Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LCD screen, (multiple!!)touch-sensitive, to be used for board games. Apparently, they're showing a prototype at CES right now. Can detect pieces and whatnot on it's surface, blank out certain sections of the board so others can't see them, etc.

No real word on whether it'll have some way to import games into it, though, like Vassal or Cyberboard or the like. I wonder if they're in talks with decent game makers (Rio Grande, DoW, FFG, etc.).

I drool at the thought of being able to have it set up and take care of the bookkeeping for an ongoing Magic Realm game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my, this is the holy grail in gaming for me! To have a massive collection compressed down all onto one small hard drive would be incredible.

Googling I found this thesis which details some of the development:

http://www.it-products.sdu.dk/marcelle/Dujia_EnterTable.pdf

What's interesting is that this guy, of course, instantly wants to steer it away from thoughtful boardgaming and make it a dexterity, RTS "touch fest". Thankfully the original intent of the design seems to be about making a real boardgaming interface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Denny
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came across this - with pics - on eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62321

I think it looks pretty interesting. Makes Knizia's "The Island" look a bit naive though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's the holy grail of boardgaming for a lot of people- that's why I mentioned it. Seems cool enough, but will probably be way outside of my price range... a 30-inch LCD!! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmph! I prefer my boardgames on a board: with wooden pieces. You can take your LCD and give it to someone who wants it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hmmph! I prefer my boardgames on a board: with wooden pieces. You can take your LCD and give it to someone who wants it.

It appears that you still have to use bits. What the table does is remember where all the bits are (so you can even quit a game midstream), and could also give visual prompts and explanations to help in learning a game, or even give visual player aids. Warped boards would be a thing of the past. For especially oversized boards, the screen could zoom out for an overview, then zoom back in to specific areas at will.

I see nothing but endless possibilities here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Grady
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
What I like about this is the fact that not only could it be adapted to board gaming (which is what I want it for) but the market they're looking at (bars, restaurants, etc) has enough other uses that...

1 - the market could cause demand
2 - which would lead them to look into lowering production costs and competition from multiple companies providing the hardware
3 - which would lead to me eventually being able to afford one.

Think of it...
* order food from your table using the touch screen
* advertisments playing while you eat (this could get really annoying)
* games you could play with your food (using french fries as pieces )
* cleaner way of running an internet cafe

the list goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.