Mare Nostrum: Mythology Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Centaurs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to be sure, surely the centaur get an extra 6 (if enemy units still remain) after having used its ability to kill one legion before combat?

The expansion is great be the way. More control and balance and fun, to all players, without changing the gameplay too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo In my understanding, ALL the mythological beasties are like movable fortresses, and ALL generate the automatic six (except when facing Carthage's behemoths, when they must roll instead). goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The centaur's ability before combat is used as are any relevant Hero abilities (eg Helen of Troy*) , then normal combat occurs, with the centaur rolling an automatic 6 (in most cases). Multiple centaurs kill multiple legions and then roll multiple 6s. The centaur is very dangerous!

*I'm not sure what order the abilities take place in. My guess would be attacker chooses, but I have no definite evidence for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Philip Thomas wrote:
The centaur's ability before combat is used as are any relevant Hero abilities (eg Helen of Troy*) , then normal combat occurs, with the centaur rolling an automatic 6 (in most cases). Multiple centaurs kill multiple legions and then roll multiple 6s. The centaur is very dangerous!

*I'm not sure what order the abilities take place in. My guess would be attacker chooses, but I have no definite evidence for that.

Helen of Troy has to be employed the moment a legion steps into a province; after that, she cannot affect it anymore. If there was a fight in a province involving a Centaur, and a new legion moves into the province in the same turn, then Helen is allowed to convert that legion at that particular time---only then the Centaur has already fought, so it cannot use its special ability. The timing of Helen is a bit tricky, but fairly logical once you get the hang of her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I thought that was the case. But what about Midas?

The example I was thinking of was where the Centaur and the Legion enter the province together. Obviously Helen converts the Legion, and now the Centaur can kill it. Kinda dumb to bring it with you, but there we go, maybe you are trying to get him to use up Helen for the round.

Your example seems to imply the Centaur's ability is once a turn. I think it is once a combat- if 5 different players attack my centaur with a legion, it kills a legion in each fight. Likewise if someone attacks my centaur with a legion, on my turn I can attack with the centaur and still use his ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Philip Thomas wrote:
Yes, I thought that was the case. But what about Midas?
Midas, midas, mi.... Dás. (I need to play this game frcryinoutloud, but the people I play MN with couldn't set an earlier date than late January .) The consensus seems to be that one applies the 'interruptions' or 'stack' principle from Magic: The Gathering. So you get a situation as follows (translated from the MN-forum)

Player A: I attack you now.
Player B: Yes, but I use Helen of Troy. (That's too late IMHO, but okay.)
Player A: Yes, but I use Midas.
Player B: Yes, but I use Medusa.

And so forth; resolution occurs from the bottom up. Apparently there is no set order in which special powers are resolved, although I would definitely try to impose some sort of order when dealing with Helen. After all, she beguiles legions who have never seen her, and it helps to remember players that they should be careful when entering a province under control of someone holding Helen. Midas is somewhat more flexible, and could under a stack interpretation very well interfere with the ability of the Centaur.

Quote:
The example I was thinking of was where the Centaur and the Legion enter the province together. Obviously Helen converts the Legion, and now the Centaur can kill it. Kinda dumb to bring it with you, but there we go, maybe you are trying to get him to use up Helen for the round.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Your example seems to imply the Centaur's ability is once a turn. I think it is once a combat- if 5 different players attack my centaur with a legion, it kills a legion in each fight. Likewise if someone attacks my centaur with a legion, on my turn I can attack with the centaur and still use his ability.

I agree with you, my example wasn't very good. I was trying to weave three things together, and the result was a mess. The Centaur is an exceedingly dangerous mythological creature to find against you, even more so than Helen of Troy. But that is undoubtedly why Greece is so much more powerful in the extension .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou Maarten, I understand stacking...so should many of my fellow players as Magic is still popular in Durham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.