Subject: Recreating Zocchi's stacked d20 photograph rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dice [+] [View All]
Alan De Smet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm sure a lot of people here have seen Zocchi's old black and white photograph of stacks of d20s that he brought to conventions to show how superior GameScience dice are. When it was retired a few years ago, it was clearly pretty old. So my wife and I set out to recreate the photograph with modern dice. The photograph, measurements, and some analysis are here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the detailed article!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting!

Those results certainly seem extreme, though. 29% is ... well, it's a heck of a lot of 1s, enough that it should become noticeable to people rolling lots of d6s, and yet that's not the case.

I've played a number of games that involved rolling buckets of cheap, rounded d6s (just like many of you), and while I couldn't tell you just how random they were or which numbers they favored, I'm positive that no single number came up nearly a third of the time - especially not 1, which tends to stand out.

Again, an interesting read on a fun topic, but for now, I'll take that 29% with a (rounded) grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord this is impressive! I've always wondered about photos, and after buying some GS dice and inking them last year, the flashing and the lack of precision of my "inking" also had me curious about whether I was really getting more precision or just interesting (and in some ways annoying) dice.

I look forward to your rolling tests, assuming you wind up doing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the article, thanks for the hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My own completely unscientific process for picking out the d20 I use from my collection was to put all of them with the 20 facing up (so the 1 on the bottom) and feel how wobbly they were by pressing down with my index finger. There were definitely differences even in dice from the same manufacturer. It's only one side but if you want to get a crit you don't want a convex 1.

I have a reputation for bad luck in my group. I realize it's most likely confirmation bias, but I did play a D&D fighter for 6 months without getting a critical hit. I tend to pay attention to these things like dice construction because of this. Might pick up a gamescience die after reading this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
Very cool!

I've seen Lou's speech and it's a great way to pass 20 minutes. But I still dislike Game Science dice. Sharp edges. Flashing. Colors suck. Inking sucks (or, worse, I have to ink them myself). I'll stick with my beautiful Koplow sets although I have several sets of GS dice in the closet.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Very interesting!

Those results certainly seem extreme, though. 29% is ... well, it's a heck of a lot of 1s, enough that it should become noticeable to people rolling lots of d6s, and yet that's not the case.

I've played a number of games that involved rolling buckets of cheap, rounded d6s (just like many of you), and while I couldn't tell you just how random they were or which numbers they favored, I'm positive that no single number came up nearly a third of the time - especially not 1, which tends to stand out.

Again, an interesting read on a fun topic, but for now, I'll take that 29% with a (rounded) grain of salt.

Oops, got my signals crossed there. My skepticism applies to an article linked to by Alan, not to any of his work. Alan's article is terrific.

Apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.