Subject: terraform and build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
miklos kuti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it allowed to terraform an adjacent hex and than build on another adjacent hex that is already a home terrain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
orange wrote:
Is it allowed to terraform an adjacent hex and than build on another adjacent hex that is already a home terrain?

No.

You must do your entire action on one hex; the only exception is if you take the double-shovel and have a leftover shovel after getting one hex to your home color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miklos kuti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
orange wrote:

No.

You must do your entire action on one hex; the only exception is if you take the double-shovel and have a leftover shovel after getting one hex to your home color.

As an analogy to the use of the double shovel where if you terraform two adjacent hexes to your home terrain, you can pick the one you put a dwelling on, can you not think of this case as applying one shovel to terraform a hex to your home terrain and the remaining zero shovel was applied to the other hex that was already a home terrain and now you could build on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
orange wrote:
Morganza wrote:
orange wrote:

No.

As an analogy to the use of the double shovel where if you terraform two adjacent hexes to your home terrain, you can pick the one you put a dwelling on, can you not think of this case as applying one shovel to terraform a hex to your home terrain and the remaining zero shovel was applied to the other hex that was already a home terrain and now you could build on that?

Makes a fine analogy, but it is not the rule. No reason to go to analogy or interpretation when the wording in the rulebook is explicit and clear:

Quote:
First, you may change the type of one Terrain space. Then, if you have changed its type to your Home terrain, you may immediately build a Dwelling on that space.

The exception Aliza noted in her post is discussed in the rulebook as well and it calls this out as one of two special cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is correct to say, you may never "build" more than one dwelling in an action. If the terrain is not your home terrain, as part of the "Terraform and Build" action, you may terraform that terrain before building. You may also take the "Terraform and Build" action and NOT build (just as you may build without terraforming). But in either case, the "Terraform and Build" action is on one hex only. When taking the two spades "Power Action," you may use both spades on one terrain, or use them on two different hexes. In either case, you may only build ONCE during the 2 Spade Power Action, and it must be on one of the two hexes just terraformed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
When taking the two spades "Power Action," you may use both spades on one terrain, or use them on two different hexes. In either case, you may only build ONCE during the 2 Spade Power Action, and it must be on one of the two hexes just terraformed.

Do both hexes terraformed need to be adjacent to you at the start of the action? We had a situation last game where I wanted to use the double spade to terraform an adjacent space, build a dwelling on it, then terraform the next space along (without building on it, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes both have to be adjacent.
this has been addressed in another thread, that I can't find at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Frank Hamrick wrote:
When taking the two spades "Power Action," you may use both spades on one terrain, or use them on two different hexes. In either case, you may only build ONCE during the 2 Spade Power Action, and it must be on one of the two hexes just terraformed.

Do both hexes terraformed need to be adjacent to you at the start of the action? We had a situation last game where I wanted to use the double spade to terraform an adjacent space, build a dwelling on it, then terraform the next space along (without building on it, of course).

All terraforming happens before the building, so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.