand. Maybe the knowledgeable reader can suggest some cards to me that I am not aware of as of yet…

March of the Normals:

Monsters….18

3 x Alexandrit Dragon
3 x Gene-Warped Warwolf
3 x Gemini Elf
3 x Luster Dragon
3 x Summoned Skull
2 x Blue-Eyes White Dragon
1 x Dark Magician

Spells…16

3 x Double Summon
3 x Malevolent Nuzzler
2 x Dark Factory of Mass Production
2 x Heart of the Underdog
2 x Dark Magic Curtain
1 x Pot of Greed
1 x Graceful Charity
1 x Card Destruction
1 x Mystical Space Typhoon

Traps…6

3 x Birthright
1 x Soul Resurrection
1 x Call of the Haunted
1 x Ultimate Offering

Strategy:

In this deck I set myself the restriction of only using Normal Monsters and again, it is, as of yet, untested, as I just assembled it very recently. The good thing about Normal Monsters is that they are nowadays unbeatable in regard of sheer attack power, with the (more or less) recent releases of Gene-Warped Warwolf and Alexandrite Dragon, which both boast an impressive 2000 ATK with no tribute required and without any drawback whatsoever. Luster Dragon and Gemini Elf are not a bad deal either with an ATK of 1900. So this deck focuses on beatdown and swarming the field with powerful attackers early, powered through cards like Double Summon, Ultimate Offering or even the oddball Black Magic Curtain, the latter allowing you to special summon the single Dark Magician in the Deck at the mere cost of half of your Life Points. One key-card in the deck certainly is Heart of the Underdog, one of the few Normal Monster support cards I was able to find, which offers tremendous card advantage potential in a deck where half of the cards are normal Monsters and makes sure that you never run out of “backup soldiers” in case the opponent sweeps the board with Black Hole, Raigeki, Black Hole, Lightning Vortex or Mirrorforce (the Deck, and this is certainly its weakness, lacks Spell and Trap card removal/counters as I couldn’t find room for them except for a single copy of the notorious Mystical Space Typhoon). I considered including My Body As a Shield to counteract mass removal but decided to go another road. For once, there are a ton of reanimation cards (more on that later) and there is “Dark Factory of Mass Production” which lets you retrieve two (!) Normal Monsters from your Graveyard. Combined with the drawing power of Heart of the Underdog this should offer enough comeback potential in case you opponent destroys all (your) Monsters, which actually happens a lot as we play decks with single copies of all the mass removal cards I listed above.
So as I mentioned before, this deck has a focus on reanimation, in the form of traps like Birthright, which reanimates any Normal Monster (so any Monster in this Deck), the obligatory Call of the Haunted and to a lesser extent in the form of Soul Resurrection (the drawback of bringing the Monster into play in Defense Position can be easily circumvented by activating it at the end of your opponent’s turn and then changing it to Attack Position during your turn). The reanimation has multiple uses in this Deck. Of course you can reanimate destroyed Monsters (again – a lot of comeback potential) but you can also get back Monsters you tributed for Summoned Skull or Blue Eyes White Dragon pretty much instantly and also combos well with Card Destruction and Graceful Charity, which lets you discard your higher level Monsters to the Graveyard only to reanimate them soon after. The main weaknesses I see in this deck would be the lack of protection against and removal of pesky opponent Spells and Traps. Also, against my Different Dimension Deck, which specializes in removing stuff in the Graveyards of both players, all the reanimation would be pretty much useless all of a sudden. Closing I want to note that I included the three copies of Malevolent Nuzzler to have the cutting edge when battling opponent Blue Eyes, Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragons or whatever high ATK Monsters they may have. It also helps to get through the extra bit of damage you may need in order to secure your victory and can easily be re-used if its bearer happens to be destroyed by simply paying 500 Life Points and wasting your next draw. As I said the deck is yet unplayed/untested, but I look forward to see how it fares against my more versatile decks featuring lots of Monster spot and mass removal…

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there you have it, my two latest, untested and unplayed Yu-Gi-Oh semi-budget casual decks. I hope you enjoyed the read and my most recent deck ideas! Please feel free to comment. (Card) suggestions, ideas and constructive criticism are always more than welcome!

Next up: Two more decks of mine – “Infinite Dinosaurs” and “Red-Eyes Fusion”

Coming soon…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, i know you are playing for fun [since i dont see any extra deck] so here are some suggestions.

For your return to hand deck, you should try adding a sangan to be able to search out your monsters quicker [since majority of them has less than 1500 atk

there is a continuous spell you can consider too. Cant remember the name but its effect is 'any monster returned to hand is removed from game'

The guardian sphinx w 2400 def. - his effect is 'when this card is flip summoned, return all opponents monsters back to hand'

For your normal deck, i would suggest to add these cards in

- justi break - the mirror force for normal monsters.. and you can put in 3 if you want too

-skill drain - get rid of your opponents effect /flip monsters.

-Dimension prison. use these to get rid of high attack monsters.. better than tributing 2 monsters and relying on blue eyes white dragon as a big hitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your great suggestions Wayne! Much appreciated!! I will definitely look into those cards!

Hey in case you are interested in my other casual/fun decks, please check out my new blog at http://casualyugiohwithandi.wordpress.com/!

I got over two dozen deck articles there already so if you are bored/interested you could have a read some time. Comments would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Andi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.. I love seeing people creating their own decks and avoiding the 'metagame' I personally created my own deck in real life but stopped after finding out that i spent $50 on a deck and it was slowly obsolete within a year.

I play yugi oh on the psp by the way. Good way to play the game without spending too much cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.