GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Playing Boardgame Version vs. Playing Online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends no longer wish to play the board game version. It's kind of disappointing. They would rather much stay at home and play pickup games with total strangers than get together and play.

What do you prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Introduce Friends to Agricola Board Game and then they find out they can play online.
Maybe they don't like you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Introduce Friends to Agricola Board Game and then they find out they can play online.
WOW....that's harsh........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If they just don't like the setup/takedown time the game requires and if you have laptops, you could bring your laptops together so you can all play online in the same room, preferably against each other and maybe with an extra online stranger or two.

Otherwise, you just need new friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn Brazillians, lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Topic sounds like a meme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf684 wrote:
Topic sounds like a meme.

Not intended. I really like this game, and board games in general, but I can't quite get into playing board games online.

Edit: Edited thread title.I was just curious whether people prefer this game (or all board games) in person or online. Someone here did make a good point that cleanup/setup can take quite some time--that's a definite plus on the online column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely prefer face-to-face. Playing online is second best, but I will take it if I can't get face-to-face. Having said that - even online I prefer to play with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer face-to-face, but man it would be nice if the setup was handled automatically. When I get a holodeck, I'll use it to play automatic Agricola.

Yes, that is what I would use a holodeck for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I prefer F2F, but play online orders of magnitude more often. I like both, for different reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to sound bad, but I prefer online because I'm much much better than any of my local opponents.

In the online game I am constantly challenged and win only about 36% of the time. When I play locally I think I'm close to a 95% win rate, with losses usually resulting from trying an oddball strategy.

I'd love to play more F2F, but it's not really fun for anyone when I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I much prefer face-to-face. My biggest issue with online games (BaJ at least) is knowing the score. It totally influences the way I play. For the better, perhaps. But sometimes ignorance is bliss. In a F2F game I can be losing and still think I have a chance to win; online I tend to min/max every last choice, especially in the later rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:
This is going to sound bad, but I prefer online because I'm much much better than any of my local opponents.

I'll vouch for Bryann on this one. The two guys in my main local group were both in a tournament with Bryann at a game-store here. I'm pretty sure they each came in 2nd on his two boards. My understanding is it that wasn't that close.

It's hard to get in enough FTF games to really get to where you can play at a high level. You have to play 100s of games for that, and most people can never do that at home. I play maybe once a week at home, but have 20 games going online. Just can't get that kind of experience playing locally.

Edit: To answer the question though, I like them both in their own way. Playagricola.com is tough for me because the games are a little fast. I tend to make a lot of mistakes there that I wouldn't make in person because I try to rush so as not to make the other players wait. I play much better on boîte a jeux, but of course I hate having so few of the cards available. Home games are more "fun" sometimes though because you can do a lot more interesting things drafting, and you can quickly abandon games and start over if they get out of hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely prefer live play. I gave up on playing at play-agricola because I can't be bothered with all the windows; it's not their fault, understand, but it's a set-up I just can't get comfortable with and have no desire to irritate my opponents via my own clumsiness and failure to adapt. Boiteajeux is slower paced, and I like their interface much better, but they suffer from not having all the cards available, even in the base game, never mind "FotM" and the various expansion decks.

And I'll chime in with Jeff that having a running score is really, really disconcerting; I don't like it at all. If the scores were meant to be tallied along the way, I think Uwe and Hanno would have made it so. And they didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
And I'll chime in with Jeff that having a running score is really, really disconcerting; I don't like it at all. If the scores were meant to be tallied along the way, I think Uwe and Hanno would have made it so. And they didn't.

Scores are completely open information, at every point of the game, by design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
MisterG wrote:

This is true, but it's not immediately apparent information, also by design. For me, on a psychological level, that makes all the difference. I'm not forced to keep track of everyone's score, so the relative standings have no effect on my gameplay. I prefer that. It may even be one of the defining characteristics of the game that makes it so appealing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
astroglide wrote:
MisterG wrote:

This is true, but it's not immediately apparent information, also by design. For me, on a psychological level, that makes all the difference. I'm not forced to keep track of everyone's score, so the relative standings have no effect on my gameplay. I prefer that. It may even be one of the defining characteristics of the game that makes it so appealing to me.

How do you get good at agricola without being able to look at what someone's farm is worth? Know which actions they might want to take?

Isn't it the exact same skill set that you use to . . . play . . . ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:
How do you get good at agricola without being able to look at what someone's farm is worth? Know which actions they might want to take?

Isn't it the exact same skill set that you use to . . . play . . . ?

I'd say it's like the difference between playing Power Grid with open wallets and with closed. There's no change in the amount of information available, but in the latter case you'd have to go to a fair amount of mental effort to track exactly how much money each player has, and not everyone is willing to do that. Personally I'm with MisterG: I'd rather work with a "soft" estimate of how well each player is doing, than determine exactly how likely each of my possible options are to result in me being the winner (or be informed that I'm too far behind the two leaders and thus can only possibly play kingmaker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Doran

Vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whole-heartedly agree with Geoff; live play is best, can't handle play-agricola's interface and Boite a Jeux suffers from seeing the same basic cards over ... and over ... and over...

I'm also tired of the impersonal nature of playing online against strangers. Yes, it is true, as various people have mentioned, that you can play many more games more quickly against better competition if you play online, but to me it's just not worth it anymore, especially because I despise staring at a screen, and I enjoy the tactile sensation of playing with the actual board game. Longer set-up, yes, but so what? ... it builds the anticipation.

I've actually gotten to the point where (if I have free time at odd hours when I can't set up a live game) I'd rather set up the board game and play a 4-player game myself than go online ... weird? -- hey, to each his own ... I think it's weird to sit and do crossword puzzles ... or sudoku...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The running score in online agricola never really bothered me. I never look at scores until Round 14, because it doesn't really matter that much, compared to scoring potential. In Round 14 I might calculate out potential final scores, and the constant tally makes that much easier, but I might do that in real life if I was feeling particularly competitive (I can't say for sure, because too much online play has made my real life games distinctly uncompetitive).

That's the real danger: if you want to play in real life, and your friends aren't outrageously quick studies, playing lots of online games will give you such an edge that the competition will drop out of it, and possibly ruin the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:

That's the real danger: if you want to play in real life, and your friends aren't outrageously quick studies, playing lots of online games will give you such an edge that the competition will drop out of it, and possibly ruin the experience.

Yeah, years back this basically killed Puerto Rico in my play group. A couple of us started playing it online and quickly were just so much better than the other players, that it stopped being fun. Especially for them, but also for us too.

Fortunately everyone I play Agricola with live also plays in online at least some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.