Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Monsters are blocking the tile in front of the Entrance tile where can the necromancer spawn his familiar?

In the closest space (i.e behind the Monsters)

Or is he blocked from spawning it until there is a legal adjacent space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should clarify I'm talking about Necromancer summoning the Reanimate which specifically says it must be summoned adjacent to hero, but I'm not sure if that means it can be summoned on first turn regardless of available adjacency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card specifically states, "Place your Reanimate familiar token in a space adjacent to you." I was going to say it doesn't say anything about an empty space, and familiars don't block LOS/Movement and so could be placed, however the Reanimate card says that it's to be treated like a figure, so I guess if there are no open adjacent spaces, the Necromancer cannot summon his Reanimate.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree. Put your Necromancer at the front of the line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
I would argue that it spawns in the closest available empty space. In most cases where you are placing a figure on the board, it generally says if the assigned space is not available, place it in the closest available space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the FAQ, yes, the familiar must be summoned in an adjacent empty space.

Class card, Necromancer, “Raise Dead”: The card should read, “Place
your Reanimate familiar token in an empty space adjacent to you.”

So if your Necromancer is in the back in a 4-hero game and you start on an "Entrance" tile with only 4 spaces, you won't be able to summon your Reanimate until you move out and have room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
firedale2002 wrote:
As per the FAQ, yes, the familiar must be summoned in an adjacent empty space.

Class card, Necromancer, “Raise Dead”: The card should read, “Place
your Reanimate familiar token in an empty space adjacent to you.”

So if your Necromancer is in the back in a 4-hero game and you start on an "Entrance" tile with only 4 spaces, you won't be able to summon your Reanimate until you move out and have room.

Does the official FAQ actually refer to this? I tried looking for it and couldn't find anything definitive.

EDIT: I just found the passage you're referring to. I think this clarification is just to point out that you can't spawn the Reanimated Familiar ON TOP of another figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can't spawn the Reanimate on top of another familiar figure, and you must spawn it adjacent to you, so I would say you can't spawn it if there isn't any room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Yeah, you can't spawn the Reanimate on top of another familiar, and you must spawn it adjacent to you, so I would say you can't spawn it if there isn't any room.

Why can't you? If you had, say Skye, sitting on a space next to the Necro, why can't the Reanimate be summoned on that square? Skye can move on spaces occupied by figures, so why not other familiars?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, messed up the words. Meant that you can't spawn the Reanimate on top of another figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Sorry, messed up the words. Meant that you can't spawn the Reanimate on top of another figure.

Ah, that makes more sense

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Rules Question

If a Necromancer is surrounded and has no empty space adjacent to him, can he still summon his Reanimate? Does it spawn in the closest empty available space or is he completely barred from using the ability?

Justin Kemppainen wrote:
It would be placed in the closest empty space.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
jkemppainen@fantasyflightgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.