Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know a good video rules tutorial/walk through?

I just got this and have a buddy coming over Saturday to play. I am reading through the rules now, but I was hoping to have my buddy watch a video walk through of the rules before he comes over because we are limited to about 2.5 hours to play. I was hoping to limit any rule instruction to 30 mins or less so we could spend 2-2.5 hours actually playing the game.

I looked at the videos in the video section and none of them seemed to be a tutorial. I didn't have much luck on youtube either.

I also printed out some of the guides in the files section, which I think will help, but I don't know that I am going to be able to get through the rules twice before we play, and I'm not certain I'll be confident teaching them with only one read through.

Any help is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have VASSAL files that walk you through rules and strategies. Geekmail me your e-mail address (Geekmail does not do attachments) if you want 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Judd. I geek mailed you. He doesn't use Vassal, but I have other friends that do so it could be beneficial for when I teach them...and if the tutorial is good I may just have to teach him how to use Vassal to save us time.

In the mean time if anybody is aware of of a video please let me know. Don't go searching all over, I've already done that, but it is always possible somebody is aware of one that exists that's perhaps not named in a way that makes it stand out.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't get set up on Vassal, resign yourself to the fact that you won't be able to play the entire game in one sitting. I've only played the game 4 times myself but I found just playing one hand of seven cards was a game unto itself, so don't fret about having to go through the entire game. Part of the enjoyment in playing this game is discovering how each card is played.

Each turn you are dealt seven cards. If you know the rudimentary rules, why not just play one card and do what it says. The rulebook has a wonderful index so it shouldn't be too hard to look up the specifics and make your move. Then continue the same approach, one card at a time until the first turn is over.

This approach is far more accessible to newcomers than trying to absorb all the details associated with the entire card deck in one sitting.

Every time you play a card, you will discover wonderful new options. Forget about the overall strategy. Just go for the immediate tactics and learn by doing.

After a dozen turns this way, you'll become a full-fledge general!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is that once you know the rules, even with mild AP, you can finish a game in 2-2.5 hours with no problem. Sometimes even faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Twilight Struggle a couple times, and being deeper in the rulebook, I have a much better feel for the game now. Still I may resign to a shorter game, then have him get Vassal installed so we can play a full one after the wives go night night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.