Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow gamers, I just picked up Star Wars X-wing core set, and I'm really looking forward to playing this game, not to mention how excited I am that the next set is coming out next month (I think).

What I want to know is how many singles do I need to buy in order to have a decent set to offer the most gameplay for myself and others?

Your recommendations would much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much are you willing to spend?

Step 1: Get another core set. The extra templates and dice are a must, and it's the cheapest way to get more ships.

Step 2: 1x expansion ships. This will get you the extra cards, including some of the best pilots and equipment.

Step 3: Skys the limit. By this point you should hopefully know what squadrons you want to run and what you will need to field them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, good to know. Any order of importance, or which expansion is a must have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Forbes
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to X-Wing myself but the expansion everybody suggets is Tie Advanced. It gives you Vader as a pilot which is pretty cool. ;-)

I've gotten by with just the 2 core sets for now but after playing a couple times I'm chomping at the bit to get more.

A couple questions worth asking yourself is: Are you providing all the ships when you play? Or are you planning on meeting up with others who've bought ships? Are you interested in tournament play?

If you're providing all the ships: Pick up at least one of the other two (Y Wing and Tie Advanced) from wave 1 and play around with them a bit. The more you play, you may realize "If I just had another Tie Advanced I'd be able to do this..." (And even with the tie fighter and X wing coming in the base game you'll probably want an expansion version too for the additional pilots...)

If you're planning on meeting up with others, maybe focus on one side of the battle.

If you're interested in tournament play, there's a large number of "This is the best loadout" forum posts here to help guide you to what you need.

Though everyone's FIRST suggestion that I've seen has been "Get 2 core sets" and I agree on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onibaku06 wrote:
Hmmm, good to know. Any order of importance, or which expansion is a must have?

X-Wing gets you Wedge who is considered the best rebel pilot

Advance gets you Vader

Y-Wing Gets you Ion Cannons and their shenanigans

Tie Fighter gets you some named pilots you've probably never heard of.

A big thing to consider is which side you will be playing. Rebel builds usually rely on 2-4 X-Wings, and/or a Y-Wing (2 Tops)

Imperial players like to field swarms of 6+ Ties with an Advance or two. If cash is a factor, focus on what you want to play with. If not, get two of everything. You will have everything you need to field competitive squadrons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
Get 2 core sets seems like sound advice, and I suspect I may have done that had anybody (in UK) actually had any in stock once I decided to expand from the 1 core set.

As such I ended up with 1 of each expansions pack ships and in the end the dice pack as well.

Actually I am fairly happy with the variety this has given me in both models and cards.

Currently I have no plans for a 2nd core set and just want 1 of each wave 2 ship.

Depends what your aim is of course. I have no tournament plans at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably fine. One Core set, 1 additional X-Wing and Y-Wing is the core of many very solid Rebel builds, and while an Imperial squad would benefit from additional TIE Fighters, you can still make the points match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people seem to think this is a good collection with variety and depth (assuming you're looking to play 100pt games and want to be able to build both Rebels and Imperials:

2x Core Sets (2 X-Wings, 4 TIEs)
1x Tie Fighter Expansion
1x TIE Adv Expansion
1x X-Wing Expansion
1x Y-Wing Expansion

then, with Wave 2:

1x Falcon
1x Slave-1
1x TIE Interceptor
1x A-Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
A lot of people seem to think this is a good collection with variety and depth (assuming you're looking to play 100pt games and want to be able to build both Rebels and Imperials:

2x Core Sets (2 X-Wings, 4 TIEs)
1x Tie Fighter Expansion
1x TIE Adv Expansion
1x X-Wing Expansion
1x Y-Wing Expansion

then, with Wave 2:

1x Falcon
1x Slave-1
1x TIE Interceptor
1x A-Wing

I agree on Wave 1, but with the Wave 2 content I really think Interceptors and A-wings will work better in pairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them all

Multiple times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say at least:

4 xwings
1 ywing
6 tie basics
1 tie advanced

Make sure you get at least one expansion for xwing & tie basic.

Play with that & see what happens before wave 2.

I need 1 more tie to do a full 6 regular ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And get extra dice. Things go much easier if each player has 4 dice of each type (sometimes 5 defense). Each Core set and Dice pack has 3 of each, grr.

You didn't say how many others you were providing stuff for =^,^=

I'm gearing up to run large scenario games for 8+ players:
6 Core Sets
5 Dice Packs
1 X-Wing
3 Y-Wings
4 A-Wings
1 Falcon
1 TIE
3 TIE Advanced
4 TIE Interceptors
1 Slave
(+ assorted custom ships to build a matching Pirate faction)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:

X-Wing gets you Wedge who is considered the best rebel pilot

Advance gets you Vader

Y-Wing Gets you Ion Cannons and their shenanigans

Tie Fighter gets you some named pilots you've probably never heard of the best pilot in the game (as of Wave 1): Howlrunner. It also gets you Backstabber (tied with Mauler Mithel for the strongest Imperial attacker in wave 1) and Swarm Tactics (important upgrade in a lot of competitive squads).

