Ace Rimmer
msg tools
sans_fi wrote:
Personally, I like the Nebulon B more brownish grey than the blue grey.

Yeah, I'm in too minds whether to go for the more traditional Rebel "Redemption" style weathered and battered colour scheme, or the cleaner, more uniform fresh-from-Kuat-Drive-Yards Imperial grey colour scheme. I might go for the orange-brown and green main hull sections, or I might stick with the blue/grey.

I will be doing at least a bit of some brown/rusty weathering & scorchmarks on it though (you gotta love Devlan Mud).

BlueRonin wrote:
Any particular reason why you just don't wait until you are done to apply Dullcoat? Have you had better experience weathering after applying the Matt varnish?

Mainly because I want a flat, matt background to work on when I'm detailing rather than a gloss background (I find it a little easier to work with). I'm also be re-glossing the windows/lights to give them a shine after the dullcoat as well.

I could probably streamline the process a bit if I tried I guess, just really the way I'm used to working!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
United States
flag msg tools
Mel,

Here is a picture of half of my Viper Swarm. I need a better camera but hopefully I'll have some photos of a larger share of my customs soon.

Thanks for designing the ships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Mel_Miniatures
mbmbmbmbmb
Those will look great next to the S&V Virago. In case people dont know where these are from, they are from the Shadows of the Empire comic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berg
Switzerland
flag msg tools
SOTE really was one of the coolest EU projects that Lucas ever did!

@Airborn: very nice paintjobs and the red is spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
United States
flag msg tools
sans_fi wrote:
Those will look great next to the S&V Virago. In case people dont know where these are from, they are from the Shadows of the Empire comic:

Thanks man!

I already have a proxy Virago, though I thought the all red from the comic was too much. I used the pictures of Guri's ship and some grey, red and white Black Sun Z-95s to come up with a common scheme for my Black Sun forces. I also figured they would fit well with Kath Scarlet and Binyare Pirates when I get around to repainting those.

I stuck with the all red for the Vipers but used the other scheme for the rest. Haven't finished my Z-95s yet and the Virago isn't finished yet but didn't want to hold up the display until I get all the touch ups finished.

Virago is Titanium Series, Guri's Stinger is a scratchbuild carved out of balsa, the R-41 Starchasers and Rikzryks are from Utar's Ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You REALLY like the black sun... you will be happy to know that I plan on releasing pretty soon the Black Sun fighters from Star Wars Galaxies (and the Hutt Fighters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapeways tells me that the 1st of my 2 cheap Frigates is completed. I can hardly wait until they are at my doorstep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Sawyer
msg tools
mbmbmb
AirborneEngineer wrote:
I already have a proxy Virago, though I thought the all red from the comic was too much. I used the pictures of Guri's ship and some grey, red and white Black Sun Z-95s to come up with a common scheme for my Black Sun forces. I also figured they would fit well with Kath Scarlet and Binyare Pirates when I get around to repainting those.

(...)

Virago is Titanium Series, Guri's Stinger is a scratchbuild carved out of balsa, the R-41 Starchasers and Rikzryks are from Utar's Ships.

Loving the pictures, man; a great looking fleet! Curious about the red/orange bases, though; where are they from? Are they all FFG bases or have you found some other source that copies them?

FTS Gecko wrote:
Mainly because I want a flat, matt background to work on when I'm detailing rather than a gloss background (I find it a little easier to work with). I'm also be re-glossing the windows/lights to give them a shine after the dullcoat as well.

That makes sense, I can relate to having too much of a glossy background being a distraction.

AirborneEngineer wrote:
Mel,

Here is a picture of half of my Viper Swarm. (...)

Does anybody have a link to more information / "fluff" on the Viper? I haven't been able to find anything relevant to this craft, and I'm curious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ace Rimmer
msg tools
With the painting well underway, I'm now giving thought to basing the bad boy.

I've picked up two Perspex sheets - one measuring 200mm by 100mm by 8mm thick for the fore section, on 100mm by 100mm by 8mm thick for the aft.

