BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game suggestions for a date rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Mitchell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So the other night I went to a board game speed dating event and it was a lot of fun! I connected with one of the women there while playing Settlers of Catan and we are going to have coffee next week.

I thought that since it was something we both have in common, it might be fun to do as part of the date.

So does anyone had some ideas for a really fun boardgame for two, that have a lot of interaction and maybe some aspect that would facilitate getting to know each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Fauna? It's better with more people, but I think it will spur conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
For someone you don't know too well, maybe a co-op?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic, or some other light co-op game. I know, this is a girly thing I'm about to say, and you two may well end up LOVING to rip each other throats out in games later, but establishing a bit of a bond on the first date with a 'we're in this together' activity will pay off. Build a little togetherness - just trust me on this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon :)
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to really get to know each other, definitely play Agricola. For example, does she eagerly take a family growth even without room action? Does she take livestock that you need to feed your family when she doesn't even have a place to put them?

Just make sure to constantly renovate your home to impress her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy

Kidding of course.. Who knows maybe Ticket to Ride if you both like to travel(spark a chat about places you've been etc.)? Obviously youd most likely want something low pressure to keep things fun.. Maybe a nice two player game like Jambo or Lost Cities.. These are all games my wife loves to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Twister, but since someone already said it, I'll be that guy and say Busen Memo.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca

Plays best with two. Nice components. Light gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe she's a geek too and has a BGG account. Find out and check her ratings and/or collection. That should give you a great idea for what she likes! It's worth a try.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say something small, that can be set out and packed away quickly if needed.
That way you can carry it with you, and have it if you need it, but don't feel that you have to play it to completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaid
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Letters from Whitechapel would be a great date game, at least I think it would be. Candle lights to set the mood of Whitechapel and it'd be a test of wit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
dezza wrote:
I say something small, that can be set out and packed away quickly if needed.
That way you can carry it with you, and have it if you need it, but don't feel that you have to play it to completion.

I agree, might I suggest a small card game you two know you like the theme of? By which I mean Struggle for Catan of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion!!! My wife will actually play dominion.

Flashpoint: Good co-op game.

1+ pandemic

Power Grid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan112ryan wrote:

I thought that since it was something we both have in common, it might be fun to do as part of the date.

Is this an assumption?? Do you know for sure she actually likes playing games a lot? If so then sure, maybe play a quick light game - 15 or 20 minutes tops. Perhaps something like Timeline: Diversity. But if you are at all unsure I'd hold off. Just because she played Catan doesn't mean she is a gamer. Lots of people play Catan and have never heard of BGG. Bringing a game on a "coffee" date might make you appear too one dimensional. Use this date to find out what her interests are and whether they mesh with yours. Dragging her into a game essentially says 'this is my only interest'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan112ryan wrote:
So the other night I went to a board game speed dating event and it was a lot of fun! I connected with one of the women there while playing Settlers of Catan . . .

And how the hell do you speed date while playing Catan?? Do you take a turn and switch to a new board? Even playing Catan fast you are talking a REALLY slow "speed" date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaid
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
alkaiser wrote:
ryan112ryan wrote:

Is this an assumption?? Do you know for sure she actually likes playing games a lot? If so then sure, maybe play a quick light game - 15 or 20 minutes tops. Perhaps something like Timeline: Diversity. But if you are at all unsure I'd hold off. Just because she played Catan doesn't mean she is a gamer. Lots of people play Catan and have never heard of BGG. Bringing a game on a "coffee" date might make you appear too one dimensional. Use this date to find out what her interests are and whether they mesh with yours. Dragging her into a game essentially says 'this is my only interest'.

Damn. Quoting this guy for emphasis. He's spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
Zaid wrote:
alkaiser wrote:
ryan112ryan wrote:

Damn. Quoting this guy for emphasis. He's spot on.

Yup! He is. However, I had went and tried escape, curse of the temple twice with two absolutely non gaming ladies and it was a hit both times. The only catch is u need the sound track to play. I brought a mini speaker to
Play it and it didn't bug anybody. The games is perfect for these situations. It's exciting and fast paced plus it only takes 10 mins to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Escape: The Curse of the Temple and download the tracks to your smart phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Killian
United Kingdom
Wednesbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a simple game and one myself and my fiance really enjoy is What's My Word?.

It's in a fairly small box and all you need is the pad and pen and you're good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
You're joking! More than 20 posts in this thread, and no mention of IT yet? What's the matter with you people? Quick, someone get it over with, or I'll have to post it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Killian
United Kingdom
Wednesbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratatoskr72 wrote:
You're joking! More than 20 posts in this thread, and no mention of IT yet? What's the matter with you people? Quick, someone get it over with, or I'll have to post it!!!

Lost Cities??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerBotK wrote:
Ratatoskr72 wrote:

Lost Cities??

Uh, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, if I were her, I would think it a bit weird if you turned up with a game. You are going for coffee, have a chat, get to know her, rather than shoehorning in a game, in a public place (which personally I think is a bit out of context anyway).

If I were her, I'd also find it very strange if I came on here and saw you getting dating advice on BGG, no?

'Oh right, you brought XXX game. Yeah I saw you canvassing opinion about that one on the Internet...right, no that's not odd. Um, do you have any ideas of your own that don't involve boardgames?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.