Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3 player game last night introducing two other of my friends to Talisman. I thought it would be best if I just used the base adventure deck and 5 point trophies just to make the game go a little faster.

I let them pick characters from all the expansions that I own. They chose the Rogue and the Cat Burglar(City expansion). I decided that I would chose randomly, my pull was the Doomsayer(Blood Moon). I had seen him before but there seemed to always be something that was "better".

Man was I wrong. He has three pretty nice abilities.

-Whenever anyone draws an enemy, the doomsayer may replenish 1 fate.
-Whenever anyone draws an event, I may draw a spell(starting craft of 4)
-When the Doomsayer pulls a card that is neither an event or enemy he may choose to draw another card(OPT)

Needless to say this guy was a fate machine. It is really nice to not have to worry about trying to pay to regain fate, when the likelihood of an enemy being pulled is higher with such a smaller adventure deck, so re-roll often.

Events too are pretty common, as I had two spells within a couple rounds.

The last ability was clutch also, as on my first turn I pulled the Runesword(no good character may have it, the Doomsayer is neutral, but the mystic did turn him evil eventually) and every time you take a life you GAIN a life. I then decided to pull another card using his third ability listed above. I pulled the Orb of Knowledge(essentially the Prophetess' ability) which allows me to discard and draw and keep the next card.

I chose that if i pulled an enemy and discarded it with the orb that it was unfair to take the fate and likewise if I discarded an event.

Anyway the game ended with a super strength rogue on the crown of command murdering the cat burglar who rolled at least 10 times on the crown before the rogue finally got there. She took a total of one life while she was casting, bad rolls.

The Rogue quickly dispatched her while I was arriving at the Valley of Fire. I took the craft route because my friend the gnome was with me. The Rogue was tough but only had three life and I had 10 because of that runesword, remember it gains life. I also had acquired the staff that allows you to gain a spell after I cast one. That thing really helped me as I took the Rogues armor. Then had two Random spells in a row that made him lose 1 strength. I eventually killed him having only 2 lives left. It was a very rewarding game for all involved, especially me and the Doomsayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group usually pulls a random character so though I've played other characters multiple times (sorceress, dread knight, leprechaun), I've not had the chance to run the Doomsayer.

He DOES seem really strong... starting as str3 cft4 is good by itself. Almost always having fate and his ability to draw spells and add adventure cards seems like a recipe for success.

I'll have a chance (via random pull of all 52 chars) to try him out on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
I played a 3 player game last night introducing two other of my friends to Talisman. I thought it would be best if I just used the base adventure deck and 5 point trophies just to make the game go a little faster.

What was the play time using the 5 point trophies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barnetto wrote:
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

What was the play time using the 5 point trophies?

With the 3 of us, with a dinner break, and teaching the noobs to play, a little over 2 1/2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for that info - thinking of trying to break this out to play with my boys (7 and 5) this weekend but I need to keep the playtime reasonable. Was going to go with the 5 point trophy plus just needing to reach the Crown of Command, but even with that I'm thinking it might be too long.

I think I'll also allow us to start off with extra gold and maybe an extra stat uplift or two.

Any other suggestions for speeding the game up for the younger players gratefully accepted...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a stat upgrade works too. The problem I find the most with this game and speed is that everyone wants to keep pulling cards from the adventure deck instead of trying to go for the CoC as soon as possible. Of course its the anticipation of what you might encounter which keeps people wanting to pull adventure cards.

With the kids, you might want to pull and read all the cards to them and then direct who goes next.

Another issue pertaining to speed, even with the "adults" I play with, is they never read the card they pulled out loud, so everyone is waiting to see what they have revealed. I try to encourage them to state what it is, like object, etc. That way if its my turn next and I know you picked up an object and I am on the other end of the board I can just start to roll for movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our big game last weekend the Doomsayer was drawn, yet not by me.

I'm compiling a session report to let you all know how he did. The quick report here is... he didn't win but was very close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.