My original plan was to drill the Perspex sheets and attach to the Frigate with either steel screw-ended rods or Perspex rods. I'm unconvinced so far this will be the right option.

I'm now considering using rare earth magnets to connect the sheets, rods and Frigate together - 10mm x 10mm, 1mm thick magnets should do the trick, it would be less messy, easy to assemble/disassemble and less likely to cause damage to any of the individual components - I'm loathe to start drilling/cutting etc unless I have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
United States
flag msg tools
BlueRonin wrote:

Loving the pictures, man; a great looking fleet! Curious about the red/orange bases, though; where are they from? Are they all FFG bases or have you found some other source that copies them?

AirborneEngineer wrote:
Mel,

Here is a picture of half of my Viper Swarm. (...)

Does anybody have a link to more information / "fluff" on the Viper? I haven't been able to find anything relevant to this craft, and I'm curious!

The bases are the Klingon Attack Wing bases cause they were on my desk when I was painting. Just using them to set the ships on for painting as I can hold them by the pegs.

Not much fluff on the Viper. They are from the Shadows of the Empire book and comic. In the book they were unmarked fighters without much other description. Then they were depicted as above in the comic version along with the red Virago. They didn't pick up much lore after that. The big reason I started a Black Sun Force was to do the Battle Over Coruscant from that book. Rogue Squadron, Dash Rendar, Lando with the Falcon and Luke versus a Black Sun swarm with Tie Fighters intervening against Black Sun while Rogue Squadron escapes in the chaos. One of these days I will run it at a convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
United States
flag msg tools
sans_fi wrote:
You REALLY like the black sun... you will be happy to know that I plan on releasing pretty soon the Black Sun fighters from Star Wars Galaxies (and the Hutt Fighters)

My wife and my wallet might not like you for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berg
Switzerland
flag msg tools
@AirborneEngineer : Dang that's one sweet Black Sun Fleet! Kudos!

On another note...Sith happens resp. "happened". Look what just arrived, folks!

Skipray Blastboat:

Sith Fighter:

Sith Interceptor:

Sith Fury and all the others:

All ships executed in FUD. The funky thing about the Sith Fury with wings opened is that the wings are somewhat bent which may be the FUD. Not sure how I'll straighten them out yet. The wings are pretty thin so bending them will be risky business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some awesome pictures Christian Berg! Ive never seen some of those in FUD and they look awesome (enjoy the FUD detail on that Fury Interceptor).

And more good news: XS Light Freighter

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2814973/cargero-xs-ligero.ht...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephentur wrote:

All ships executed in FUD. The funky thing about the Sith Fury with wings opened is that the wings are somewhat bent which may be the FUD. Not sure how I'll straighten them out yet. The wings are pretty thin so bending them will be risky business.

I would DEFINITELY recommend you contact shapeways; they have been very responsive to me in the past [issuing credit for a model which didn't come out; just send a high-quality picture to them].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt realise about that! Sorry. You should definetively contact Shapeways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Sawyer
msg tools
mbmbmb
sans_fi wrote:
Those are some awesome pictures Christian Berg! Ive never seen some of those in FUD and they look awesome (enjoy the FUD detail on that Fury Interceptor).

And more good news: XS Light Freighter

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2814973/cargero-xs-ligero.ht...

Wow, fantastic! You are a wizard Mel! Another model gets bumped to the top of my list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berg
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Oh come on Mel give me - more precisely my credit card - a break! I want that XS Light Freighter now!

@Jim & Mel: Yes, I have sent them an email. FUD may just be too finicky a material for those extended wings on struts. The pic in WSF looks a LOT more sturdy in terms.

As for the other models:
I'm stumped by the Sith Interceptor and especially the fighter which is so teeny tiny and fragile-looking but just perfectly executed!

The Skipray put on a base next to a TIE Fighter is...impressive. I think the TIE pilot either sh*t his pants or had a a very bad case of "penis envy" i.e. "OMFG, his is much bigger" laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Sawyer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nephentur wrote:

Do you have a water boiler? I usually boil up water and pour it into a bowl of adequate size - then I dip the model just long enough to make the material plyable (often only needing 5-10 seconds for smaller parts).