A big thing to consider is which side you will be playing. Rebel builds usually rely on 2-4 X-Wings, and/or a Y-Wing (2 Tops)

Imperial players like to field swarms of 6+ Ties with or without an Advance or two. If cash is a factor, focus on what you want to play with. If not, get two of everything. You will have almost everything you need to field competitive squadrons (although you might want a 7th or 8th TIE Fighter if you walk down the path to the Dark Side).

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my fiancè and I finished a couple of basic games, and were liking it so far. From those games, and all the replies here, I'm probably going to get at least 1 more of everything, especially a core set. Templates and dice are definitely short changed here. I'm hoping to get the real game going ttomorrow, so I can get a better understanding of how things should go.

For a squadron build game, what is the "norm" in regards to point totals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100 points is the official tournament total.

If you play 55 points, it makes for a shorter game without giving the Imperial side too many ships that would overwhelm the rebels.

You can play with more than 100 points for casual play but bear in mind that the game will progress a little slowly initially. You'll find your sweet spot eventually.

When I introduced a new player last time, I just played 1 x-wing vs 2 TIE fighters, at 23/24 points, no upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
Just for confirmation...

I would get at least 1 of each expansion. This will get you all the ships/pilots/cards available so you can at last try everything out and see what you like etc.

I pretty much got 2 cores and 2 of each expansion. I probably would have only gotten 1 y-wing, and 1 Tie Advanced but the option for 1 more is nice.

I generally provide all game pieces, though a friend does have a core and a couple of expansions but when we play we use my set cause it is more complete if needed would pull from his (say to do an 8 tie swarm).

After a few games you should know what additional expansions are needed.

At this time as well, I would almost wait for the new ships before doubling up on anything. I have a feeling that A-wings/interceptors are going to replace the need for other ships, especially the interceptor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a good variety is nice. I am always wanting to try different things. So far, there aren't any tournaments in my area, so it's all casual game. I like playing Rebels and Imperials. I like playing a wide variety. You will want to keep messing with things to try them out. Having more options is the best. So....you will find you want to buy as many as you can!

Reminds me of Pokemon...robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I picked up a copy of this game as a gift for a couple: he likes miniature games; she likes Star Wars. It seemed appropriate. Anyway, I got them 1 core set, 1 TIE Advanced ("You must confront Vader."), and 1 X-wing expansion. Why X-wing? Well, a "squad" of 1 X-wing and 1 Y-wing is pretty weak in my opinion. In comparison, 2 X-wings should be able to hold their own against Vader + 2 (generic) TIE Fighters. Besides, it feels a lot like Luke's trench run in Episode IV.

I felt that those sets were enough to get a feel for the game. If they like it, they'll probably get at least another core set, a Y-wing, and probably one or two more TIE Fighters to even things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played around thirty matches so far. Most have been regular dogfights but we have also played a lot of homemade missions. Which is actually quite fun to do.

I started out with 1 core set, and a handful of expansions bringing my total up to 4 TIE-Fighters, 2 TIE-Advanceds, 3 X-Wings and 2-Y-Wings and it is not nearly enough. For competitive gaming in the 100 points range I really need more Fighters and more X'es.

I'm also dreaming of fielding a very large battle between a lot of ships/squadrons on either side, so I've ordered more core sets and more expansions.

My dream battle at this point will be 5 pairs of X-Wings, each flanked by an Y-Wing (10xX and 5xY), with a squad of 5 A-Wings flanked by a couple of Millenium Falcons (5xA and 2xMillenium).

They should be facing off something like 3 squads consisting of 3 TIE-Fighters and 1 TIE-Advanced, a squad of 4 TIE-Interceptors, and a squad of 2 Firesprays flanked by 2 TIE-Advanceds, a TIE-Interceptor and a TIE-Fighter (10xFighter, 5xAdvanced, 5xInterceptor and 2xFirespray).

So I've preordered all of this and I'm eagerly anticipating the delivery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Godballe wrote:

My dream battle at this point will be 5 pairs of X-Wings, each flanked by an Y-Wing (10xX and 5xY), with a squad of 5 A-Wings flanked by a couple of Millenium Falcons (5xA and 2xMillenium).

