-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the player count polls Brink of War shows even more people enjoy the 6 player game than in the Rebel vs. Imperium poll.

For those that have experience playing both, is there something intrinsic to BoW that actually improves the 6P game, or is this shift more likely down to something else.

(later expansion means more experienced players which could have increased 6P enjoyability rather than the expansion itself etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both quite a bit with 5p; I personally didn't perceive such a large change in the game as the poll and think it's just the small sample size.

However there are a few reasons people might rate it higher:
* Being a more complex expansion, only the veterans who like the game a lot are playing BoW at higher player counts
* There are quite a lot more cards, leading to more variety when there are more players (at lower player counts you don't go through the whole deck)
* More takeover cards leads to more takeover threats, which are more common in a larger game
* RvI games tend to be shorter (in game turns) than BoW, which may leave players in a larger game less satisfied
* Contesting Prestige Leader is fairly head-to-head, and it can go around the table more in a larger game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sample size
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More likely sample demographic rather than size (22 vs 36 is not inherently likely to change the ratio of who enjoyed what) but either way I got the message. Thanks for the feedback! That's what I needed to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
More likely sample demographic rather than size (22 vs 36 is not inherently likely to change the ratio of who enjoyed what) but either way I got the message. Thanks for the feedback! That's what I needed to know.

I mean, the differences in results aren't significant, likely well within range of the variance you'd expect to see. Don't think any conclusions can be drawn from the small differences. I am not a statistician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got that Serge, which is what I suspected, but couldn't be sure of having not yet played Brink of War myself. Thanks for the additional feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could also be that people tolerate variance/luck more in bigger games, so the card inflation over time does not bother them as much in that context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.