Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat Rafferty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm misreading the v3.4 rules (I've never played 2R1B), but it seems like only two Leader cards are necessary, no?

Just to be clear, here's my interpretation of the Leader nomination rules:

After character cards are dealt out and players separate into two rooms, one person in each room is given the Round 1 Leader card (at random, presumably). Someone starts a stopwatch and Round 1 begins.

At this point, the person with the Round 1 Leader card gives it to another player and raises their hand. The player to whom the Leader card was given then gives the card to another player and they raise their hand. This continues until the majority of the players in the room have raised their hand. At that point, the player holding the Leader card is the Leader.

Additionally, there's a line in the rules that states: "If a majority of players in the room do not vote for the currently nominated leader, then the players must attempt to nominate a different leader." I'm not sure what this means. Is a raised hand a "vote?" If it is, is hand raising optional? Otherwise it doesn't seem possible to not eventually come to a majority.

Under the "Usurping the Leader" rules, there is a way to switch Leaders, but it seems like you could just hand the Round 1 Leader card over to the person who proposed the usurpation (?) rather than having eight extra Leader cards.

Okay, this is kind of long.

TL;DR - The Leader rules seem a bit unclear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look in the middle of this image,

There is a leader card for each round. And each round-specific leader card tells you how many hostages you are supposed to send for that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you wouldn't believe how many people don't remember (or even argue) what round we are in. I have to make it clear when I teach for team leaders to change the top of the "leader stack" so the round number is current for the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Rafferty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
There is a leader card for each round. And each round-specific leader card tells you how many hostages you are supposed to send for that round.

Ah. Gotcha. Duh.

My other question re: what constitutes a "vote" and whether or not it's optional is still a bit shaky, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lympi wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Ah. Gotcha. Duh.

My other question re: what constitutes a "vote" and whether or not it's optional is still a bit shaky, though.

Raising your hand is a "vote", at the time of a nomination. It's optional.

The way we play is: instead of passing leader cards (we have the whole stack of 5 that we pass around, with the current round on top) around for nominations, we usually just announce a name, and see who votes for that person. And then when someone finally gets enough votes, we give them the stack. That way whoever is holding the stack is actually leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Rafferty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
lympi wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Ah. Gotcha. Duh.

Okay, that makes much more sense.

I guess my next question would be, can you put your hand down after you raise it but before a Leader is elected? Alternatively, can you raise it after you've already passed the Leader card? What about before you've received it? Can you be given the Leader card back after you give it away?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions, then there's almost no point in the Leader card hot potato mini-game, just nominate and vote.

I'm not necessarily looking for answers now, I just think the voting rules need some clarification...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lympi wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
lympi wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Ah. Gotcha. Duh.

Okay, that makes much more sense.

I guess my next question would be, can you put your hand down after you raise it but before a Leader is elected? Alternatively, can you raise it after you've already passed the Leader card? What about before you've received it? Can you be given the Leader card back after you give it away?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions, then there's almost no point in the Leader card hot potato mini-game, just nominate and vote.

I'm not necessarily looking for answers now, I just think the voting rules need some clarification...

Nominating a Leader
To nominate a leader, any player simply gives the leader card to a player and raises their hand. Once the number of hands in the air equal more than half the number of players in the room (a majority), the person holding the leader card is then the leader. If a majority of players in the room do not vote for the currently nominated leader, then the players must attempt to nominate a different leader.

Yes to the first one. I'm not sure what you mean by the other ones.

There are 7 people in the room, and I nominate you by passing you the card and raising my hand. You raise your hand, and one other player raises their hand. You've got 3 votes for leader. I change my mind and put my hand down, and now you have 2 votes. You aren't getting majority. So someone else decides to pass the leader card to Justin, and they raise their hand, Justin raises his hand, and two more people raise their hand. That's 4, and Justin is now leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.