Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game looks grat but Im still undecided because the playing time 150minutes (one session report says a game played for over 5hrs!!) and the "weight" of the game might be to much for my wife. She enjoys greatly agricola, but the two player game is at most 90 minutes.

So how heavy is this game compared to agricola and how long is the game after the first learning game??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently it weighs in at two pounds and is 24 inches long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"No one ever influenced Tolkien - you might as well try to influence a bandersnatch." -C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be too much for her. It's quite confrontational. Have you tried Ora et Labora? That sounds like a better fit for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
This might be too much for her. It's quite confrontational. Have you tried Ora et Labora? That sounds like a better fit for her.

I would have suggested At the Gates of Loyang - also non-confrontational and only takes a little of an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will buy Ora et Labora for sure. At the Gates of Loyang would love to buy as it is rated as a really great 2 player game. But there is no spanish version available at the moment. I will wait for more opinions but thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Juan...

Maybe I´m not neutral on this but I will try to be unbiased.

The first game usually is the hardest and it would be 150 mins - 180 mins, then the next games would be 120 mins, maybe 150... But it depends on the AP (analysis-paralysis) of each player... For example I have seen 90 mins games but 4 hours games too. But the next games usually are 120-150 mins. There are shorter scenarios.

About Agricola... It´s not easy, they are very different games. Polis is not difficult about rules when you have played the first game, even the first round. Maybe Polis is more complex but not too much comparing it with Agricola.

I hope that I could help you. I think that I have been unbiased...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
If in doubt, check it out.

However, I would probably opt against it. From what you are describing, the game could really be not your wife's cup of tea...

The game is longer and more involved than Agricola, in that it is a game with lots of interaction. You HAVE to react to the actions of your opponent, while at the same time trying to be proactive. It is not as brainy as it sounds, but is nowhere near a lightweight. A very bad mistake in round 2, or even 1, can throw the whole game!

I would really like to recommend it, but I think you should try it first, maybe with a friend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Buy less, play more.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive only played once, and it took about 2.5 hours.

In term of rules complexity, I found Polis rules to be simpler and more intuitive than Agricola or Ora, but I might might be in the minority in that respect. Polis does have a considerable grow your economy/need to feed your people element that might appeal to a fan of Agricola. But the other half of the game is direct conflict, so I'd say that the main question is whether you think she'll like that aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say rules-wise, Polis is easier than Agricola. However, in terms of understanding what to do, I think Agricola is significantly more intuitive. I've only played one game of Polis, but I felt like I do whenever I'm faced with a new Martin Wallace game -- ok, I know the rules but I have no clue what to do. By the end of the game, I felt only a little better. My gut is that after 2 or 3 games, I'll have a decent handle on basic strategy, but for me, it may take that long.

As far as responding to your opponent, I'm not sure this is worse than 2-player Agricola or not. It depends on how you play 'Gric. For me, 2-player 'Gric is all about messing with your opponent because every point or resource he/she loses is another point/resource for you. If that's the case, I don't think Polis will be any more confrontational. If however, you play 'Gric with the "oh, you need the wood more than me, I'll let you have it", than Polis is probably not going to be your cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis P
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think the Polis rules are easier to learn than the other games mentioned in this thread. However, it is more difficult to know what to do during your turn. The latter is probably due to the game being more confrontational (a higher player interaction) than the other games mentioned.

I guess my rule of thumb would be; if you want to play your opponent (wife) get Polis; if you want to play the game mechanic at the same time as your opponent, get one of the other games mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.