Subject: BSW Game Client Olympia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, when I play on BSW, whenever I play stage 3 of Olympia, it never allows me to choose which purple card I want to copy. Anyone know why this is? Does it just pick the card with the maximum amount of points available? I'd rather be able to choose myself...especially with that science guild out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the computer figure out which purple gives the most points is a lot easier than figuring it out yourself. Why go through the effort of developing UI for choosing what to copy when everyone will always pick whatever gives the most points anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My joy is not in winning the game but in figuring out the best strategy and the way to score the most points. It just sort of takes the fun out of the game for me. It just feels more fun the closer the game is to the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in the paper game, you pick the guild to copy at the end of the game with perfect information. That's not strategy, that's "Do you know how to count."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know what guilds a neighbour has built, you can safely do stuff knowing e.g. there's a science symbol there if you need it. If not, then maybe another guild would be worth more - and why wouldn't you have taken that guild anyway at the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker has a rule called "cards speak", which essentially means that when all the betting is over, anyone who shows their cards has their hand scored as the correct hand no matter what. This is done because all the game decisions have been made already. If you really want to, you can get to a showdown, then throw your cards in without showing them, but since it's free to show them and try to win the pot this is generally a bad idea. Somehow, the "forfeit a pot I've already won" button never caught on in online poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.