United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some posts regarding ad blocking were deleted on the site yesterday and the cries of censorship arose!

However, I have decided that deleting these messages is more trouble than it is worth. So now I am asking you: please do not discuss ad blocking software. You will not be censored if you do, but I will be disappointed.

And please do not use ad blocking software. If you want to block ads, we sell our own via the supporter system:

www.boardgamegeek.com/support.php

The ad blocking we sell is a service to our users, and we offer it out of respect and consideration for for our users. You can demonstrate the same respect and consideration by cooperating in this matter.

Anyway - let's get back to playing some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Anyway - let's get back to playing some games.

Hear, hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I never thought I'd say this, but since I've had the ability to disable ads, I actually kind of miss them.

I'm experimenting with re-introducing the adverts.

Only experimenting, mind you ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
We like ads. In fact, we come to BGG in part to find ads related to games and targeted at people with an interest in games. We just don't like them in our face (where we ignore them), but would use them quite a bit if they were accessible on their own page.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93082

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Yesterday, I had a moment when I considered the ad-blocking option. Then I remembered that there were a handful of games I would never have bought, owned, and played, had I not seen an ad for it here at the Geek. So I opted not to block the ads.

Thanks, Aldie, for offering us the choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Zhang
United States
West Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, Aldie..
Some of us who have spent some coins on supporting BGG are merely getting Ad Blocking as a side bonus. (I didn't pay for the ad blocking, I paid because you guys deserve it.)

However, I must agree with some of the others who have stated that Google ads in the middle of the page totally disrupt the content, so I've actively used the ad blocking for now to see how it feels by comparison. (Note that I don't mind the Google ads on the right pane so much.)

Given these statements, I have a question: Which ads will you make decent revenue off of? Or, in other words, if those of us who have sent support left some ads on, which ones are going to help support BGG best?

Cheers to the new look. It's really growing on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've opted to keep the banner ads and I may turn the text ads back on.

I rather like the banner ads I sometimes find myself learning about products I'm actually interested in from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Xa-4 wrote:
Aldie wrote:

The ad blocking we sell is a service to our users. In all likelihood, I lose money every time someone pays for it. But I offer it out of respect and consideration for for our users.

Do you really plan to earn more, with advertisement revenue than $25 per year and per user who did not purchase ad blocking ? That seems a lot.

I'm not complaining (In fact I did purchase ad-blocking and only used it to get rid of Google ads) and I'm happy with the system as it is. I'm just amazed by the numbers.

This was kind of an off the cuff remark said without calculating the cost in my head - it's not true.

Yeah - if the site was to make $25/user, then that would be quite a lot of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question, at the botom of the page, underneath the 4 pictures there is 1 row with:
Ads by Google - Axis and Allies - Harry Potter Game - Boardgame - Avalon Hill Games

If you click on any of the links you go to the google page with all ads about that subject.

I have ads disabled, should I still see this? (I don't really care since it's at the bottom of the page, but I'm just curious, it's a bit different from other google ads, since with those if you click on them you go to the page of the compagnie advertising)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Normal text ads are not an issue for me at all. They are small, use good font sizes, and are not in the way. I'd even consider store ads on game pages a feature worth investing more time on: Wouldn't stores pay to have up to date stock and prices available on BGG? Imagine being able to see the availability of all the games in your wish list, with prices on each store. It'd not be much different than the Amazon ads on IMDB.

I currenlty have banner ads disabled because they seem to appear in an inconvenient location. I'd put them under the menu bar.

Google ads, on the other hand, eat a lot of real space, have font sizes that don't make them pleasing to the eye, end overall are much less relevant than text or banner ads. Removing them from view makes BGG look less cluttered, and more usable, especially on low resolutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Suzan wrote:
Just a question, at the botom of the page, underneath the 4 pictures there is 1 row with:
Ads by Google - Axis and Allies - Harry Potter Game - Boardgame - Avalon Hill Games

I asked the same question in another thread - Aldie is looking into having those removed w/ Ad-blocking also:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/751688#751688

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add blocking only costs 10$ - you where planning on getting the suporter badge either way....yes?

Anyway 25$ are a small price to pay for this site..... what would you do without it?

