Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've printed out, I think, everything I need for the tutorial: two sample ships and origami tilt boxes, both of the double sided SCC cards from the tutorial, a double sided SSD for the al-Rafik and the Wasp, and a large .9" hex map (hopefully 18x24" is enough). Shortly, I will laminate and acquire chocolate. Am I missing anything, and if not, any advice before I fling myself into space like a poorly aimed lawn dart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
make sure the chocolate is actual dark chocolate for all others are imposters and unworthy of the name or effort to consume.

otherwise, good luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the engine thrust much less then you think you should. Crazy DeltaV comes faster than you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallye72 wrote:
make sure the chocolate is actual dark chocolate for all others are imposters and unworthy of the name or effort to consume.

otherwise, good luck to you.

It is! Little squares of it broken off from a big bar, though. I'll have to place it on little bits of foil or something .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Gryfon wrote:
Use the engine thrust much less then you think you should. Crazy DeltaV comes faster than you think.

Au contraire! If you know what you're doing, the Rafik should be at max thrust until after the first firing pass, and the Wasp should be at max most of the time. Of course, that assumes that you already know the basics of the tactics for them. devil

You have good stuff to write on the SCCs, something to erase that won't take out every mark on the card, and small paperclips for the tracks on the edges?

Stand before you walk, walk before you run. Play through all of the stages of the tutorial, starting with the basics of orientation, then thrust, pivoting, and so forth. And feel free to ask questions here or on the Ad Astra Games bulletin board.

Pix or it didn't happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some cheap medium sized dry erase markers that should do it. I laminated my SCCs with the good stuff, so they should be fine, if a bit clumsy.

I ran into some trouble with my hex map; I'm gonna have to generate a bigger grid pdf and then print it out on regular sheets; I'm using this hex graph paper generator and PostRazor to divide up the image. At this rate I won't actually launch until tomorrow. Probably had too much wine to fly straight, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also new to this game. I have been aware of it for some time but only last week realised there was a tutorial kit freely available. I printed it all off and jumped right in. The step by step tutorial is excellent - there is really no point in trying to read through the rules without pushing the counters around and following the tutorial. I have some SFB megahex maps and Fed Comm maps to play on.

The game is surprisingly quick to play and the rulebook (or at least the tutorial rulebook) does not need referencing when you play. The play aids are excellent - when I first printed them out I was a little overwhelmed by their apparent complexity but when you actually start playing they are very user friendly - making the rulebook superfluous in play.

I like complex games (SFB,ASL,WIF etc.) But I don't really consider this game that complex - the proviso is that the tutorial does not have the 'dreaded' projectile rules. There are many procedures in the game but these are really quite logical and I find little difficulty in remembering and using them. I am not a particularly good mathematician but the maths content in the game is really no less than many others - certainly less than many of the calculations it takes to play a Euro well.

You can tell I like the game and even though finding opponents in the UK (I am in East Yorkshire just in case a local player is reading this!) I have ordered a copy. It wasn't easy to track down a copy in the UK but did find a new copy advertised here on BGG from a shop in Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to mention this in my last post - qudos to Ad Astra for making the tutorial kit available, without it I would not have purchased the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.