Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
schm0
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half in jest, half because there's no better night to do it, I was planning on playing Pandemic with my girlfriend by candlelight this evening. (Bubonic plague cubes glimmer ever so nicely in the soft glow of the flame.)

My concerns are as follows: a) is there a strong possibility that I will burn myself/the cards/my house down and b) what are the chances a lit candle will spill hot molten wax all over my board/pieces/crotch?

Are lit candles a good idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game Waldschattenspiel and that has a candle as a playing piece. Great game BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on whether you want the candle to be "lit" or "unlit"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
The chance of anything so patently absurd actually happening are millions to one. But statisticians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schm0
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
It all depends on whether you want the candle to be "lit" or "unlit"

Edited OP. Distinction noted.

zombiegod wrote:
The chance of anything so patently absurd actually happening are millions to one. But statisticians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

So you're saying playing with candles is like putting on Sex Panther?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife like's candles, but doesn't like the smoke, and I typically don't care for the various flavors of candles.

My wife has picked up several fake candles that meet her needs. They come in various sizes and some even flicker like regular candles.

You can achieve nearly the same ambiance without endangering your life, your boardgames, or your residence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schm0 wrote:
Are lit candles a good idea?

Yes. One of my best gaming memories was playing Go with my wife in candlelight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We commonly use candles. As long as it doesn't go unattended and nobody is holding something over it, you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmanweiss wrote:
My wife like's candles, but doesn't like the smoke, and I typically don't care for the various flavors of candles.

You guys should try some beeswax candles. If I remember right they actually "clean" the air rather than pollute it like the petroleum based ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marta Kelly
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
I've used a fake candle for the first player token in Arkham Horror, but that has to get passed around so I'd never use a real lit candle. The fake one was very atmospheric though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candles are a rather splendid idea. I must try this myself soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one game of Caylus I had a small tealight lit near the board for atmospheric purposes ( I think it was French Vanilla scented so it seemed appropriate). I leant over to study what buildings were still available, when my husband calmly pointed out that my hair was on fire!

Thankfully other than a revolting smell no real damage was done.

Still, it always makes me smile when people refer to it as a brain burner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't put them on the table with the game, if for no other reason than you don't want it to fall if someone gets up during the game and bumps the table.

But it might be nice to put them in other places in the room like a mantle, counter, coffee table, or some other stable surface not in use. Do that and you should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a LOT of companies making "candles" that look and feel like true candles, but instead are battery-powered LEDs. Some even flicker, like a candle.

While REAL candles set the mood, these are safer.

A quick look at Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/177-4650848-8102437...

...and some LED candle pix below. If you go this route, I would seek out ones that are reviewed to be pretty bright. The ones I have seen emit a soft light with a gentle flicker... possibly a bit dim for a game like Waldschattenspiel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't leave a room that contains a lit candle. Candles account for a significant number of house fires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Don't leave a room that contains a lit candle. Candles account for a significant number of house fires.

*gets image in head of numerous friends happening to pop round whilst a candle is lit, none of them being able to leave, and all standing around, a staring intently at, the lit candle, 'just in case'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the right set-up your candles can be not only romantic but also mess free and safe for you and your game.

1) Get high quality "dripless" candles. They do drip, but not much. They do cost a lot more than the cheap ones you get in six packs at the supermarket, but they also last longer.

2) Get some proper candlesticks. They should have a dish at the base of the candle to catch drips and they should hold the candle firmly. Also they should have a stable base so they can't easily be knocked over(use a table that isn't easily rocked as well) and be tall so that the light from the candle is up high enough to light the playing area well. Low candles cast awkward shadows that make it hard to see your pieces/cards etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon :)
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic by candlelight? Are you nuts?! Just turn on the tv and enjoy the movie "Outbreak" instead. If you must use candles, consider playing Flash Point. For every new Hot Spot, light another candle...it's much more thematic that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had candlelit/campfire-lit RPG sessions a couple of times, it's a nice touch, but you should make sure you don't have to read any fine print at any point in the game.

