Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Would it make sense [to anyone else but me] to implement a privacy option on our profiles?

I would like the ability to have the following be visible/invisible by choice:

-Collection of games
-Games played

I can think of a few reasons why I might not want this data available.

The perfect system would allow me to grant access to that data on a per-user basis (e.g. to Geekbuddies).

Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth. Just putting out a feeler here ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
I can think of a few reasons why I might not want this data available.

I'm curious. What reasons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Reason #1:
You don't want people peeping at your games played in order to ask why you didn't make it to a paticular gaming event but played games that day anyway. Reason? Maybe I'm two-timing them with another gaming group, or maybe I'm meeting with other friends, but that's my business.

Yeah, I know. I should just tell them it's none of their business and to piss off, but I'd rather not have to explain at all.

There have been a couple of instances of folks accessing my collection data where they have passed some kind of judgment on me. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Reason #1:

The problem is not the privacy. The problem is you and those people. Honesty is the best policy. You admit to two-timing... Rather than have something to be held in question for, why not tell them that you are playing games with someone else and leave it at that?

Is there a Reason #2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Reason #1:
You don't want people peeping at your games played in order to ask why you didn't make it to a paticular gaming event but played games that day anyway. Reason? Maybe I'm two-timing them with another gaming group, or maybe I'm meeting with other friends, but that's my business.

Yeah, I know. I should just tell them it's none of their business and to piss off, but I'd rather not have to explain at all.

There have been a couple of instances of folks accessing my collection data where they have passed some kind of judgment on me. angry

That is kind of rude of those people. If you can't make it/ don't want to come regardless of the reason it is your choice and they have no right to quible otherwise.

I'm sorry that sort of thing has happened to you, but I would miss not being able to see peoples collection and games played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
The problem is not the privacy. The problem is you and those people. Honesty is the best policy. You admit to two-timing... Rather than have something to be held in question for, why not tell them that you are playing games with someone else and leave it at that?

Thanks for the additional judgment.

I call it 'two-timing' merely because that's how they choose to view it, not because of admitted guilt on my part, nor because I ever choose to lie.

The sad fact is that some people take it as a personal affront when you choose to game with others and I'd rather just not have to deal with my data revealing that than to have to burn bridges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Thanks for the additional judgment.

You are welcome. Sorry if that came off as a little coarse, but with that one example I don't see the problem being BGG or the provided functionality that is, by design, public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

I for one like the public additude that BGG has brought. This has always been an open medium, and I wouldn't like the idea of a closed system. If you want that you can always host it yourself offsite in any format you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must also add that I am a huge fan of Jim Woodring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can sympathise... my wife gets awful suspicious about all the dozens of times I've logged this game:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8550

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travistdale wrote:
I can sympathise... my wife gets awful suspicious about all the dozens of times I've logged this game:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8550

Actually it looks more like nobody is willing to admit that they have played that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I reiterate:
EvilTimmy wrote:
Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth. Just putting out a feeler here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
There have been a couple of instances of folks accessing my collection data where they have passed some kind of judgment on me.

Shrug. That says something about them, not you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Just think of the information the government could extract:

http://www.applefritter.com/bannedbooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.