Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
1890 is one of the few Japanese 18xx that have been difficult to access, and it is of interest to me because of a trivial, peripheral reason: I lived in one of the double-O hexes and worked in a yellow one.

The fun thing about designing about trains in Japan is the dearth wealth of information available (Railway fans are plenty, and serious about their hobby) and the high quality of the graphics of the pioneer companies at the time. Here's a collection of the early logos of a number of companies appearing in 1890:

Those will be vectorized, and turned into nice little tokens and company cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
dearth

This sounds interesting! The only reason I will print-and-play a game is because it's unavailable otherwise (buying them is easier if possible.)

One comment: You mean "wealth" and not "dearth", I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here is the list of all tokens:

A few I have my doubts about, but most should be accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
And now the Minor companies. The game tries to simulate the actual events of railway development in that region, so they all have a specific power concerning one of the big players. The translation is mine, and still has rough edges. Help will be appreciated.

[edit: the edges were very rough; I missed a lot of what is going on there.
here are the corrected Minors.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Private companies and "Latter" private companies (they can be bought at 2nd SR)

Note the ¥0 PAR of Kobe, I'm not sure how that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Someone *really* wanted to make a historical simulation:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
And now the Minor companies. The game tries to simulate the actual events of railway development in that region, so they all have a specific power concerning one of the big players. The translation is mine, and still has rough edges. Help will be appreciated.

Interesting. I take it they're not all supposed to be connected to the Kinki?

Also, for the Kobe, do you believe the intent is for it to start as the private and trade up to a minor, vice-versa, or to be able to swap back and forth at will?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, for the Hankyu and Keihan, it seems to make the most sense that they'd get the token bonus each time that they operate, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ecs05norway wrote:
carthaginian wrote:

Interesting. I take it they're not all supposed to be connected to the Kinki?

Also, for the Kobe, do you believe the intent is for it to start as the private and trade up to a minor, vice-versa, or to be able to swap back and forth at will?

Please check the corrected minors (see why I asked to comment here -- might be better to also avoid quoting pics).

Most them are indeed supposed to merge at one time with Kinki, which seems like what actually happened.

Regarding Kobe, I think the idea is to be able to fall back on the private before the minor falls under the obligation to buy a train... I think. Or to avoid getting over the share holding limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ecs05norway wrote:
Additionally, for the Hankyu and Keihan, it seems to make the most sense that they'd get the token bonus each time that they operate, yes?

yes, that is what I meant, I will correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
And now first draft of the map:

the documents I have are very difficult to decipher so the red hexes' text isn't yet all there.

edit: updated map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Map looks very cool.

Some further clarification questions on the minors.

The Kanan states that "The President" receives half the Kanan's treasury on merger; is this referring to the Kanan's president or the Kinki's?

Finally; what happens with these mergers if there is no Kinki stock available to trade the minors in for? It appears to be the designer's intention that one or more of them merging in is how the Kinki is intended to form, but not all at once, which means the stock is going to be open for purchase by others (especially those who would damage the value of the minors).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ecs05norway wrote:
Map looks very cool.

Some further clarification questions on the minors.

The Kanan states that "The President" receives half the Kanan's treasury on merger; is this referring to the Kanan's president or the Kinki's?

The Kanan's president

Quote:
Finally; what happens with these mergers if there is no Kinki stock available to trade the minors in for? It appears to be the designer's intention that one or more of them merging in is how the Kinki is intended to form, but not all at once, which means the stock is going to be open for purchase by others (especially those who would damage the value of the minors).

Sorry, that should be mentioned on Kinki's Charter: only 40% of the stock is available. the remaining 6 shares are kept aside for the mergers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for the clarifications. Making good progress on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
tiles now. I'm having a hell of a time deciphering the text on 640*480px photos. I think I got most of it, but it would be great if someone could check. 特定な都市に使われてるタイルのアップグレードが読みづらかったです。ゲームをお持ちの方がこれを見ていれば、間違ったところ教えていただけると幸いです。

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
actually the Green Kyoto Tile does not have a 80 cost associated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've found two session reports here :
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Namiki/2715/1890/1890_0...
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Namiki/2715/1890/1890_0...

...they're quite interesting; I'll try to translate them little by little , but if I find answers to the questions arising here I'll translate the relevant part(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the rules publicly accessible, Karim?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Eric Brosius wrote:

There's summary here : http://18xx.at-ninja.jp/summary/1890.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

There's summary here : http://18xx.at-ninja.jp/summary/1890.pdf
i'm getting a 403 Forbidden at that URL. Any chance you can provide an alternate path (here or via PM)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Go to the parent page and follow the link down. More drilling will reveal an easily (and seemingly accurately) Babelfished explanation of the rules, which appears to be missing only the company powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
You might consider contacting Steve Thomas (possibly from the 18xx Yahoo Group) and asking for some advice.

Steve has the translated copy we played at Chattanooga many years ago and should be able to answer any rules questions. It was very popular when we had it and I almost regret returning it to him without bootlegging a copy.

I am not sure if you have run down copywrite issues but he may have some advice on that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious since we haven't heard in a week, how's this project going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ecs05norway wrote:
Just curious since we haven't heard in a week, how's this project going? :)

going well; I printed a set for myself and need to play it to see if I got everything right. Will report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.