Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very belated, but thank you for making Games International available on BGG.

I think more in-depth reading material about games, especially in a published format, is always a good idea, and I am very glad that GI has made a comeback.

The older issues are less colorful (of course), but I still enjoy them for a look into the gaming world when it was much younger, and the articles are quite excellent---old and new.

As I get more interested in games, I become more interested in reading all kinds of articles about it---from the transitional sense of many online articles, including all kinds of blogs, to the more thought-out, polished articles both online and in print. Now that the Games Journal is gone, I really have begun to appreciate the quality that such literature gives to those of us who game.

Any serious hobby or venture will have quality articles about it on a regular basis in an organized format; this is what gives a hobby depth, not to mention a sense of reality outside of gaming sessions.

Plus it's just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
A suggestion: it might be worth drawing attention to the availability of sample articles to a greater extent. I know I looked for a sample issue advertised in a bullet at some point in the past, and, not seeing it, decided it wasn't worth considering a purchase. This time I checked more carefully, and without ever reading about the sample articles in the description, decided on the basis of the word 'Browse' in 'Browse Single Issues' that there might be something on that page which would indicate the quality of the writing and its value for me.

This might simply reflect my own impatience and foolishness, but given what I know of the reading habits of web users, I suspect it's worth a slight rearrangement, even if that just means putting the words 'sample articles' in bold.

Excellent work on the improvements to BGG, and I hope the tone of this post is helpful and constructive, as I intend it to be. Some feedback of value can often be found in even the most offensive gripes, but this way is preferable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Tan
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just a question to anyone who has both the hardcopy and has seen the softcopy.

Is the quality of the pictures within the magazine the same? I don't have the hardcopy but my experience with printed magazines is that they have much clearer pictures than what I'm seeing with these softcopies.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the pdf version, so cannot offer a comparison. However, the print magazine photos seem to be mainly "promo" type pictures, possibly from the games companies themselves. Some depict the German version of a game for which the review is of the English version, some show close-ups of randomly selected components and, yes, some are very low resolution and as a consequence blurred. I would be surprised if there are many photos which are taken specifically for the publication, but acknowledge that GI does not employ a staff photographer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Tan
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tim Synge wrote:
I haven't seen the pdf version, so cannot offer a comparison. However, the print magazine photos seem to be mainly "promo" type pictures, possibly from the games companies themselves. Some depict the German version of a game for which the review is of the English version, some show close-ups of randomly selected components and, yes, some are very low resolution and as a consequence blurred. I would be surprised if there are many photos which are taken specifically for the publication, but acknowledge that GI does not employ a staff photographer.

Thanks Tim!

There was no way for me to check it out unless I went out to blow a huge load of money by shipping it out of England. (If you looked at the mailing cost, you'd think of far better things to do with your money - such as buy more games.)

That being confirmed. (The low resolution pictures) I'll be happy to keep my subscription with Games International and I'm glad that the Geek has made it available for people like me to read it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harding
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish my hardcopy would arrive cry

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.