Lunderful Games
msg tools
That's to all who contributed to my last point, kinda related, wondering who here had had a successful Kickstarter campaign with a game and what they would advice others to do from what they learned?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nguyen
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
May want to check out this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/718136/succeeding-with-k....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
And listen to the Funding the Dream podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunderful Games
msg tools
Thanks guys! Never found that link, looks like lots of good stuff on there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another place to ask is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/320445024722916/ there are many people on there that used kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Heya Lunderful,

There is _loads_ of stuff out there about kickstartering your boardgame, and there are many people on these forums that have had successful campaigns. Because it's such a huge topic, I don't think a small post in these forums will do anywhere near the amount of justice needed. I would hunt around for previous threads, the internet, blogs, bgg blogs, etc. and you should find lots and lots of stuff but you have to work on finding the information.

I used to give loads of advice to kickstarter hopefuls here on the forums and it used to take me ages. But I stopped doing it since some teams were much less thankful than others.

I believe I directly helped out about 3 kickstarter teams reach their goals and if I can sum up the most key point for you here, the one the the failures tend to disregard, and the successes really take on board, it would be this:

Prepare and work towards your goal, at LEAST one year in advance

I hope I've helped buddy,

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are helpful:
http://www.jamesmathe.com/kicking-screaming/
http://stonemaiergames.com/2012/12/19/kickstarter-lesson-1-s... (and the other 8 posts in the series)

Though now I'm looking at all of the other things in the thread and seeing if they're more helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you haven't found it - there is also a Kickstarter forum on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg! I think we're at 11 entries and counting now. The latest one is about stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Also keep in mind... From what I've seen over the past year + of tweaking my own game and readying for a campaign -

Kickstarter is a moving target. There's many, MANY variables that contributed to one campaign meeting a goal (nay, vastly exceeding the goal) and another campaign representing a potentially superior game floundering.

There's the normal "standing order" stuff like:

- Good informative video

- well thought out plan covering ALL aspects of the development/production cycle

- Not being an asshat or thinking you have this amazing unique idea no one else thought of.

- GOOD, informative, PROOFREAD writing on your campaign page

And then there's the soft stuff, the variables that might work for a Zombie game in the month of February because Walking Dead just had sweeps week. Stuff you can't entirely predict or plan for. Stuff that while it may have gotten one game to a 100K goal, is NOT universally applicable.

Knowing the difference seems to be a HUGE deal. Learn fromt he greats, but don't copy them exactly.

Oh - and add miniatures, because that'll net you half a mil, easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
May be not the kind of advice you're looking for, but here are my feelings after my first and successful Kickstarter campaign :
http://faidutti.com/blog/?p=1631
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to throw out the obvious one and say take a look at the campaigns you have supported.

How many were successful and how many failed?
How many failed the first time and then relaunched and were successful?

I've backed 65 game projects since 2011 and the ones that failed made a few common mistakes

1. Post and forget

I can only assume they figured just being on Kickstarter was enough

2. Lack of a clear description of what the project was about

3. Lack of communication

4. Lack of a social media presence

Now if you look at the ones that have been successful they did the complete opposite of those 4 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.