Go Aldie, go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
And Irony wins the day as the context-sensitive Google ads at the bottom of this thread now all offer ad-blocking options!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
Add blocking only costs 10$ - you where planning on getting the suporter bade either way....yes?

Now I'm confused, I thought support for the site was $15 minimum for a year and ad blocking was $25. Are you saying if you pay the $25 you get ad blocking and a support badge? That's not the way I understood it and I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
$15.00 gets you a badge
$25.00 gets you ad block (in addition to a badge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
alfons wrote:
Add blocking only costs 10$ - you where planning on getting the suporter bade either way....yes?

Now I'm confused, I thought support for the site was $15 minimum for a year and ad blocking was $25. Are you saying if you pay the $25 you get ad blocking and a support badge? That's not the way I understood it and I'm hoping I'm wrong.

That's how it worked for me. One time $25 got me a badge and ad blocking.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
And Irony wins the day as the context-sensitive Google ads at the bottom of this thread now all offer ad-blocking options!

laughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did go ahead and get Ad blocking. Primarily to support BGG not to block the ads. I have found that getting rid of the Google Ads is a good thing, but like others, I want the rest of the ads.

I was disapointed about hearing the censorship problem. I am glad you decided that it was not worth it. I believe most will respect your request.

Long Live BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for Scott / Aldie for being so forthright and open about the ad blocker / censorship question. In the end, he could have simply exercized his right of ownership and deleted what he wanted for any reason he wanted. Instead, he heard the vocal pleas of a few (IMO) and responded. Good for him. Great for BGG fans!

That said, I've got to point out that I purchased several games--and gotten hours of fun--via an interesting advertisment on BGG. The Google ad in the middle of the page is slightly annoying...but I'll easily learn to tune it out. After all, we all do that on a bajillion other sites we visit on the web each day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
I did go ahead and get Ad blocking. Primarily to support BGG not to block the ads. I have found that getting rid of the Google Ads is a good thing, but like others, I want the rest of the ads.

Yeah, same thing here. I have not disabled the rest of the ads, because I've profited from them in the past, but I had to purchase Ad Blocking just so I could get rid of the Google ads; they're very annoying because they ruin the layout as they appear both on the left and right sidebars (and the bottom too, although they don't bother anyone there) in every single page... plus, the home page, also has them in the middle of the page! Now with Ad Blocking, the right sidebar just goes away and I have more space for gaming goodnees.

Don't want to be too negative, as I love the geek and I especially admire ALL that its creators and founders have achieved, but... man, all those Google Ads are too much! I don't get to see them now, of course, but I feel sorry for all the visitors/users that do. There should be considerably less of them (the ads, I mean).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the ad blocking feature give you the ability to move the ads instead of blocking them? I wouldn't mind the ads, as I have gotten things before based on them, but I would much prefer them if I could move them to the bottom of the screen.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie - thank you for your candor and explantion.

I apologize for stoking the fires on this one in the other thread, but I honestly did fear the worst as I've seen other things I've enjoyed crumble within the same situation. Sorry for not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

FWIW, I paid for the ad blocking but only disabled those Google ads. I've actually found some interesting games and/or good deals on ones I've wanted via the text ads and banners and didn't want to lose those. Getting rid of those gaudy and usually off-topic Google ads was well worth the extra $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG ads are the most well-targeted ads I receive on any site. In addition, many of the vendors have worthwhile information and forums on their sites as well, in addition to contests, so it's a net gain for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great site Aldie. I hope this site a massive success forever.

Aldie you deserve a Noble peace prize or something. I can't imagine how upset I would have been about these complaints.

While in the process of trying to make a living, you offer a service for a fee ,and some folks have the audacity to complain about the cost? Last I checked BGG is FREE. I think anyone with a brain understands that if they don't like the ad blocker option they don't have to pay for it or use it.

Worse yet, they then take to the forums to complain and offer an alternative? The situation is akin to going to someone's house for dinner and complaining that the dinner they are serving isn't very good and it would have been better and cheaper to order take out. Totally classless.

Then to top it all off they cry "censorship" when you take offense to comments they post on YOUR website? Total crap, again it's like saying I can come to your house and scribble anything I want on your basement walls and you have to take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.