Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ottawa Games Club had their special All-Illness edition with some sick players makinging it through rough driving and cold weather just to make an appearance.

Way to go!!

(Award for most interesting shade of Green -- a mustard/olive shade -- has to go to Martin)

We had a Mark (Kuub's Brother) ThatMarkGuy on the Bgg
and a Marc (High school teacher) Rubber Chicken on the BGG
as newbees.

Lost Cities
Kuub Vs. Me -- Kuub won (what else is new)
Martin Vs. The General (General John won)

In Armor Supremacy the General took this one as well.

Bobby T was just starting a round of Tsuro when Kuub and I headed for the hills. Maybe we can get someone who stayed to let us know how it went.

San Juan
Marc won this one.

Railroad Tycoon took up a large chunk of the night.

First off the complaint about the board is correct but you have to see it to believe it. When we started, the board had a slight bend, but as we played the thing started to warp more and more. Freaky...

We played the basic version (no cards) since we were all pretty much newbees. The General read us through the outline and pointed out key strategies in the book. (As well, we distinguished between the blue and purple locations).

The key mechanics seem to be cost to build through certain terrains, upgrading engine, and shipping goods. The city development mechanic did not play into this round of the game.

All in all, the multi ship bonus of the upgraded engine seemed large in comparison to the cost (especially upgrading from 1 to 3 type engine)

The game is very pretty to look at as are the pieces.
Anybody who complains that different plastic pieces are used to show empty cities is niggling.
We looked through the cards and looked forward to riding the rails again with the full complements of the game.

Overall a keeper and a good buy at a clear out sale.

On an aside, I know there were some table problems with the restaurant. I'll make sure I talk to someone this week so things are okay for next time. >

I look forward to seeing you all on Tuesday January 17th.

Take care,
MrZoz
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Villemaire
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry about bolting out. I knew I wasn't feeling top-shape when I left home, but it's only after I got to Broadways' that I realized how bad it really was.

devil yay for flu devil

If you liked RRT, you have to try Age of Steam (railroad tycoon is based on that game). Both are great fun, but Age of Steam is a little more competitive.

I'm really looking forward to merchants of amsterdam! Don't worry, we'll get to play it *someday* arrrh

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
The key mechanics seem to be cost to build through certain terrains, upgrading engine, and shipping goods.

Sounds reminiscent of Empire Builder / Iron Dragon to me. Of course, I'm sure the happy game owner last night would be less than pleased if we attacked his board with colourful crayons, as one does with EB/ID.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
railroad tycoon is actually very much like a slightly simplified Age of steam but a little faster and with many more cities. I think we could play it much faster a second time. THe first time was a bit slow since we did not know the rules too well.

I thought that railroad tycoon was fun. It has potential.

On the other hand, I was not too impressed with San Juan. I found it kind of dull.

It was my first time out to the Broadway game club. The people there were friendly and welcoming. I will try to get out there again in the future, though it is hard to fit it into my schedule.

Thanks all for a fun evening.
rubber chicken (one of the Marks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Horrible Dr.B
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sorry dudes for not being able to be there . I'll make sure not to miss the next one.

By the way, I had the chance to play Traders of Genoa yesterday with some friends and its an excellent game: I recommand it. I'll bring it next time for sure.

Ciao!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:

First off the complaint about the board is correct but you have to see it to believe it. When we started, the board had a slight bend, but as we played the thing started to warp more and more. Freaky...

What is more freaky is that when I took it out of the box last night to weight it down and try to straighten it, it laid perfectly flat, but started to warp again after about 20 min. Weird. I have a couple of ideas of how to hold it down, but will have to try them out to see if they work.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Horrible Dr.B wrote:
Sorry dudes for not being able to be there . I'll make sure not to miss the next one.

By the way, I had the chance to play Traders of Genoa yesterday with some friends and its an excellent game: I recommand it. I'll bring it next time for sure.

Ciao!

No S---!

I've brought this one at least 6 times but the minute you say negotiate people get all freaked out.

Bring it next week.
We've got a game of Amsterdam to do but after that I am DEFINITELY in.
the Kuub will probably want to get in on it as well.

MrZoz
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AA_Gen_Jack wrote:
MrZoz wrote:

What is more freaky is that when I took it out of the box last night to weight it down and try to straighten it, it laid perfectly flat, but started to warp again after about 20 min. Weird. I have a couple of ideas of how to hold it down, but will have to try them out to see if they work.

Cheers

You're right that is weird.
I wonder if the material is Photoluminesciently malleable?
(I will probably never get to use that word again so I stuck it in there now)

MrZoz
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
AA_Gen_Jack wrote:
MrZoz wrote:

Cheers

You're right that is weird.
I wonder if the material is Photoluminesciently malleable?
(I will probably never get to use that word again so I stuck it in there now)

MrZoz
goo

Not nice making me have to look up multi-syllable words in the dictionaryangryshake You have me curious now though. I will have to try setting it up in the dark

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
The Horrible Dr.B wrote:

Ciao!

No S---!

I've brought this one at least 6 times but the minute you say negotiate people get all freaked out.

Bring it next week.
We've got a game of Amsterdam to do but after that I am DEFINITELY in.
the Kuub will probably want to get in on it as well.

MrZoz
goo

I am up for both Traders of Genoa and Amsterdam.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.