Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I have the following questions :

1) Action 10 is done every turn, right? Is there ever a reason a person wouldn't select a cube/tile from the open sea?

2) You can start a coral reef anywhere on the board, right? If so, you could start one next to another person's reef and attack him that turn if you have 3+ tiles (you need 2 tiles before you can attack so I assume you need at least 3), right?

3) Do you need a shrimp on your coral reef when attacking or can you attack from a neutral coral reef? an enemy coral reef?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:

1) Action 10 is done every turn, right? Is there ever a reason a person wouldn't select a cube/tile from the open sea?

2) You can start a coral reef anywhere on the board, right? If so, you could start one next to another person's reef and attack him that turn if you have 3+ tiles (you need 2 tiles before you can attack so I assume you need at least 3), right?

3) Do you need a shrimp on your coral reef when attacking or can you attack from a neutral coral reef? an enemy coral reef?

1) Yes, Action 10 is taken every turn. It is the indication to the next player that your turn is over, and it is the point at which the open sea is restocked. It is always in your best interest to obtain resources.

2) Yes, you may start a coral anywhere on any rock. As you've described, this is one tactic for attacking an opponent's large coral.

3) No, you do not need a shrimp on a coral to have it attack. Shrimp serve to protect coral spaces and sate the appetite of your parrotfish. And consider this: it need not even be your coral that's doing the attacking. It is perfectly valid to add polyps to other players' corals in order to conduct attacks. It's not done often, but it's pretty nasty if done at the opportune moment.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
jonpfl wrote:

Just as with the other actions, it is not compulsory. But I cannot think of a reason why someone would forego this action. Polyp tiles and larva cubes are hard to come by as it is. Passing up on action 10 will just put more tiles on other squares, making them more attractive to other players.

Quote:

Correct, except you cannot start on a 'deep sea' square. And the coral strengths need to be right for the attack; if they are not that will cost you a fourth tile.

Quote:

No shrimp required to attack other reefs. You do, however, need a shrimp of your own on a coral if you want your parrotfish to eat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Correct, except you cannot start on a 'deep sea' square. And the coral strengths need to be right for the attack; if they are not that will cost you a fourth tile.

Why would it cost a fourth tile? I thought you could attack with a coral of at least 2 tiles so it would have to be at least 3, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonpfl wrote:

It is done every turn. I know of no reason to not draft at the end of your turn.

Quote:

Correct on all counts.

Quote:

No you don't have to have a shrimp on it. You can also grow other player's corals over each other. A common pattern, for instance, is to grow one coral over its neighbour, thus putting tiles in front of your shield, and then grow the second coral back over the first, thus putting more tiles in front of your shield, followed by putting one or more shrimp on the cut off bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
jonpfl wrote:

3) No, you do not need a shrimp on a coral to have it attack. Shrimp serve to protect coral spaces and sate the appetite of your parrotfish. And consider this: it need not even be your coral that's doing the attacking. It is perfectly valid to add polyps to other players' corals in order to conduct attacks. It's not done often, but it's pretty nasty if done at the opportune moment.

meeple

Can you give me an example of an opportune moment?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonpfl wrote:
Why would it cost a fourth tile? I thought you could attack with a coral of at least 2 tiles so it would have to be at least 3, right?

The fourth tile would be needed to buy an algae to flip the dominance. Of course that fourth tile must also come from before your shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonpfl wrote:

A semi-common pattern is to for a player to grow two large corals up in parallel, each with a shrimp at the front/exposed edge. The idea is that the two corals protect each other from mutual attack, and the shrimp protect their leading edges. It is a very effective approach until your opponents have the tiles and cubes to:

1) Grow one coral across the other, cutting off a big chunk

2) Grow the second (now much smaller) coral back across the first, cutting off another big chunk.

3) Put a shrimp on one or both cut off chunks.

This pattern of course creates another pattern:

1) Grow a big coral with a shrimp on its exposed edge.

2) Grow a small coral on the other exposed edge of the first big coral.

3) Lock the dominance so that the big coral is always dominant over the second.

4) Iteratively grow the small coral forward, and the big coral over the back of the small coral, in this way:

a) Collecting many tiles of the smal coral before your shield.

b) Safely building up a massive coral.

The challenge in this second pattern is controlling when the game ends so that it is to your advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
jonpfl wrote:

A semi-common pattern is to for a player to grow two large corals up in parallel, each with a shrimp at the front/exposed edge. The idea is that the two corals protect each other from mutual attack, and the shrimp protect their leading edges. It is a very effective approach until your opponents have the tiles and cubes to:

1) Grow one coral across the other, cutting off a big chunk

2) Grow the second (now much smaller) coral back across the first, cutting off another big chunk.

3) Put a shrimp on one or both cut off chunks.

This pattern of course creates another pattern:

1) Grow a big coral with a shrimp on its exposed edge.

2) Grow a small coral on the other exposed edge of the first big coral.

3) Lock the dominance so that the big coral is always dominant over the second.

4) Iteratively grow the small coral forward, and the big coral over the back of the small coral, in this way:

a) Collecting many tiles of the smal coral before your shield.

b) Safely building up a massive coral.

The challenge in this second pattern is controlling when the game ends so that it is to your advantage.

I love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

Correct, except you cannot start on a 'deep sea' square.

What constitutes a "deep sea square"? Every square on the "rock" boards is a "rock" square, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
No, per board there are one or two spots where there is no rock at all. Those places are too deep for the corals to grow at. You can quite clearly see them on the following picture: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/98350.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.