Victory Point Games
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=233

THE UGANDA-TANZANIA WAR, 1978-1979

The modern wars in Africa provide a rich arena of different and unique gaming situations beyond WWII in North Africa (where most wargames have concentrated their examination of wars in Africa). Some of these wars were short affairs of a few months, while others raged for twenty years or more. Each of these modern African wars shaped the political and military future of the continent and they are still finding their way into today’s headlines.

The African Wars series provides a means for understanding these wars that shaped modern Africa and current world opinion.

The Last King of Scotland, the first in the African Wars series by designer Dennis Bishop, simulates the Uganda-Tanzania War of 1978 - 1979 that ousted Uganda's President for Life, Idi Amin Dada. With a seeming fascination for all things Scottish, Idi Amin referred to himself as the “uncrownedking of Scotland”. When Amin fled Uganda, in a sense he truly became "The Last King of Scotland."

Click here for all the details and to order The Last King of Scotland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the rules be posted on the website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it will be. I know they're inputting the last proofreader corrections now.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the future titles in the African Wars series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really cool. Damn you VPG, another game I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bishop
msg tools
Future Titles

C'est la Congo 1964-65: Congo Civil War

War To No End: Eritrea-Ethiopia War 1998 - 2000

Ogaden War: Ethiopia-Somalia 1977 - 78

Heart of Darkness: Second Congo War 1998 - 2000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome list! I havent received vol.1 yet and already I cant wait for the sequels :)

How about Angola 1975-76? Could be a 3 player game, and would include a very varied range of units and nationalities (cubans, south africans, zairans, as well as angolans)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which book/article/website would you recommend to someone who wants more background knowledge about this conflict, but dont want to be totally swamped with information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bishop
msg tools
Angola has been covered in three published games. However, it may find its way on to the list in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bishop
msg tools
War in Uganda: The Legacy of Idi Amin by Tony Avirgan and Martha Honey (Jan 1983)
Formats Price New Used
Hardcover $744.26 $75.99
Paperback $82.25

This provides an overview from the Tanzanian/Western Press position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anterak 17
France
flag msg tools
C'est la Congo 1964-65: Congo Civil War

Be careful, in french, the correct words are C'est le Congo

Congratulations about your work. I like the little wars theaters.

Why not create a game about the operation Epervier and the Libya-Chad war, with the french intervention in 1986 ? It could be very intensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bishop
msg tools
I played back and forth with the title, and decided "la", however, I will change it to "le". What is the French translation for "The Dirty War"?

I will add your two suggestions to my list. Currently I am identifying war with conventional forces. I think that my sources on the APL will convince people that the Congo Crisis was a conventional war, and not the war it has been protrayed.

Thanks,

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anterak 17
France
flag msg tools
"The Dirty War" in french : "La sale guerre"

It's strange to begin the Congo crisis in 64. Before, you can have the war between Lumumba and the Katanga secession (in 60), with the Gendarmerie katangaise (many belgian officers and european mercenaries), the UN intervention...many exotic things...arrrh

When can be ready your next game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bishop
msg tools
Thanks for the translation. I get confused about the use of "le" and "la".

Like "Last King". ""Le C'est" is just one conflict I intende to ultimately portray using the same map. The 1960 conflict and later mercenary rebellion should both be different games using the same system and map of the Congo. In "Last King" I intend to eventually cover the Ugandan Civil War.

Currently I am involved in an entirely different project with a different company, but I have all the research completed and have found a couple of people willing to help me with the creation of a play test map for "C'est." I am thinking late 2013 or 2014 for its submission to VPG. It will add some interesting features in the main rules that appear as variants in "Last King," and add a few more. The variants will include different options that the Leopoldville government either wished, or could have happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Isikoff
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few notes:

1) I picked up The Last King of Scotland via retail, through EndGame in Oakland, CA. It wasn't a special order (although follow-ups might be ).

2) Looking forward to future releases in the series. I noticed the VPG does a few Expansion Sets for various lines. I wonder if there might be room for such a Set, with some additional Gold Edition counters, a map or two (fold outs?) and some scenarios. Clearly, I'm a toolkit kind of guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.