It is a forgiving technique, as long as you keep carefully testing the material. Keep a ruler or something nearby to help bend the wing to a straight shape once it is "soft" enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Straightening methods for FD / FUD?
BlueRonin wrote:
Nephentur wrote:

Do you have a water boiler? I usually boil up water and pour it into a bowl of adequate size - then I dip the model just long enough to make the material plyable (often only needing 5-10 seconds for smaller parts).

It is a forgiving technique, as long as you keep carefully testing the material. Keep a ruler or something nearby to help bend the wing to a straight shape once it is "soft" enough.

I don't know if this works on FD / FUD, although it may on WSF. I advise caution.

I've not used it on any shapeways stuff yet; the only attempt I did with some slim 'wings' on an FD model resulted in a 'cracking' noise, which I did not further attempt. FD / FUD is VERY brittle in my limited experience. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berg
Switzerland
flag msg tools
@Jim & Alex: I will wait for shapeways answer before attempting the heat treatment option. Hot water baths are in my opinion a very good approach nontheless since the alternative with hair dryers or the likes heats the material too irregulary which creates a tendion differential in the model.

FD/FUD seem very brittle indeed and I dont know yet as to how much the material will yield.

Not to keen on going fullout on the Fury right away; it would seriously bum me out if I broke off its wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berg
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Ok, I tried something completely different which will sound totally weird.

I thought that while waiting for a response I'd get rid of the oily residue in a wicked way: I put all the models in the dishwasher at 45°C for 90 minutes.
Guess what...I think I used the right word before - "tension". The Fury cam out of the dishwasher and the wings had straightened themselves out without any intervention!

It's a kind of magic!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great results! Cool to know. Hope it stays that way after it cooled down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berg
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Yes. Cool now and it stays :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Sawyer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nephentur wrote:
Ok, I tried something completely different which will sound totally weird.

I thought that while waiting for a response I'd get rid of the oily residue in a wicked way: I put all the models in the dishwasher at 45°C for 90 minutes.
Guess what...I think I used the right word before - "tension". The Fury cam out of the dishwasher and the wings had straightened themselves out without any intervention!

It's a kind of magic!!

Haha, a freakin' dishwasher! Outstanding! Another trick to add to the repertoire!

On the meterial: now FUD is still inherently a resin compound, right? However hard and brittle, it should still conforms to the basic properties of a resin meterial?

I straightened a section with a short dip in near-boiling water and heard no cracking noise or anything...

I was reading this:

Shapeways wrote:
During printing, Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail products are supported by a waxy material that is dissolved after printing is complete. This support material changes the texture of the product, making it slightly rougher and less transparent, and making stepping lines more visible. When printing in Frosted Detail, support material encloses the entire product, giving it a slightly lower quality but more consistent finish. When printing in Frosted Ultra Detail, only some portions of the product touch the support material, so the final product has a slightly inconsistent finish, but overall higher surface quality. We recommend Frosted Ultra Detail for any models that will be painted, as painting can make print lines more visible.

This made me curious, and I can't wait to insect my next FUD models for this "slight inconsistency".

Mel, is there any predictability on where your design will be "supported" when you submit a design for production?

I'm wondering whether it is possible to make a design with this "flaw" in mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berg
Switzerland
flag msg tools
"Inconsistent" as in: parts seem very glossy, other parts milky and inside the hollow models you can find wide swaths of very yellowy way. Especially one of the Furys Wing which makes me wonder whether it's being printed lying on its belly or standing on one side since the other wing was almost way-free.
The look becomes a lot more unified once you've washed the model a couple of times and brushed it down with a toothbursh. And obviously you won't see anything anymore once it's base coated.

FD is VERY different to FUD when it comes to surface texture. I order my models in FUD and all the bases in FD and let me tell you that for very small fighters like the Sith ones I'd definitely go for FUD!

Skipray or Assault transports or generally fighters with a more solid superstructure should also be ok in FD once you've applied a nice base coat.

Edit: I can't get over how bloody cool this model is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  33 , 34 , 35 , 36 , 37  Next »  [50] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.