Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Morale vs units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Vam Essem
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hypothetical question. If you were balancing the game against a player better than you, would you prefer to receive X points of additional morale, or X points of additional infantry (in 2-strength blocks)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjusting morale is the best way to go to try to balance the game, as adding units could have unintended consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vam Essem
United States
California
flag msg tools
Whoshim wrote:
Adjusting morale is the best way to go to try to balance the game, as adding units could have unintended consequences.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I should have been more clear. This is more of a thought experiment. I'm trying to figure out which of additional units or additional morale is more likely to swing the game, and what the impact of each are in large and small quantities.

The nature of the game is such that (due to command limits and the way approaches between areas limit the number of units that can fight) if two people are closely matched, and only a small swing is needed, then I believe that morale is a more useful leveler and the game would play much the same. However, if there's a vast gulf between players' skill levels, then additional morale means it just takes a couple extra turns to mop up the lesser player's scattered and defeated units, whereas a modest to large number of additional units allow the weaker player to dramatically change the shape of the battlefield and be strong in more places, balancing the game that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. Well, I guess it depends on how wide a gulf, but adding 4 extra 2 str. inf. to the French would be good. I think it would be better to add commands to the Allied side to help a less experienced player. 2 extra Corps commands a turn would probably be enough to bridge a wide skill gap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z A
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. Adding units is too problematic. Adding morale will simply force the advanced player to spend a little more time killing the new player's units. Instead, in the same vein as the bidding for sides optional rule, reduce morale for the advanced player. 2 for a small skill gap, 4 for a medium, and 6 for a large.

This will force the advanced player to be less aggressive. Thus reducing the amount of probing and spoiling attacks, helping preserve the new player's units/morale/force cohesion. It will also allows the new player's successful attacks to be more effective in that they reduce a higher percentage of the advanced player's morale each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take more commands as the Allies. (kidding)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarion of Arabel wrote:
Instead, in the same vein as the bidding for sides optional rule, reduce morale for the advanced player. 2 for a small skill gap, 4 for a medium, and 6 for a large.

That has precedent of sorts. In the Bonaparte at Marengo ladder, we used to bid for French morale, with most games being actually played with them a point or two below the official starting level. It worked well.

purplebaron wrote:
However, if there's a vast gulf between players' skill levels...

If there's a vast gulf between skill levels, I'd suggest playing a learning game where the stronger player teaches the weaker one, pausing to point out opportunities and explain what's happening. I just don't think playing competitively with the starting conditions tilted to silly levels is likely to prove satisfying (unless it's a parent playing with a child).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purely for experimental purposes, not for gaming nor teaching, it would be interesting to pit two completely different armies against each other.

Example: A horde of 1-strength cavalry with large number of indy commands. V.S. A strong, infantry-based army, that in effect only moves in cohorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Scipio Oaklandus wrote:
I'll take more commands as the Allies. (kidding)

I'd say the more experienced player should have four morale points less....

Oh, I won the game Scipio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.