Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
209 Posts
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Discussion and Feedback Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:

There are other contests going on right now and I don't want to take attention away from those by having the Solitaire Contest officially active. If voters or designers are interested in creating/playing a game for the other contests, that should be their priority. However, if designers aren't creating games for other contests but are for the solitaire contest, they can talk about those games on the Contest Thread.

This certainly applies to me. I have every intention of entering in the Solitaire Contest but I will not be able to give it much attention until I am finished with the "In a Tin" Contest.

I appreciate that designers are able to start a bit early, I think that is important. Seeing what WIP threads have been posted for the Solitaire contest has been inspiring. This has helped me to keep it in the back of my mind so when the time is right I can get to it.

See you in a couple weeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

You might very well be right, but I assume you're speaking from an American point of view, but are we sure that the same rules apply globally? And that posting the files publically here on The Geek without a copyright notice won't be considered as releasing the game to the public domain?

Since I didn't see this stated in the thread so far:

These rules apply pretty much globally. Any country that is a signatory to the Berne Convention on copyright has agreed to implement these rules as law. On top of that, any member of the World Trade Organisation has agreed to abide by these rules... which leaves a very few countries left who don't have copyright which works this way, at least in theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

You might very well be right, but I assume you're speaking from an American point of view, but are we sure that the same rules apply globally? And that posting the files publically here on The Geek without a copyright notice won't be considered as releasing the game to the public domain?

These rules apply pretty much globally. Any country that is a signatory to the Berne Convention on copyright has agreed to implement these rules as law. On top of that, any member of the World Trade Organisation has agreed to abide by these rules... which leaves a very few countries left who don't have copyright which works this way, at least in theory.

Cool, thanks.

And also a big thank you to everyone else who have helped me out by chiming in on this topic .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

It is still a good idea to read up a bit on your local law because of the minor differences that do exist.

That is one good thing about being explicit with what you allow when you publish something (using CC or other ways), in case someone lives in a place were default copyright would even make it illegal to print a file they have legally downloaded (not sure if there is such a country, or how anyone would ever get caught, but still).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
I may ping Jeremiah Lee and Emmanuel Aquin to comment on this thread since they both have released Print and Play games under Creative Commons licenses that have gone on to be published. They likely have more valuable insight than I do.
Hey guys. My experience with the CC licence has been wonderful.

I released Zombie in my Pocket as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0). Because of what it was (solo), when it came to publishing, the publisher wanted to make it into a multiplayer game. We, effectively created a new game based on the old game. Since I was the license holder for the original game, I could take parts from ZimP(solo) without issue and use them for ZimP(multi) without issue.

I haven't read the rest of the conversation, but I'd imagine this wouldn't be too difficult to get around. If you're releasing exactly the same game in published form, it might get stickier. However, there are some great advantages to allowing others to play with your system. ZimP wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is without all the other ...imP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up on the main contest thread. Cross posting here for discussion.

Quote:
Kelzky wrote:
Game Entry Requirements wrote:
The games entered in the contest should be new. To be eligible for this contest, a game must meet the following criteria.
The game cannot have been entered in a previous contest.
The game cannot have a WIP thread/game entry on BGG prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.
The game cannot be publicly offered for download on BGG or other websites prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.

Aww guess that means I won't be able to enter a Solitaire version of Cure me Quick! Express - even though the game was never publicly available it has had a WIP thread since June 16th.

Actually wouldn't this mean I would not be able to do Bake me Silly! either? As it had a thread last year? I only ask as you've already listed it as an entry but it contradicts the new rules wording.
This is a good question. I saw that Bake Me Silly was entered last year but not completed but didn't think about this rule at the time.

I've previously said that designers could talk about their designs on their blogs so long as they weren't releasing the files ahead of time. I don't see why it should be different here. Since the components for Bake Me Silly were never released last year, the game should be eligible for the contest. I may need to amend the rules for this.

There have been a ton of games I was excited about during the past two years that never got out of the idea/brainstorming stage. If designers would like to finish these entries, I'd actually love to see them get entered this year.

Does this change seem fair to everyone? The point of this rule is to to encourage new game development and prevent unfair advantage by to a game that has been getting public playtesting feedback for much longer than the other entries. I don't care how long you've had the idea for the game so long as you aren't entering a game that's been online for a year.

Proposed new rules would look more like this:
Game Entry Requirements wrote:
The games entered in the contest should be new. To be eligible for this contest, a game must meet the following criteria.
The game cannot have been entered in a previous contest.
The game cannot have a game entry on BGG prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.
The game cannot be publicly offered for download on BGG, a WIP Thread, or other websites prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available. The game may be described and discussed online so long as it is not actually available for download.
I'm not sure if I want to keep the rule about not having a Game Entry on BGG rule. For example, if the designer of Heist: The Solitaire Card Game decided to enter his game in the contest, I can't think of a reason why he shouldn't. The files have never been made available, despite the game having an entry since 2012. Is a game entry an unfair advantage? I think the main reason I created the rule is that PNP games are not supposed to have an entry on BGG prior to being complete. What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok for me. I think that it's fair that these games can participate in this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Without files and playtesting, it was just an idea - so yeah - why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always add in the "best pre-contest game" category to cover the balance between allowing pre-contest games and not giving them an advantage. We did this for both the 2 player and in-a-tin/express contests, and it seemed to be received well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  |