PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943» Forums » Rules

Subject: MV withdrawal during surface combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
In the surface combat example in the rulebook there is a sentence saying:

Because the battle does not take place in a friendly shoreline hex, the Allied MVs cannot withdraw, and neither player attempts Withdrawal.

As I couldn't find anything related to withdrawal -- or rather being able to withdraw MVs only to friendly shore hexes -- may I ask whether it is a general rule that is buried deep in the rulebook? The withdraw procedure in the surface combat sequence says nothing about the friendly or non-friendly shore hexes.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean. Perhaps the relevant rule (or withdrawal die-roll modifier) is in the charts and tables? I don't have them handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hogan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Łukasz,

Wow, well spotted! I had never noticed this and still cannot find the reference in the rules. But the Player Aid Card does have the following entry in the Withdrawal Table:

"(Slow or Crippled ships in Friendly shoreline hexes only)"

I searched the rulebook high and low for any other reference to this based on the keywords "slow", "cripple" and "friendly shoreline" but cannot find one. Bizarre.

As the rulebook is undergoing revision, let's make sure it gets captured and clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Since all MVs in PQ-17 are Slow, they can only Withdraw in Friendly Shoreline hexes per the Withdrawal Table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Chris Janiec wrote:
Since all MVs in PQ-17 are Slow, they can only Withdraw in Friendly Shoreline hexes per the Withdrawal Table.

Wow, so glad it hasn't been explained in a fine print on the gamebox!

:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.