United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first game ever. I won on Level 1 with 107 points. The rule book says a score over 80 is good, so this makes me worry I did something wrong.

What are some of the common mistakes you think first time players might make?

For example, at the end of the game you get negative 5 points for all aging cards. Does this include cards you were able to remove from your fighting cards during the game, or does it include all aging cards you acquired, regardless of if they're still in your robinson deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the aging cards still in your fighting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost my first game of Friday (at Level 1), but then I won my next two, with scores of 91 and 84. Like you, I was a little concerned that this might be too easy, so I started playing at Level 2. It took me eight games to win again! (And the score was only 42.) So you may not be doing anything wrong, Anthony, you just need to switch to Level 2 and see how you do there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget, Level IV is the "real game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, just looking at my own list of plays, where I made mention of rules errors I made...

In my favour:

Discarding Aging Cards with only 1 life point instead of 2

Destroying cards and removing them from the play area, rather than leaving them in place

Not in my own interest:

Forgetting to count +1 for each fighting card when battling the 10/52 pirate

Not to mention carelessness such as missing adding an Aging Card, or fighting for the wrong phase amount.

Even after 30-some plays, I still refer to the rule book. The game is easy to play wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Other mistakes which are easy to make if one is careless:

when entering a new color (yellow or red), brain-fart and use the older easier color by mistake.

forgetting that you must complete a card's action before doing another action. E.g. with an "exchange 2" you cannot exchange 1 card, get a new card and use it, then exchange the card you just used.

forgetting to add an aging card when reshuffling.

forget to pay a life for a new card (be careful about this when you reshuffle and get confused "wait, did I pay already?"... I recommend always pay first, then draw, shuffling if need be)

...and resist the temptation to do little cheats here & there (oh wait, of course I wouldn't have drawn an extra card since I already had enough points to win the fight, I see now, so I'll just put that 2nd card back now even though I've seen what it is...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Pacheco
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having the opposite experience. First 4 games lost. I can't get past the red phase. I have read the rules several tmes and am not finding errors in play. It's most likely just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose, it takes a few plays and a bit of thinking about what's useful and what's not. I like to think while I'm playing, which means I tend to lose my first few plays of games that require experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyrooms wrote:
I am having the opposite experience. First 4 games lost. I can't get past the red phase. I have read the rules several tmes and am not finding errors in play. It's most likely just me.

Consider it a feature, not a problem. A solo game that is solved too quickly isn't worth much, is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Pacheco
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
greyrooms wrote:

Consider it a feature, not a problem. A solo game that is solved too quickly isn't worth much, is it?

Very true. Thanks for the motivation. I'll keep at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.