They should be facing off something like 3 squads consisting of 3 TIE-Fighters and 1 TIE-Advanced, a squad of 4 TIE-Interceptors, and a squad of 2 Firesprays flanked by 2 TIE-Advanceds, a TIE-Interceptor and a TIE-Fighter (10xFighter, 5xAdvanced, 5xInterceptor and 2xFirespray).

This doesn't seem very balanced to me.
10x X-wing =~ 10x Fighter + 5x Interceptor (OK)
5x Y-wing =~ 5x TIE Advanced (OK)
2x YT-1300 =~ 2x Firespray (OK)
5x A-wing =~ ... ???

Needs more Imperial forces (10x more TIE/ln Fighters?).

(If you don't believe me, consider the minimum point costs for basic versions of each of those ships (except maybe the Falcon, since its basic version is completely different than named pilots) and you'll see that your ideal Rebel list is WAY more expensive than your Imperial side)

*edit* I think you assumed that an X-wing is equivalent to a TIE Fighter (2x X + 1x Y paired off against 2x TIE Fighter + 1x TIE Advanced; 22 Rebel ships vs 22 Imperial ships), but even the most expensive TIE Fighters are less expensive (and less powerful) than the cheapest X-wings. Sure, a TIE Advanced is more expensive than a (basic) Y-wing, but a Y-wing should auto-include an Ion Cannon Turret, so it really costs 5 pts more than it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Godballe wrote:
I've played around thirty matches so far. Most have been regular dogfights but we have also played a lot of homemade missions. Which is actually quite fun to do.

I started out with 1 core set, and a handful of expansions bringing my total up to 4 TIE-Fighters, 2 TIE-Advanceds, 3 X-Wings and 2-Y-Wings and it is not nearly enough. For competitive gaming in the 100 points range I really need more Fighters and more X'es.

I'm also dreaming of fielding a very large battle between a lot of ships/squadrons on either side, so I've ordered more core sets and more expansions.

That's soon going into Risk-length games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a core set, 1 x each of the wave one expansions and i have two A-winga and 2 Tie Interceptors on pre-order. Gonna wait on the big ships. How many ships you get all depends...how often you play and who you play with. I got a few friends, who i got into playing and they have all the same amount or more than i do. We usually play together and we share ships...no need to go crazy buying ships them. I also play with my wife and what i have is sufficent.

Priority: (in my opinion)
X-wing for Wedge
Tie Advanced for Vader
Tie Interceptor for Soontir Fel & boost
A-wing for Tycho Celchu & boost
Slave 1 for Boba Fett
Falcon...because its the Falcon!!
Tie Fighter for Howlrunner
Y-Wing for Ion Cannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Dennis Godballe wrote:

This doesn't seem very balanced to me.
10x X-wing =~ 10x Fighter + 5x Interceptor (OK)
5x Y-wing =~ 5x TIE Advanced (OK)
2x YT-1300 =~ 2x Firespray (OK)
5x A-wing =~ ... ???

Needs more Imperial forces (10x more TIE/ln Fighters?).

(If you don't believe me, consider the minimum point costs for basic versions of each of those ships (except maybe the Falcon, since its basic version is completely different than named pilots) and you'll see that your ideal Rebel list is WAY more expensive than your Imperial side)

*edit* I think you assumed that an X-wing is equivalent to a TIE Fighter (2x X + 1x Y paired off against 2x TIE Fighter + 1x TIE Advanced; 22 Rebel ships vs 22 Imperial ships), but even the most expensive TIE Fighters are less expensive (and less powerful) than the cheapest X-wings. Sure, a TIE Advanced is more expensive than a (basic) Y-wing, but a Y-wing should auto-include an Ion Cannon Turret, so it really costs 5 pts more than it seems.

No, I'm not assuming anything and I'm well aware that it is not going to be balanced at the get go. But there are more factors to weigh in.

First off, It's not a game size that will be played a lot. Right now, most of our games are in the 75-100 points range and this will be a lot larger. This amount will instead be used in missions, like the Imperial attack on Hoth (complete with mulitiple at-ats)and will factor in running reinforcements for the Imperial side as they lose their ships. It will also be used in an epic battle of the defense of the Death Star, where the Empire will have both a lot of reinforcements, but also a lot of turrets and shield generators.

It will never be used as a 22 ships vs. 22 ships dogfight game alone (without special missions) as that would be very tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu0n wrote:
Dennis Godballe wrote:

That's soon going into Risk-length games

I love playing Risk. In fact I am the local Risk champion and I've played games that stretched over a whole weekend and I'm fine with that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so tonight we played the regular game, and it was awesome. A second core set is almost mandatory for me. More dice, ships, templates and debris are a must have.

Now, another question for you all. Having just the core set, is there a recommended squadron build point total. I'm thinking something around 30-40, but it seems like the Imperial player will have an even greater advantage. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.