Drew Bigmeadow
msg tools
We're looking for a game that has the same levels of difficulty, interaction, luck (and fun). We're considering:

Ra
Samurai
Saint Petersburg
San Juan

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Go for Homesteaders. Or, if you'd like with some more interaction I highly recommend Cyclades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bigmeadow
msg tools
godunow wrote:
Go for Homesteaders. Or, if you'd like with some more interaction I highly recommend Cyclades.

Thank you, but I already own Cyclades and I thought that Homesteaders would be substantially more difficult (Weight = 3) than these other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
agrandfield wrote:
We're looking for a game that has the same levels of difficulty, interaction, luck (and fun). We're considering:

Ra
Samurai
Saint Petersburg
San Juan

RA and Samurai would both be good choices

i would also recommend Libertalia ( plays 6 ) and Mission Red Planet ( plays 5 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Airlines Europe, so I can't speak on behalf of that. But Stone Age and 7 Wonders are so different that asking for a specific game relating to both just won't happen.

For Stone Age type games (worker placement):
- Lords of Waterdeep (I saw you already have Agricola)

For 7 wonders type games:
- Citadels, maybe? There's not too much that is similar to 7 wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agrandfield wrote:

Ra
Samurai
Saint Petersburg
San Juan

The only one on the list I'd knock off would be San Juan. I think that might be a little too simple given the comparisons. If you have to pick one, I'd probably go with Ra. You have a variety of mechanics in the games you listed and Ra is unlike any of them. My second choice would be Samurai for the same reason. I personally like Ra better, but that's just me.

Additionally, if you own an ipad, Ra and San Juan both have relatively inexpensive iOS versions and there's a free version of St. Petersberg out there for the PC. Each of the games has serviceable but mostly unimpressive AI, but it could give you a taste of three of your choices before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Lancaster: it's a worker placement game, somewhat in the same vein of Stone Age. Plays up to 5 players, has a lot of interaction (you can displace other players' pawns, you compete in the voting for new laws), plays in about an hour and has fantastic production value. The rules are quite simple, I'd say a bit more complex of Stone Age but not that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, those four wouldn't have sprung to mind given the three games you mentioned.

7 Wonders, Airlines, and Stone Age are all very different in mechanic and theme. But they are similar in terms of complexity I'd think.

The first thing I thought of when seeing those three were 'You should have a co-op in that lineup, something like Flash Point: Fire Rescue'. That would complement your favorite three games without duplicating any of them, and it's about the same complexity.

The other game that came to mind was Alien Frontiers. Very fun and strategic dice rolling/worker placement. In the same family as Stone Age but a very different game. We like this one a lot.

Good luck finding your next game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bigmeadow
msg tools
Thanks for all your help. I bought 1812: The Invasion of Canada. Go figure. It has my home town of Dundas in it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Race for the Galaxy, it takes a bit of getting used to but the replay value is quite good. I would also suggest Carson City or Lords of Waterdeep as they are both favorites in my group.

Samurai is a great game but you may find yourself wanting more.

San Juan is also very good as it is easy to get into but may not be heavy enough for the long haul.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VILLAGE.....sorry for yelling but I recently got this game it is is has been a smash hit with everyone I have played it with. As worker placement goes I honestly feel this is one of the best ever. I own Stone Age, Carson City and Lords and Waterdeep. I like those other 3 in varying degrees, but given the choice I would choose to play Village over those other games any day. There is something about Village, it is a beautifully balanced and designed game. The Theme in terms of how it relates to the game and works with the game is awesome. The killing off of your villagers and the strategy as to how and when to kill off different villagers adds a dimension of strategy to this game that those other 3 just can't match. It is easy to teach, so far we have found all of our games to be very close, and with may ways of winning you are always in it.

Based on the fact that you say you like the games you mentioned I think you guys will love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.