Germany
Elxleben IK
Thüringen
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

we have had a controversial situation today: 2 player game, Player A has finished his action and Player B is doing his action. He takes Action C, constructing a floor. While constructing he placed his 25th ressource on the tile and proclaimed the end of the game. He also could get 1 tile because of his permanent bonus, this tile has been the last tile (first time we ran out of tiles).

Altough the game is over because he did his action and ran out of ressources, do we still build a 2nd group of tiles? Of course no one could use them but was important because I could get 7 points with that.

As I understand the rules, the game immediately stops when there are no tiles left and a new group is built. After that the game proceeds. That means that in step 5 of constructing (earning bonus) we stopped because the were no tiles left. After rebuilding Player B still does Step 6 of his action (keep played card face-up in his area). Now the game ends.

Is that correct? Or is the condition of placing all ressources enough to end the game and there is no need for building a 2nd tile group because there is no need for the end-condition of an empty 2nd tile group.

Marcel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are correct. If one of the end game conditions is met, you continue to play by the rules until all players have completed their action (urbanization, building, exploitation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esquivel
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MarcelP wrote:
Hello,
Or is the condition of placing all ressources enough to end the game and there is no need for building a 2nd tile group because there is no need for the end-condition of an empty 2nd tile group.

Marcel

Yes, as long as one of the end game conditions are met, the game will end. If the second player (in a 2-player game) was the one that triggered it, the game would end. If it was the first player, the second player would get their turn, finishing up the round and the game would end. Even if the first player was to place his last resource and the second player played a tile over it, giving back the resources, the end game condition was already met and the game would end regardless.

To quote the rules:

The game ends when:
the supply of tiles has been exhausted for the second time, or
a player has placed all her resources (25, 20, 18, or 16, for 2, 3, 4, or 5 players) in the city.
As soon as one of those two conditions is met, finish the current round (resolve actions), and the game is over.
Note: The game ends even if the player who has placed all her resources ends up retrieving them, due to another player’s action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Squiv wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
Hello,
Or is the condition of placing all ressources enough to end the game and there is no need for building a 2nd tile group because there is no need for the end-condition of an empty 2nd tile group.

Marcel

Yes, as long as one of the end game conditions are met, the game will end. If the second player (in a 2-player game) was the one that triggered it, the game would end. If it was the first player, the second player would get their turn, finishing up the round and the game would end. Even if the first player was to place his last resource and the second player played a tile over it, giving back the resources, the end game condition was already met and the game would end regardless.

To quote the rules:

The game ends when:
the supply of tiles has been exhausted for the second time, or
a player has placed all her resources (25, 20, 18, or 16, for 2, 3, 4, or 5 players) in the city.
As soon as one of those two conditions is met, finish the current round (resolve actions), and the game is over.
Note: The game ends even if the player who has placed all her resources ends up retrieving them, due to another player’s action.

Agreed. But the question at hand here is what happens when the last resource is placed AND the tiles are exhausted for the FIRST time.

The answer that I believe to be correct is that the tile exhaustion is handled as normal (all players put back any amount of tiles they want in exchange for SP, then the game continues.) In this case, "the game continues" means that the 2nd player puts their built card into their tableau and the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, building the last resource triggers the end game condition.
Yes, you still turn in tiles for points and build a second draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esquivel
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Yes, building the last resource triggers the end game condition.
Yes, you still turn in tiles for points and build a second draw pile.

Since we didn't run into this in our games, this is an interesting scenario. I wouldn't have thought about letting people contribute tiles for points if the pool was exhausted for the first time at the same time that the end game was triggered. It's not necessarily 100% clear in the rulebook that this would be done, but it makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the rules to be perfectly clear on this:
"When the supply of tiles is exhausted for the first time, each player can add as many tiles..."
No need to think this won't happen if the other end condition is met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Puffe
Germany
Elxleben IK
Thüringen
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Georges
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcelP wrote:
Thank you for your replies!

I confirm these replies are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Puffe
Germany
Elxleben IK
Thüringen
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Xavier for your official confirmation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.