Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Serial gamer
badge
Stedje van lol en plezeer
mbmbmbmbmb
We were wondering if it is allowed to pass on hiring employees at your first opportunity to hire them and step in in the second round.

Example.
Beginning of the game.
Player A: Passes on hiring on employees.
Player B: Acquires 1 employee.
Player A: also acquires 1 employee.
Player B: passes and the schedule business phase starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think each player gets one opportunity to hire, in player order. I don't think it cycles around like in the schedule business phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EuropaExpress wrote:
We were wondering if it is allowed to pass on hiring employees at your first opportunity to hire them and step in in the second round.

Example.
Beginning of the game.
Player A: Passes on hiring on employees.
Player B: Acquires 1 employee.
Player A: also acquires 1 employee.
Player B: passes and the schedule business phase starts.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't, but plenty of reasons why you shouldn't (i.e. the cost goes up). Because of that I'd figure that if you pass on hiring at any point, then you're excusing yourself for the rest of the phase.

But I'm curious to know what advantage you'd gain from waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Griep
United States
North Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnage994 wrote:
I think each player gets one opportunity to hire, in player order. I don't think it cycles around like in the schedule business phase.

Opportunity to hire does cycle until all players opt not to hire an employee.
In the rulebook David Short wrote:
Once all players have had the opportunity to hire, the most popular player may hire again and so forth. This continues until all players have finished hiring employees.

So, as long as any player still wants to hire additional employees, hiring continues.

bhz1 wrote:
EuropaExpress wrote:

I don't see any reason why you couldn't, but plenty of reasons why you shouldn't (i.e. the cost goes up). Because of that I'd figure that if you pass on hiring at any point, then you're excusing yourself for the rest of the phase.

You're effectively excusing yourself (since there is no advantage to be gained), but the rules give all the players the opportunity to hire each time around, not just those who chose to hire in the last pass.

So, if you make the wrong decision the first pass, then decide, "No, I really do want to hire someone." Great! You can hire an employee at the now-higher price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like poker. If you fold in the first round of bidding, then you're out for the rest of that hand.

If you raised in the first round of bidding, then you can raise again in the second round, and keep raising.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
It's like poker. If you fold in the first round of bidding, then you're out for the rest of that hand.

If you raised in the first round of bidding, then you can raise again in the second round, and keep raising.

Cameron

While that's true in Poker, it's not true in the Hiring phase in Ground Floor! However, there's never a good reason to pass then hire the next time around, so it might as well be illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- doesitplay -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
However, there's never a good reason to pass then hire the next time around, so it might as well be illegal.

One situation where this can be usefull:
You don't want to hire so you pass, the other player decides to hire and you want to keep an even pace thus you decide to hire as well. Does this makes sense ? (in my head it does )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatum wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
However, there's never a good reason to pass then hire the next time around, so it might as well be illegal.

One situation where this can be usefull:
You don't want to hire so you pass, the other player decides to hire and you want to keep an even pace thus you decide to hire as well. Does this makes sense ? (in my head it does )

I see what you mean, but I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense

I suppose I could see someone doing that, and in some very narrow circumstance it might be better than not doing that. Fortunately, for that guy in that circumstance, it's allowed

But I highly doubt that will come up very often.

Edit: I guess in a 2 player game that won't necessarily even cost more, so in 2p maybe it could come up more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- doesitplay -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't think this would happen a lot, but it is a situation where I can imagine it being useful. And indeed, this is more likely in a 2 player game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Thijssen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Serial gamer
badge
Stedje van lol en plezeer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was indeed referring to a 2player game where I decided to pass on hiring a new employee first. That way I could respond to the other player.
If he went for a new employee I could adapt my tactics for that round based on his decision.
The price went up by 1/1 (money/info) and I decided that to be a small price at that moment. The outcome was he hired and I didn't.
With the money/info I saved I went on to do other nice things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.