Robert Seibold
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So here it is. I do it all the time and I am not sure why. Example: I have owned RuneBound for quite some time now and I have read the instructions no less than 5 times since I purchased the game but I have yet to actually play the game. I am not sure why I do this. I have done the same thing with Thunderstone Advance and many others. If I had to guess, I think I do it for 3 reasons. First, I hate needing to reference the rule book during the game because it takes away from the experience so I want to totally understand the game before I actually play it. I know this is stupid but it is what it is. Second, I think I build up the games potential fun so much that I am afraid that once I actually play the game it may not be as fun as I thought it was going to be therefore I put off playing it all together. Again, this is dumb. Finally, I think for some wierd reason reading "about" games is actually more fun than actually playing them sometimes. So there it is. It makes no sense but I feel a little bit cleaner somehow now that I have said it out loud...now on to finding and downloading the rules for Arkham Horror...I can't wait...I hope it is a page turner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too love reading rules. Have many wargames I'm not ever likely to play, (I'm looking at you Empires in Arms angry ), but enjoy the heck out of a good rulebook.

There are limits however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can assure you the rule book to AH is, indeed, a page turner. I probably read them through two or three times before ever playing the game... (To be fair, someone else owned the game and I was prepping.)

Regarding your main point, I like to read the rules AT LEAST as much as I like to play games. Maybe not more so, but still... My other favorite thing to do is play a "solo" game using the rules, where I play three or four different players, either until I understand the rules, or until I get bored...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Finally, I think for some wierd reason reading "about" games is actually more fun than actually playing them sometimes.

This is actually very logical reasoning for certain things...case in point: thinking about what it would be like to ride your bike over ice is way better than what happens if you actually try to do it.

Seriously though, do you have a regular game group or game buddies that you really enjoy getting together with?

For me, over 50% of gaming experience is due to the people vs. the whatevers of the game we are playing. If your prime enjoyment comes from hanging our with a fun bunch of people, the experience will always be good even if the game ends up being crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You might be a wargamer if...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Taco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
You are not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny. I don't enjoy reading rules for fun at all. I generally read them before I play and often don't get them all done. I play to learn. I think it's my ASL roots.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done with Warmachine. the mini rulebook is in our downstairs bathroom along with some RPG books. haha. I've read the Star Trek Coda system RPG book a dozen times now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love to read rules, especially the modern cool flashy heavily-illustrated ones. I almost do enjoy it as much or more than playing the game itself. But I rarely if ever go back and read rules again, unless it's been a while since we played and I need a refresher...

I also like to review rules drafts for correctness/completeness, plus writing my own rules. For *really* bad sets of rules, I've even been known to try to re-write them for my own amusement.

I think it's my software engineering background -- writing game rules is really not that different from writing software requirements and design documents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hate reading rule books. I start off okay but at around 10 pages I find myself losing attention.

It actually stops me playing games because I feel I have a duty to know how it works before I bring it to the table.

Most of my problems are with 40 page wargame rules. I have a particular problem with GMT rules but that might be skewed because I also have a massive attraction to GMT games.

Two examples - Combat Commander and Paths of Glory. I tried reading Combat Commander rules a few times until I was invited to play by another gamer. I found the games much much easier than the rules made it sounds.

Paths of Glory sounded really really difficult. REading the rules just left me puzzled. Then I played the game and found it reasonably easy - much easier than the rules would suggest.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
I don't enjoy reading rules for fun at all. I generally read them before I play and often don't get them all done.

Pretty much the same here. As much as I enjoy learning new games... For me reading rules is more a necessity than it is fun and it always takes some time until I can finally bring myself to read them entirely.

But even though I don't really enjoy it, I always take the time to prepare myself well enough that I can explain a game in my own words when I bring it to my group for the first time. I can't think of a more horrible way to learn a game than to have someone read aloud the entire rulebook word by word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that reading rule books is definately not my favorite things. I don't particularly mind it, but I'd much rather be playing the game. In fact, my preferred way to learn is to have the game taught to me by an experienced player, then to review the rule book after.

Of course we all learn differently - but if I'm going to read I'd rather it be a bit of engaging literature. Even with color, rules are not my preferred genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you enjoy reading rule books more than actually playing games... I say you should start buying games on my list and sending them to me. I'll be sure to send you PDFs of all the rule books. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love reading rules books.

I also enjoy setting up a game and trying it out before we play our first official game.

I'm the primary rules guy in our house,so it is better for me to understand a game before we play rather than bore everyone at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that I do this myself. +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Jarmusch

Oakland
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that i echo all of your thoughts/feelings on this matter. I think one reason for this is that I enjoy the "idea" of the game just as much as playing the game itself. Thinking about the process of developing the game, how it works(or doesn't work) thematically, what mechanics have been borrowed/altered from other games, and deciding if this game is just a retheme of others' designs or actually fits into a new niche is all very intriguing to me. However, I think that my biggest hope is, like you, I really enjoy a game so much more when I or someone else at the table understands the rules enough to know intuitively the answer to questions, minimizing our need of rifling through the rulebook. Kudos on your cathartic confession!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read rule books during the "dreaming" phase, as in there's a game I want but I don't have the $$$ for it right now so I'm dreaming about getting it. I'll download the rules and read, imagining myself playing. Once I get the game, I stop reading once we have the rules down.

I'd rather play than read, but if I can't play, I'll read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find reading game manuals about as fun as sandpapering my genitals. I actually start falling asleep after 5 pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
Drittz wrote:
I find reading game manuals about as fun as sandpapering my genitals. I actually start falling asleep after 5 pages.

5 pages of sandpaper?

You are a man among men!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddavidc wrote:
Drittz wrote:

5 pages of sandpaper?

You are a man among men!

Lol I read my post again. I should learn to word things better whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule books?

Let's see I've taken rule books in my carry-on for air travel. I've taken them to read while on my breaks at work. I just took 2 of them to my daughter's gymnastics practice last night.

Put me in the category of those who, unfortunately, read rule books far more often than they get games to the table.

Like the OP, though, I'm okay with that because I think nothing turns off a new player more than the "tutor" having to stop and reference the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.