Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played out first game with the expansion, A Cry for Help, and everyone loved it. The investigators won by the skin of their teeth, killing Ammi Pearce just one turn before he would have killed one of them. And there was nothing that felt cheesy or unbalanced, and importantly (for me anyway) nothing that felt thematically silly OR that I even felt like I wanted to change!

It always felt like the scenario design could be so much more interesting if only the designers would get themselves out of the scenario rut they seemed to get in of making all the scenarios exactly the same (i.e, always exactly 5 event cards, always a linear clue chain, etc). With this expansion, they've completely broken the mould in every way and it's done the game a great, great service - made it what it always should have been.

Well done, FFG! As well as to James McTeagure (sp?) and Rob Yang, who am sure are in large part responsible for making sure nothing went wrong this time. Congrats, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, saying all that, I don't think I could ever go back to playing the base game scenarios after these - they would just seem so dull and uninteresting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about the replayability? I have been skeptical about this despite your optimism, being very disappointed by the base game myself. It is good to hear you are still positive after playing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficult to comment. In one way more replayable because the keeper can now also customise his action cards within each scneario (and they are kept secret from the investigators until used). In another way maybe less replayable because in most scenarios there is now only one objective - it's just the details of the objective that change.

Replayability isn't so much an issue for me though as I have far too many games that need playing, so MoM doesn't hit the table *that* often, and so I'd rather the scenarios be interesting and distinctive than replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the objective known in advance then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Well done, FFG! As well as to James McTeagure (sp?) and Rob Yang, who am sure are in large part responsible for making sure nothing went wrong this time. Congrats, guys!

No 'r' (but considering how I've heard it said/saw it spelled, I'm not complaining) Thanks!

And seriously guys. This expansion now has the seal of approval of the guy who fixed the base game, the person who complained about Mansions so much that FFG responded, and me. If you're on the edge worried about someone posting big complaints, don't worry. You will not be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Is the objective known in advance then?

Kinda. On the first play, the strict wording of the objective would be unknown, but the investigators practically have it spelled out for them in the prologue text and strategy tips (which replace the old prologue first clue). On repeated plays then yes, obviously the investigators would know the objective in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Whether the objective is known in advance depends on your point of view. After the first time you've played A Cry For Help, you'll know the text of the objective card, so you'll know to find the culprit and what you need to do with the culprit... but you won't know who the culprit is, so in that sense your objective is still unknown. Which is arguably a much more meaningful sense than "When I find Clue 1, do I run away with a plot item or solve a boss puzzle?", and certainly leaves the investigation much more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to hear (mine is on order). Has anyone heard if the future Print on Demand expansions (if any are planned) will be based on the new expansion, the original game or both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hola Planeta
Mexico
flag msg tools
Oh... I just got the base game with FA... and played once and everybody almost feel asleep or were very mad and frustrated by the gameplay.

Now this comes around and I´m happy, but I thought there were going to be rules on this expansion that could be applied to the base game to make it as fun as this sounds to be.

Since I just had this "bad" experience with it and it cost me a ton of money, (I even painted the miniatures, got paints and everything!, made some real props from the scenarios... I was that excited) do you think that maybe eventually there could be an "overwrite" of the rules to make them one for all (base+scenarios)? Maybe something that could be posted here in the files section?

This is what makes me sad: cry
bleached_lizard wrote:
In fact, saying all that, I don't think I could ever go back to playing the base game scenarios after these - they would just seem so dull and uninteresting.

What I´m trying to say is that I want to keep the old scenarios and update them with the new good stuff to make them as great as most of you say this expansion is. Overwriting the old rules that made it not so great and getting the best that it can be...

Thanks, I really hope this "2.0 patch" could be eventually possible in some way and that the improvements are not scenario-locked, but able to be applied to the all the game scenarios and gameplay in overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holaplaneta wrote:
Oh... I just got the base game with FA... and played once and everybody almost feel asleep or were very mad and frustrated by the gameplay.

Now this comes around and I´m happy, but I thought there were going to be rules on this expansion that could be applied to the base game to make it as fun as this sounds to be.

Since I just had this "bad" experience with it and it cost me a ton of money, (I even painted the miniatures, got paints and everything!, made some real props from the scenarios... I was that excited) do you think that maybe eventually there could be an "overwrite" of the rules to make them one for all (base+scenarios)? Maybe something that could be posted here in the files section?

This is what makes me sad: cry
bleached_lizard wrote:

What I´m trying to say is that I want to keep the old scenarios and update them with the new good stuff to make them as great as most of you say this expansion is. Overwriting the old rules that made it not so great and getting the best that it can be...

Thanks, I really hope this "2.0 patch" could be eventually possible in some way and that the improvements are not scenario-locked, but able to be applied to the all the game scenarios and gameplay in overall.

Nope. They're, as you say, "scenario locked".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hola Planeta
Mexico
flag msg tools
Here´s hoping then that they might get a "revised scenarios" update pdf soon in order to use the same components with the same old stories but with the new streamlined system that seems to be so much more fun.

Maybe even fan made.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holaplaneta wrote:
Here´s hoping then that they might get an "revised scenarios" update pdf soon in order to use the same components with the same old stories but with the new streamlined system that seems to be so much more fun.

Maybe even fan made.

Thanks.

Extremely unlikely, I'm afraid. I may do one final revision to the Revised Scenarios document, so that it includes a version of Green-Eyed Boy that I'm happy with, but even that won't be coming any time soon, if ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hola Planeta
Mexico
flag msg tools
All your efforts are most excellent Chris. I do have all your revised scenarios. Thanks for the hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually also got the base game recently (but no expansions) and I had a blast with friends playing the first scenario. I'm not sure why online reviews and others say that the base game is fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.