And besides... You're asking complete strangers whether you and your girlfriend are able to safely handle *candles*... I'd say probably yes, in any case you're most certainly more qualified to answer this question yourself, but just in case I'll assemble a short checklist:

1) Do you keep highly volatile chemicals next to your game?
2) Is your table a giant, table-shaped, gasoline-filled waterballoon?
3) Do you live on a planet with extremely high methane and oxygen concentrations in the atmosphere?
4) Does fire call out to you and tell you to do terrible things with it, such as burning down orphanages?
5) If a candle were to fall over, would you NOT have the following reaction: Immediately slam the fire out with your hand, silently curse about the mess and the (highly unlikely but possible) tiny burn on your hand, clean the wax up, and forget about it?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, you probably shouldn't, otherwise you're probably fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schm0
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Bob wrote:
Pandemic by candlelight? Are you nuts?! Just turn on the tv and enjoy the movie "Outbreak" instead. If you must use candles, consider playing Flash Point. For every new Hot Spot, light another candle...it's much more thematic that way.

I am a fledgling boardgamer with, alas, only two games to keep us company. blush

Flash Point is on my watchlist, though.

Flamin_Jesus wrote:
...but just in case I'll assemble a short checklist:

A questionnaire! I love these!

Quote:

1) Do you keep highly volatile chemicals next to your game?

Well I would say that least one of us is smokin' hot, and she can be quite volatile at times. Especially when forgetting to take out the trash.

Quote:

That's a no. We sold our last one on craigslist.

Quote:
3) Do you live on a planet with extremely high methane and oxygen concentrations in the atmosphere?

Unfortunately, it's mostly nitrogen. Do I get bonus points for trace amounts of nuclear radiation?

Quote:
4) Does fire call out to you and tell you to do terrible things with it, such as burning down orphanages?

Ah, I'm all too familiar with this phenomenon. But that's a no for me. That's Uncle Jim. (They say it skips a generation or two.)

Quote:
5) If a candle were to fall over, would you NOT have the following reaction: Immediately slam the fire out with your hand, silently curse about the mess and the (highly unlikely but possible) tiny burn on your hand, clean the wax up, and forget about it?

This is probably my greatest fear. I am hoping I would react in such a way, but it really depends on how many player cards are left in the deck.

That was fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schm0 wrote:

Quote:

That's a no. We sold our last one on craigslist.

Aw man.. I was asking because I've been looking for one of those...

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, it's mostly nitrogen. Do I get bonus points for trace amounts of nuclear radiation?

Only if you live on the planet of the Psychlos, where radiation is apparently explosive.

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, I'm all too familiar with this phenomenon. But that's a no for me. That's Uncle Jim. (They say it skips a generation or two.)

Lucky bastard, MY parents/uncles/aunts never scurged the earth with the fire of vengeance, so it all falls to me... Or so the master in my nightlight tells me.

One way or another, (here's a somewhat belated) welcome to the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schm0
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
By the way, regarding the fledgling thing: I hope you don't take my post the wrong way, I was kidding (and trying to impart the message that it'll be fine, although that might have been buried)

Thanks, and no worries! It would take a bit more to hurt my feelings. We've caught the fever, to borrow a pun, so we're just anxious for the next opening in our budget and get another game.

So many games to buy, so little time/money/decisiveness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schm0 wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
By the way, regarding the fledgling thing: I hope you don't take my post the wrong way, I was kidding (and trying to impart the message that it'll be fine, although that might have been buried)

Thanks, and no worries! It would take a bit more to hurt my feelings. We've caught the fever, to borrow a pun, so we're just anxious for the next opening in our budget and get another game.

So many games to buy, so little time/money/decisiveness.

Heh, my apologies, you know how it is on the internet, sometimes one has to couch one's statements for the humor-impaired.

Regarding the money thing, I just rob people at gunpoint, you can try that, or if you're completely immoral you could become an investment-banker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schm0
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Regarding the money thing, I just rob people at gunpoint, you can try that, or if you're completely immoral you could become an investment-banker.

Now you've gone and offended me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schm0 wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

Now you've gone and offended me.

I knew I could do it! I want to thank my parents, and my friends, and Jesus, and that guy who sold me that hot-dog before the post, and... holycrapmygutisexploding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.